U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 11:48 AM

4,712 posts, read 10,171,009 times

Advertisements

Last night we had a planned power outage. I was considering going out to a movie as they said it could start as early as 8PM but it did not start until 9PM then did not come back on until around 4AM. There were no good movies that I wanted to see so I stayed home. I had on a fan, the TV and a light when the outage happened. Within seconds 50 lbs of shivering, shaking Chaos was on top of me. with Dazzle close behind. Both kept looking back like some dog eating ghost or monster was about to grab them and eat them.

I could not get them to calm down so took them out on the patio where I have some nice solar lights but after 1/2 hr they were still terrified. We briefly went out front but even with my flashlight it was pitch black out there and they were still terrified.

We came back in and I went to bed with Dazzle curled up beside me on the bed and Chaos standing with her head on my bed shaking and whimpering.

It is not just these two as Jazz and Dash would act the same way if power suddenly went out so does any one know what causes that? If I suddenly stand up turn the TV, light and fan off they are fine. But the power going out freaks them out...do the gates of hell open during a power outage ?

I use to think it was my fire alarm chirping to let me know the power was out and it was now on battery but the battery must be dead as it did not chirp last night. So guess I was wrong about that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 AM

5,102 posts, read 5,385,884 times
Maybe it's the absence of all sound? With no electricity, there's no white noise in the background. No hum of the refrigerator or other appliances.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:52 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,272,895 times
Had a power outage two months ago that lasted about seven hours (thanks to a drunk hitting a pole), and my dogs did not act any differently than if there was power. Yes it was quiet, and lucky for me my Nook had just been charged.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:55 PM

28,482 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Why do dogs fear power going out?
They don't.

Dogs respond to the mood and anxiety level of their person.
This is as true when the lights go out or when the gate opens at the dogpark.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:33 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,681,103 times
Maybe it's because usually a transformer booms and then all that stuff clicking off makes it completely silent, which in itself is kind of a sound.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:50 PM

4,712 posts, read 10,171,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They don't.

Dogs respond to the mood and anxiety level of their person.
This is as true when the lights go out or when the gate opens at the dogpark.

Well I was not anxious as I knew it was going to happen and being a big girl I am not afraid of the dark and already had some fake battery powered candles going and was all set for a quiet relaxing evening.

A friend said maybe they could hear a neighbors smoke alarm chirping, which is possible since their hearing is so much better then human hearing.But it is still odd to me they kept looking back like something behind them was about to get them which was not in the direction of my neighbors but rather a big hill .

Jazz and Dash use to open my linen closet dig everything off the bottom shelves and I will assume crawl in there if I was not home and my power went off ( I would know it had been off due to flashing clocks on stove and microwave and my linens being scattered down my stairs ).They would also do it if we had thunder and I was not home.Thank God thunder is rare here. So once again how could that be a responce to MY anxiety?

Old 08-24-2017, 04:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,222,255 times
That is interesting. Since it happened in the evening around the time it would normally be getting dark, I wouldn't think it would throw them off too much- not like the eclipse would have. Maybe as another poster said it was the complete absence of any ambient light or background white noise from various appliances. I wonder if it was so quiet they were hearing city noises they wouldn't normally hear and that spooked them?

My dogs couldn't care less about the power going out.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:37 PM

1,241 posts, read 904,570 times
Like most things, it is a learned response based on how you react..

If one has a storm, and owner is flying around the house- shutting windows and muttering about the storm- or commenting on " booms" of thunder etc- Dog is watching and learning..

Same with the power going off... person wakes up- bolting awake- late for work- cursing- no water ( if you have a well), etc... Dog is watching and learning - bad responses from yourself- and learns to fear it..

Finally- keep in mind- when the power goes off, the house " sounds different" to a dog. AC unit/heat is not runnning, fans are silent, lightening changes etc... Best reply from us is a " ohhh good.. time to just chill and wait... "...

Old 08-24-2017, 05:09 PM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
No idea.

No dog I have ever lived with has cared one way or another about power outages. Often they are accompanied by thunder, and the dogs don't care about that, either.

Is there a big substation in the direction they are looking? Maybe there is some electrical sparking and arching that they can hear?

Veering slightly off topic, but you brought it up; no dog of mine has ever been upset about the smoke alarm chirping.

I've lived with plenty of sensitive sight hounds, and not one of them has ever been bothered by a power outage.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:19 PM

2,180 posts, read 1,697,344 times
My dogs would freak out when the power went out because my house alarm and some of the smoke alarms would start chirping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or