U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of using a crate for your dog's sleeping quarters?
Yes 33 67.35%
No 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:51 AM

2,456 posts, read 1,991,356 times

Advertisements

My primary reason for using the crate for bed is that my dog is small and likes to "hide". If there were ever an emergency (fire) where we needed to get out of the house quickly, I can simply grab his crate and go. I don't have to worry about leaving him.

I used to not use a crate for my dogs. But when we had three, it got a little crowded in the bed! LOL

We had one dog though that simply could not handle the crate and we never forced it on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 09:29 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,248,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.....What a profound statement.......
Well, there is something to be said for that.

I foster (and adopted a total of four) retired greyhounds. So as you can guess, they're used to being crated. Now personally, I prefer my dogs to be uncrated and have free run of the house, however....

Greyhound Number 1 failed racing training before her second birthday, so was given to our adoption group. She didn't care for the crate, and once I knew she could be trusted, she didn't go back in it.

Greyhound Number 2 raced until she was four years old. So she'd spent more time at the kennels and initially greatly preferred her crate. I eventually got her to a point where she was okay being out of it, but it took a year.

Greyhound Number 3 raced until she was four years old. She'd been adopted out to another family who had her for six years, then circumstances forced them to relinquish her. I adopted her, and by the time I got her, she'd been uncrated for years. (Which was fine with me.)

Greyhound Number 4 (current one) raced until she was five years old, then was kept on at the kennels as a brood mama. She was given to us just last January to be adopted out, and I kept her. I'm hoping to eventually get her to 'uncrated', but it might not ever happen--every so often, she goes into it of her own free will and hangs out in it, so I'm guessing she views it as 'her place'. Given how much longer she was at the kennels and her age (she was just shy of her eighth birthday when we got her), she may very well be set in her ways about going to her crate when she wants to.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:12 AM

7,094 posts, read 4,033,958 times
We used a crate until our chocolate lab was potty trained. Now she has her own bed next to ours. And one in the office. And one in the family room.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:27 PM

31,273 posts, read 19,739,850 times
We crate trained our new puppy and it really helped for night time and when I left the house. Once he became trust worthy being left alone we left it up to him. Now he only goes there when I get mad at him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 AM

593 posts, read 267,408 times
I have always had large dogs - Dobermans and Golden Retrievers. All but the first Dobe came to us from rescues, and all including the first Dobe have been crate trained.

Introduced properly and trained with lots of positive reinforcement and rewards, my dogs love their crates! We have used both the solid plastic ones and the open black wire ones. They provide a safe space when the house gets too noisy or crowded. It wasn't unusual for me to find a Doberman and a Golden cuddling together in one crate. Looked like a pretty tight fit piled in there like that, but they did it voluntarily. LOL

Once trained to the crate, the dogs have free roam of the house, day and night, and their crate doors stay ajar. I hold them open with bungee cords so they don't shut on the dogs unexpectedly and frighten them. That's where they sleep (my dogs never have access to furniture), so my dogs only associate good things with their crates - clean, warm beds and comfortable sanctuary.

It is wonderful having the option to close the crates if company comes or if the dog is ill or recuperating from surgery, etc.; the dogs don't freak out because they are accustomed to being in their crates.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:48 AM

21,866 posts, read 21,987,770 times
Thank you everyone for the responses. We're home with our little dog and he absolutely loves his crate. We've never crated before, but since he feels so at home in it, we'll definitely use it at nighttime and when neither of us is at home during the daytime (which won't be often) until we know for sure that he's 100% housebroken.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:42 PM

740 posts, read 449,953 times
My golden retriever came to us when he was about 8 weeks old,and the breeder had already been crating him at night. We started using the crate at night just as a means to ensure he was safe. After the first couple of days, he got into a routine and now, a year and a half later, he voluntarily goes into his (much larger) wire crate in the evenings to await his biscuit. During the day he prefers to hang out in his bed in the living room, but I have noticed he'll go lay down in the open crate if he's feeling extremely exhausted or unwell.

On the very rare occasion that someone visits who is afraid of dogs, I usually crate him when the guests first arrive so he doesn't mow them down at the door with excitement (typical Golden). It allows him a few mins to relax and the person can approach him without being afraid he'll run or jump.

Overall, it's been a positive experience, but I can see how the crating process can be abused and create stress or behavioral issues if not done properly.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:59 AM

11,818 posts, read 15,432,391 times
we just leave the doors open and they go in of their own accord. Didn't even have to 'train' our little pup. She figured it out and loves her crate. She's crated all night and 2-3 days a week during the day for 6 hours.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 PM

965 posts, read 499,441 times
People on etsy make cute crate covers by the way. I am sure they have them everywhere though
Covers make them easier to look at. I actually got covers for the metal crates because I was worried one of the cats would jump on top and get a paw twisted.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:17 PM

31,273 posts, read 19,739,850 times
I bought a nice wood crate from BB&B. Looks like a piece of furniture... BUT he chewed on it, and THAT was stopped by rubbing hot peppers on the areas he like to chew.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or