U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 775 times

Advertisements

As a dog parent, it is significant that I always maintain the health of my dog into serious consideration. Now I am not criticizing others for utilizing Dog Food Advisor within any manner, but making sure that you blindly don't trust any dog food before discussing it with your vet.

So what can be the solution for it then?

Your prompt suggestion would be highly appreciated.
Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 10:57 PM

31,012 posts, read 13,578,167 times
I have gotten some really bad advice from vets about feeding my dogs, more than a few of them want to prescribe food and if you look at the ingredients on some of it you might as well be buying "Old Roy's" from Walmart, most of it is heavy on grains like corn.

I think Dog Food Advisor is a very useful site, I used to look at the reviews quite a bit but for the past several years we've been feeding our dogs Costco Nature's Domain and we alternate that with home cooked food. Nature's Domain is grain free and our dogs do well on it. One of our boy's is 8 1/2 and the vet said he's as fit as a 3 year old.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:42 PM

13,677 posts, read 13,587,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have gotten some really bad advice from vets about feeding my dogs, more than a few of them want to prescribe food and if you look at the ingredients on some of it you might as well be buying "Old Roy's" from Walmart, most of it is heavy on grains like corn.

I think Dog Food Advisor is a very useful site, I used to look at the reviews quite a bit but for the past several years we've been feeding our dogs Costco Nature's Domain and we alternate that with home cooked food. Nature's Domain is grain free and our dogs do well on it. One of our boy's is 8 1/2 and the vet said he's as fit as a 3 year old.
I also use Nature's Domain. I run into a lot of fanatics about high-quality food, but honestly, I think going "grain free" is probably the best option, and beyond that, it's not really such a big deal. You don't need to spend $80 on a bag of food to give your dog a healthy diet. Grain free, meat as the first ingredient and limited recalls are my main criteria. Everything else is gravy.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 PM

31,012 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I also use Nature's Domain. I run into a lot of fanatics about high-quality food, but honestly, I think going "grain free" is probably the best option, and beyond that, it's not really such a big deal. You don't need to spend $80 on a bag of food to give your dog a healthy diet. Grain free, meat as the first ingredient and limited recalls are my main criteria. Everything else is gravy.
I completely agree & those were my considerations too. I have friends who spend $2 or $3 a pound on dog food and their dogs don't seem any healthier than mine.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:59 AM

7,101 posts, read 2,911,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Just like any other professional, a vet may have personal preferences or get incentives from food producers to suggest their foods (Science Diet is a common brand). Of course there are formulations intended for specific health problems such as bladder stones, but it is still up to a dog's keeper to read the labels and decide what to offer. No one is forcing anyone to buy this or that. A good vet can alert you to a health problem (through diagnostic testing), they can give recommendations, but they can't force anything. I had had dogs with problems that a specific diet helped with, but I also do my own research to make sure I know what options exist.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:19 AM

4,659 posts, read 15,777,016 times
I would trust the research I find on Dog Food Advisor over a vet's suggestion any day. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for my vet when it comes to medicine, but they get minimal education during school when it comes to small animal nutrition!! Most of their "education" is from companies that offer incentives.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:09 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,506,203 times
I think dog food adviser does a pretty good job. You can read their comments and the comments of other people using the food. Also they send out notifications of recalls if you join that list. It is very helpful to see who keeps popping up with recalls.

Unless you have a holistic vet I wouldn't trust their advice on foods. It isn't bad to ask them. It is actually a good test of your vet to see what they say.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 10,178,066 times
I do not think most vets are really trained in nutrition so sadly they are the last people I go to for such info.

My first dog suffered from a horrible itch,the vet I had at the time kept putting her on antiobotics, steroids,frequent baths and said it was just what they liked to call the Santa Barbara Itch as way too many dogs here use to suffer from it.I kept asking could diet be responsible. .he assured me not and I was young and did not question him too much. As she was nearing the end of her life I started readingt more about diet and also the effects of too many vaccines. This was the 1990s so it was not as easy as jumping on the internet.

With my next dog Jazz who was a puppy I made a big change in what she would be eating and made sure she got a lot of the healthy omega oils in her food.I also rarely ever gave her a bath.Then I added Dash to my family. Neither dog ever had skin issues or the itch and both sported very healthy glossy coats that had others commenting on them.The vet I had started using before Maddie died asked me what I bathed the dogs in?He was impressed with thier healthy skin and coats when so many of his patients had the SB itch. I told me they had not had a bath in over a year it was what they were eating .He gave me a skeptical look but as time passed he started to believe me.

A few years later my parents dog Henry developed some weird skin lesions and started pulling his hair out.Their vet biopsies one lesion and said he had !upus and thus began years of him being on steroids, antibiotics frequent baths but no real Improvement.I had my mom ask her vet about diet and once again a vet said no diet had nothing to do with it.I told my mom to try feeding him what I fed my dogs but because the vet had said diet was not responsible she continued to feed what she had been. My mom died and I was able to get my dad to switch what Henry ate and to stop giving him all those baths but use a product called Willard Water to spray on his lesions as we tapered him off all the medicines .The poor dog was almost bald as when my mom died he ripped out what little hair he had.Within 2 weeks his itch had lessened as had his ripping out hair and new healthy hair grew in and for the first time in many years he had a healthy beautiful coat.I had to take him in to the vet for my Dad as Henry started having trouble with his legs no doubt from all those years of steroids.The vet said wow he looks good and I said yeah because we switched his diet and tapered him off of all meds and stopped the baths. The vet smiled and said no it was probably because of the steroids.

Now years later I have never had another skin issue with any of my dogs.I recently have started following the Ketopet Sanctuary

It is where a group of vets have taken shelter dogs with advanced cancer and using the ketogenic diet have seen amazing results even NED .Because I am following that I get stuff in my Facebook feed and Recenlty there was a vet that did a presentation to a group of vets about a dog that had a huge cancerous tumor ( a mast cell cancer) right outside his nose and the owner decided to put him on a ketogenic diet( which for dogs does mean raw food is involved).Slowly the tumor got smaller and smaller until it was gone. He said afterwards vets came up to him and said that is amazing ect ect but we could never do that at our clinic.When he asked why not the answer he got was because we do not believe in feeding raw!

That answer floored him as it does me, you would much rather give chemo, radiation etc then allow a dog to eat raw food even after hearing about the results the ketogenic diet has shown on canine cancers.?

...so if you feel the averge vet understands nutrition you might want to think about that.I will have to try to find d the link and post it

Old 08-26-2017, 01:10 PM

22,669 posts, read 28,685,250 times
I don't take internet advice on what to feed my dogs, other than to look up nutrition requirements and nutrition contents of various foods.

I cook for my dogs, becasue that way, I can be sure they don't get any food from China and are very unlikely to get any recalled foods.

My dogs do eat grain. Brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, very rarely wheat or corn, and millet and none of mine have any allergies to grain.

If I wanted to feed kibble I would read ingredients and evaluate by what is in the food, not by a website that may or may not be accepting advertising dollars.

It seems to me that all of the top tier kibbles are good, if someone wants to feed kibble.

If your dog is itchy then doing the elimination diet to see if you can identify an allergy is a good idea. If the dog has no allergy symptoms and looks good, acts good, and feels good, then there are not likely to be allergies. If the dog isn't allergic to the food and it isn't on the toxic list, then the dog can eat that food.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:17 PM

4,714 posts, read 10,178,066 times
Here is the link I was talking about watch it and you may understand why the average vet is not the person to ask for nutrition advice.

https://www.facebook.com/dogcancerse...VM&pnref=story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or