U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:40 AM

1,938 posts, read 349,461 times

Advertisements

So glad you got your sweet pup out of there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:56 PM

1,590 posts, read 820,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Some rescues are good and some are pretty awful. Some of them are badly underfunded. Some of them aren't much better than animal collectors. Some are actually puppy mills. Some are people who take free pets off of Craigslist and re-sell them.

As far as I know, rescues don't have to be licensed, so there is no one to complain to. Perhaps call animal control in her area and ask if there is one place you can file a compliant?

Ar least you got a nice dog for all of your trouble and expense
I'm going to second this comment. Animal control in her area, ask them if they know of her. Ditto Better Business, ditto humane society.

All in all, I think you got off lucky. Emergency clinics can get pricey quickly.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:02 PM

16,600 posts, read 14,084,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hi, all. My husband and I were looking for a new dog from a rescue outfit. We didn't see any dogs that fit what we were looking for here in Salt Lake City where we live, but we did see a picture of a darling Keeshond-mix in the Los Angeles area. We contacted the woman who was fostering him and filled out an application to adopt him. She approved it immediately, but refused to fly him out to Salt Lake (she said it would be "too traumatic" for him). So, we left early Friday morning and made the 10 1/2 hour drive to L.A., where we spent the night.

She was supposed to meet us the next morning at 10:00, but called us at about 9:50 to let us know she was running a bit late. She finally showed up at about 11:15. The dog was absolutely adorable. It was love at first sight. Then she said, "Oh, there is one little thing... He was attacked by a Doberman last night." She went into this whole song and dance about how it really was her girlfriend's fault, not hers, because she told her not to let them get together. She didn't really trust the Doberman since he belonged to some homeless guy who was staying with them. She then showed us the wound, which was kind of on his chest by his shoulder. It looked horrible. She said, "It doesn't look too bad. I cleaned it up and there's no infection. He should be fine." My husband said, "No way. This dog needs a vet and he needs one today." I said to her, "I don't suppose you'd be willing to split the cost with us, would you?" She answered, "I'm sorry. My fostering budget just wouldn't allow it. If it weren't a Saturday, we could take him to my vet and I'm sure he'd stitch him up for free."

Well, it was a Saturday, so her "does-stitches-for-free vet" wasn't available. We payed her the $300 we'd agreed on, signed her papers, and she gave us the dog's veterinary records, showing that he was current on all his shots. If it wasn't "in her budget" to care for him, I didn't know what else to do.

To make a long story short, we found a 24-hour VCN vet. It was about 12:30 PM by then. The vet was great. He examined the dog and said it would require surgery because there was a pocket inside the flesh that was filling up with fluid. He also found a bad tick infestation on him and removed more than ten ticks. We didn't end up leaving LA until just before midnight. The vet bill was $971.

When I got home, I looked up the name of the rescue outfit. Apparently, she was the founder of it and is the owner. So I obviously can't file a complaint with her about her. I could seriously use some suggestions as to what I should do at this point.

On a positive note... The dog is a doll and is he ever a happy, loving little guy!
Saw the pics in the other thread. He is a looker!

The reality is not all rescues are created equal. She sounds like a nice lady, but maybe in over her head especially if she can't even deal with tick prevenative. It happens sometimes. Nothing to really do about it now.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:53 PM

21,965 posts, read 22,136,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I'm going to second this comment. Animal control in her area, ask them if they know of her. Ditto Better Business, ditto humane society.
Yeah, I think I'm probably going to do that.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:40 PM

308 posts, read 149,817 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm probably going to do that.
Is it a 501 (c) rescue, or just a "rescue" in the name

Old 09-03-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxm98 View Post
Is it a 501 (c) rescue, or just a "rescue" in the name
Not sure. The name of the outfit is Hoochie Pooch. It was founded and is owned and operated by the woman we dealt with.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:00 AM

13,410 posts, read 6,713,100 times
She says she's a 501c and that the tax ID number is on her webpage.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She says she's a 501c and that the tax ID number is on her webpage.
I don't know what that means. Can you explain it to me, and would it make any difference in how the situation is handled if I were to report it?

Old 09-04-2017, 04:45 PM

13,410 posts, read 6,713,100 times
Quote:
I don't know what that means. Can you explain it to me, and would it make any difference in how the situation is handled if I were to report it?
It just means that she is a true non-profit. It costs about $1,000 to be one and there are other reasons (that I don't remember now) that not all rescues can or are willing to become one. I know one I think is a bit of a scam who definitely has the $1,000 so I think she doesn't want to be accountable for where her money goes.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It just means that she is a true non-profit. It costs about $1,000 to be one and there are other reasons (that I don't remember now) that not all rescues can or are willing to become one. I know one I think is a bit of a scam who definitely has the $1,000 so I think she doesn't want to be accountable for where her money goes.
Hmmm. Very interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or