Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:05 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxm98 View Post
Is it a 501 (c) rescue, or just a "rescue" in the name
There is a "rescue", actually a woman who has taken in 10's of thousands in donations over the past 12 years claiming on her rescue website that she is in the process of getting their 501(c)3. Nobody is calling her on it. One day, out of curiosity, I did a quick search and she had 3'arrests within a few years. Every month she sends out emails begging for donations.

There are so many scam rescues out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 04:14 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Not sure. The name of the outfit is Hoochie Pooch. It was founded and is owned and operated by the woman we dealt with.
Yes, they are listed as a public charity with the IRS.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

Old 09-05-2017, 04:35 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Quote:

On a positive note... The dog is a doll and is he ever a happy, loving little guy!
Keep this thought and let the rest go. Revenge will come back to bite you.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:05 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Hard to pass judgement without seeing the bite.

Some vets charge more, especially emergency vets.

I was charged under $200 for anesthesia, staples, stitches for my dog. I paid under $200 for X rays of his foot.

My neighbor paid something like $1200 for a few X Rays. Different vet, different brand, in a different neighborhood.

Vets have student loans, child support and alimony too, you know.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:16 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Hard to pass judgement without seeing the bite.

Some vets charge more, especially emergency vets.

I was charged under $200 for anesthesia, staples, stitches for my dog. I paid under $200 for X rays of his foot.

My neighbor paid something like $1200 for a few X Rays. Different vet, different brand, in a different neighborhood.

Vets have student loans, child support and alimony too, you know.
Yeah, but all that's beside the point. Whether it has cost us $971 or $97, we should not have been held liable for medical expenses that were incurred at the "rescuer's" home before we ever laid eyes on the dog. That's my beef. It's not what the vet charged us I'm angry about.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:00 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Yeah, but all that's beside the point. Whether it has cost us $971 or $97, we should not have been held liable for medical expenses that were incurred at the "rescuer's" home before we ever laid eyes on the dog. That's my beef. It's not what the vet charged us I'm angry about.
Hmm...I understand where you're coming from, but at the same time, you weren't liable for them. You could have not adopted the dog...I know that sounds cold, and that you invested a huge amount of time into everything but you were under no obligation to borrow trouble. I do get how heartless that sounds to someone that has a huge emotional investment in the situation.

This reminds me of breeder health guarantees...Someone on facebook was smearing a breeder regarding her puppy contract and health guarantee. Most of those guarantees allow for the breeder's vet (or alternative vet of breeder's choosing) to evaluate the dog before paying out the issue. This woman was ranting because the breeder wouldn't pay for an eye operation on a condition that is often misdiagnosed and can in many cases resolve itself. The breeder said she needed to take it to a different vet that the breeder specified (and paid.) The woman refused, and wanted the operation paid for at her vet. The breeder didn't go in for that, and it all went downhill from there.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:07 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Congrats on the new addition. I think you just ran into one of those god-awful amateur rescues. I can't imagine trying to hand a dog off with an open wound. That's crazy.

I think you and the dog got very lucky
ditto.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:29 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
You easily could have left.......for free

Old 09-06-2017, 04:50 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I didn't read through the entire thread, so if this has been suggested, my apologies for the repeat.

Look to see if the rescue group has a facebook page. If so, post an honest, but scathing review. Also, contact the shelters and ASPCA nearby her home (maybe withing 100 miles). Most 'rescues' take dogs out of the shelters. That's normally a good thing, but in this case, maybe not. Ask to speak with the Executive Director, not somebody who just answers the phone.

Most importantly, thank you for taking the dog. Most people would have driven away, particularly in face of a potentially large vet bill. May you and your new pup have many happy years together.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Well, and she lied. Said she was a foster. Probably she operates on a shoestring budget. She could have been more honest with you and said that. Listen, I'm an independent rescue. I don't have funding. I can't afford to do anything but take to my Vet who gives me a deal. In effect she did say that, and it was your choice to take to e-vet that she can't afford. In that sense, I am not sure what your complaint would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs