U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:24 PM

18,010 posts, read 22,749,611 times

Advertisements

Take it to small claims court. Let a judge sort it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:57 PM

13,369 posts, read 6,610,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Nothing to sue over. No contract was broken. OP paid the adoption fee and signed the contract after knowing the dog needed medical attention and that the rescue couldn't pay for it.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:03 PM

16,722 posts, read 14,615,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
we did see a picture of a darling Keeshond-mix in the Los Angeles area.
When I got home, I looked up the name of the rescue outfit. Apparently, she was the founder of it and is the owner. So I obviously can't file a complaint with her about her.
You might not be able to file a complaint with her, but you can absolutely spread the word about her, if you feel that froggy.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:08 PM

21,871 posts, read 21,999,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You easily could have left.......for free
Thanks, Einstein. You (and a couple of others) apparently missed the point. I was concerned for the dog's welfare, and realized that if the "rescuer" was not going to pay for the dog to be treated, he might have ended up having the wound get infected. She'd have ended up putting him down. I wanted the dog, so I paid for his treatment, but if this is the kind of outfit she's running, she is putting dogs at risk rather than rescuing.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No. I'm not after a reimbursement. I am concerned about how this woman can be so reckless with dogs she claims to be concerned about.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Einstein. You (and a couple of others) apparently missed the point. I was concerned for the dog's welfare, and realized that if the "rescuer" was not going to pay for the dog to be treated, he might have ended up having the wound get infected. She'd have ended up putting him down. I wanted the dog, so I paid for his treatment, but if this is the kind of outfit she's running, she is putting dogs at risk rather than rescuing.
How do you know she would put him down? Seems more likely she'd do a fundraiser.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:57 AM

8,197 posts, read 6,078,465 times
Eh...just in general, some of these foster groups can get obnoxious.

My brother and SIL wanted to adopt a pair of senior dogs, a Samoyed mix and a Great Pyrenese. They wouldn't adopt the dogs individually, and since they were 8 or 9 years old, they sat in a shelter for 7 months. They went to see the dogs and were told that "pending a home visit, they would be approved..." but they lived 4 hours away. My dad sat the rescue lady down and told her, "look, you have someone that wants to adopt two 7 month shelter residents, that are older dogs, big dogs, hairy dogs, and you're dragging your feet? You need to free up the space and food budget for other dogs if nothing else."

That isn't to say that there aren't some good ones out there, but too many of them are run by people with selfish motives or loonies. You know how the internet makes everyone an expert? Nowhere is that more true than with child rearing and pets.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
How do you know she would put him down? Seems more likely she'd do a fundraiser.
I don't know, but if she was not willing to take him to the vet in the first place (she figured her vet would stitch him up for free if he needed it), and wasn't even willing to split the cost with me (before she even knew how much it would cost), I don't have a lot of faith in her. I suspect she'd be able to pay to have the dog put down, but that's about all. She was just adamant about how she couldn't afford to get him treatment.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 AM

13,364 posts, read 7,347,254 times
Quote:
I don't know, but if she was not willing to take him to the vet in the first place (she figured her vet would stitch him up for free if he needed it), and wasn't even willing to split the cost with me (before she even knew how much it would cost), I don't have a lot of faith in her. I suspect she'd be able to pay to have the dog put down, but that's about all. She was just adamant about how she couldn't afford to get him treatment.
It's a far leap to assume she would have him put down. As a rescuer, she likely knew it would be several hundred bare minimum to take him to the emergency clinic and was hoping to ride it out until Monday when she could take him to her vet. Some vets offer discounts to rescues. My rescue saves about 550 dogs a year and we work with 4 vet offices. Due to the volume of dogs, we get a 50% discount with the two major vet offices we use. An emergency bill like you had would have blown her vetting for probably at least 4+ dogs at a minimum. IMO, the right thing to have done would have been to take him to ER due to high risk of infection. I wouldn't hunk too much about it and just enjoy your new pup. What she did wasn't right but it probably isn't actionable and is likely not even the worst a rescue is doing in the LA area.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 PM

Rescues are often running on a shoestring and will move heaven and earth to get anything done cheaper. They just don't have the resources to go to the e-vet for everything.

If she put that dog down she'd be run out of rescue on a RAIL. She would have watched the wound at home and done a fundraiser more than likely. I see she's done other fundraisers.

She was in a bad spot it being Saturday and you had come all that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or