Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:46 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times

Advertisements

No my dogs do not have under bites. The black and white dog is a sighthound so has that very long slender muzzle and someone just looking at him might assume he does as with the nose at the end it appears his upper jaw is longer but teeth wise his uppers and lower meet in a perfect bite. I think that long slender muzzle tends to give sighthounds a look like they are grinning much of the time. The other one also does not have an under bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 09:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
My current dog does not have an underbite, but she definitely smiles.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,290 times
My dog Izzy certainly does smile. (Yes, this isn't what the OP was asking...but I wanted to share the natural smiles of my dogs.)

The first picture is of Izzy (pup) and Kaya, my older dog who I lost 5 years ago. What I love about this picture is that not only is Izzy smiling, but so is Kaya, who (for the most part) "put up" with the invasion of the Izzinator into our household when Kaya was 14.

And this second photo...this had to be one of the biggest Izzy-grins I've captured in a photo. This was the day that he got his first Babbleball, and he was so enormously happy that his entire face appeared to be one big, dopey smile.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post

And this second photo...this had to be one of the biggest Izzy-grins I've captured in a photo. This was the day that he got his first Babbleball, and he was so enormously happy that his entire face appeared to be one big, dopey smile.
They are both great pictures, but the second one of Izzy is the very definition of "happy dog"! Love it!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:51 AM

155 posts, read 117,969 times
Yep. I agree with you Dashdog. We also have a sighthound (Italian Greyhound).
No it is not an underbite. She has given us some of the most unbelievable
smiles.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
No. "smile" in a dog is the front upper lip pulled back and the teeth exposed. It tends to be a nervous mannerism and looks quite aggressive, even though is it a submissive action. It's not an open mouth with all teeth exposed.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:23 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,861 times
Having Borzoi, Heck Yea they Smile ! Big Time !
Not all of them, but those that do can vary from showing a frontal smile, a side nose twist teeth glare- to a flat out frontal big time !
One of ours, Benjamin, smiles so much and so big that his teeth get dry, and his lips get stuck. He is one happy kind of guy
This is Not a smile of "submission", acceptance or anything else one would label it as... It is a Sighthound Smile- Collective, Loving, entertaining, and flat out silly response to anything joyful.
Attached Thumbnails
Does your dog "smile"?-dsc03443.jpg  

Old 09-04-2017, 01:25 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
My dog Izzy certainly does smile. (Yes, this isn't what the OP was asking...but I wanted to share the natural smiles of my dogs.)

The first picture is of Izzy (pup) and Kaya, my older dog who I lost 5 years ago. What I love about this picture is that not only is Izzy smiling, but so is Kaya, who (for the most part) "put up" with the invasion of the Izzinator into our household when Kaya was 14.

What great pics, bassetluv - these are definitely happy, smiling pups!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:27 AM

155 posts, read 117,969 times
Taffy smiles. It's not a pant. There are times i can say "smile" & she does. I would post a picture, but don't have one on my phone.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:35 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
In what way are underbites and smiles related? I don't see the connection.

Some people mistake other dog expressions, like fear or warning grins, for smiles. But dogs do have a happy, open-mouthed, lips drawn back slightly expression that, in my book, qualifies as a smile. It is the same sort of expression you get when the dog plays, but they often show it when they are just plain happy. If that ain't a smile, my mother wears army boots.

My dogs smile. And they don't have underbites. What's your point?

BTW - as for photos, dashdog and bassetluv have posted excellent photos of happy dogs exhibiting exactly what I call a dog smile. There is no submission grin involved - dashdog has shown them at play, with play-faces. When they stop playing and show the same face - or when they show the same face just because they are happy - THAT is a smile. Bassetluv has shown the latter - a dog at rest who is expressing joy in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs