Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 889 times

Advertisements

I elected to have my loving friend, for 15 year,Euthanized two months ago....She was my only dog and I live alone at 71. I saw the aging symptoms, but just couldn't imagine having her dead...never again to lie down to watch tv and share my dinners. Inkee was with me from the age of 6 weeks. So I became her mother so to speak and then, later, my companion. I had never had an animal put to sleep, so I was in for a rude awakening. I chose to be alone with her and talk to her lovingly, singing songs and stroking her. I felt she knew I was with her and let the attendant give her the first shot. She told me it would take 10 min. to take effect, but right away I looked into her eyes and she wasn't there anymore! I was apalled and quickly left the room. I felt like I was in the twilight zone as I looked around the room and saw people with their pets...I knew I had let the love of my life go see heaven. And the understanding that I would be forever without my precious Inkee, hit me like a brick. I couldn't speak and quickly left the reception area. Since that day, I have cried and cried. I feel so lonely. People try to comfort me by suggesting I get another dog....I know they are trying to help. but I just tell them I will never be able to have what I did with my dog. So I don't. I think this grief will be with me always....maybe in a lesser degree, bt I just don't know how to shake it. I know in my heart, it was the right thing to do. l have finally learned what true love is. So sad it took me so long to understand. My sister said it best, "what is dog spelled backwards? I answered "god". She told me that God gave us dogs to learn about unconditional love and she was a breeder. Thank you Inkee for coming into my life and being there for as long as you could.....Your mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 09:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
So sorry for your loss. It is never easy saying goodbye to a beloved pet. Just know she will live on forever in your heart and in your memories.

When I have to say good bye to a dog it helps to talk about them and tell stories about them. Even years later when I tell a story about one of them for those few moments it is like they are sitting by my side once again. Depending on the story some may make me cry but most make me smile.

While you can never replace a dog and to think you can is silly I can say that I have decided that as sad as saying goodbye is if they lived as long as I did I would not have known as many great dogs as I have. To me that would be sadder as each dog is special in its own way and has taught me a different lesson. While yes there was one that was very special and what I refer to as my once in a life time dog I have loved them all and feel life would have been emptier had I not known each one.

Feel free to come here and share photos and or stories about her as most here have lost a beloved dog and are willing to listen as they do understand. While you might feel alone you are not. ((((Hugs)))) .

Old 08-29-2017, 10:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

I'm sorry.

I know it's ridiculously hard.

I'm really sorry.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:52 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
so very sorry for the loss of your beloved companion. The grief can be so overwhelming and while that's natural it is still so painful. You'll never forget Inkee, of course, but the grief will lessen with time and you'll one day find yourself smiling or laughing and enjoying life again. I feel your pain through your post.....I'll pray for you to find peace. (((HUGS)))

Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 AM

308 posts, read 237,545 times
It is really hard and you can get stuck in the grieving process,and though things are getting better a lot of people still dont understand how you feel.

2 months is early days yet,in time you will be able to laugh about Inkees activities,but there will be days when you dont feel so good.

Until then just try and be good to yourself.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:22 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
BrendaFox: My heart goes out to you. There is not one of us dog lovers on the city data forum that don't know the pain you are going through. It hurts like you have lost a child. It can be debilitating and utterly devastating.

We had to put our "special" little dog down last June (2016) and there isn't a day goes by that we don't think of our little girl with both sadness and happiness at our memories, because we can also laugh at things she did.

In time, the pain will lessen. Give yourself as much time as you need to grieve. Everyone is different in their grief.

No dog will ever be the same as your beloved pooch, but you might want to try again when you feel up to it. I know getting another dog helped our hearts heal.

(HUGS)

Old 08-30-2017, 12:39 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Very sorry for your loss. You WILL recover and when you do, I hope you will consider taking a shelter dog.
It helped us.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:47 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
...No dog will ever be the same as your beloved pooch, but you might want to try again when you feel up to it. I know getting another dog helped our hearts heal.
(HUGS)

This is so true. Like the OP, I'm also 71. I've had older dogs of a large breed for 45 years but my favorite of all was a dog I adopted at the age of 9 in 2010. When she died on Christmas Day 2015 my heart went with her. For months I sat in my house and wailed, so loud that I'm sure the neighbors down the block could hear me.

Finally, one of my daughters forced me to go back to the rescue group where I'd gotten my heart-dog and look at another older dog. This dog had been in rescue for 14 months and it was believed that she was so unadoptable (due to her age and appearance) that she was boarded at a vet kennel for a good part of that time. Of course, I brought her home, still crying for my beloved deceased dog. But, over time, the new adoptee found a place in my heart and, although I'll always miss my other dog terribly, my heart is healing.

I tell you this to give you hope that your broken heart will start to heal. And, if you can find it in that broken heart to give a home to another dog who sorely needs one, your heart will mend stronger than ever.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:37 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Hugs. It's really hard to do the right thing, knowing the pain of loss you will have. Think of it as you taking on pain so your pet didn't have to.
Maybe consider fostering for a rescue. You'd be helping another animal, but without a long term commitment. Also, if something were to happen to you, or your circumstances were to change, the rescue would take the dog back.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:55 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I'm so sorry. I had to help my own sweet dog leave this world on August 4th. I have had to do this before, but this time I am actually in physical pain, it's that awful.

It will take you a lot of time. You will cry a lot. I will think of you and we'll both be grieving our losses. There is nothing else you can do right now, and there is no timeline. Just try to take care of yourself...eat and rest. (((Hug)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs