Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellema7 View Post
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I would never force my dog out of the world. Before humans invented euthanization, animals passed on their own time. I believe that is how it should happen, on their time and Gods.
The last two canine deaths at our home were dogs that "retired" with us after they got old and could not be trusted around our sons' toddlers.

One died "on her own time" but watching it happen was horrible. It took all night.

The next was going through the same process, and eventually I could not stand to watch any more. I took him to the vet and it was mercifully over in about a minute.

Both were comatose and completely unaware of anything.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. Euthanasia is a gift that we can give our pets and one that some of us believe should be available, with proper safeguards, for humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 PM

1,112 posts, read 883,160 times
Quote:
I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I would never force my dog out of the world. Before humans invented euthanization, animals passed on their own time. I believe that is how it should happen, on their time and Gods.
Even when the pet is crippled in the hind legs...crapping and pissing all over the place ......every day? Quality of life was non-existent for both of us. I had to do the humane thing. Quick....humane. Miss my boy...but not the pitiful life he had led the last week or two.

Mae

Old 10-07-2017, 03:23 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The last two canine deaths at our home were dogs that "retired" with us after they got old and could not be trusted around our sons' toddlers.

One died "on her own time" but watching it happen was horrible. It took all night.

The next was going through the same process, and eventually I could not stand to watch any more. I took him to the vet and it was mercifully over in about a minute.

Both were comatose and completely unaware of anything.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. Euthanasia is a gift that we can give our pets and one that some of us believe should be available, with proper safeguards, for humans.
I agree. One cat I had was dying - cancer under his jaw - and the vet recommended I take him home and let him pass away there on his own. So Tiger came home with me. He lingered for four days, couldn't really eat, was barely walking, just laid in his bed and slowly became thinner. I couldn't take it any more and finally took him back to the vet and had him humanely euthanized.

Death isn't painless or without prolonged suffering in a great many cases. This is why a beloved pet is assisted when they no longer have any quality of life, and especially when they are in pain. It's also why many countries now have legal assisted suicide. It is a final gesture of respect and caring for those we love, to not allow them to suffer needlessly in their final days.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:47 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,219 times
Quote:
I think that we could certainly say, "Before humans invented (xxxxx)...." to a great many things. However, because we humans didn't do something 50, 100, 500 years ago, doesn't mean that 'the old way' was better.

Euthanasia of our pets is an intentional way to end the suffering of an animal who can no longer be relieved of their pain, and who no longer has any quality of life. The word itself, 'euthanasia', is derived from the Greek word "euthanatos", and translates to mean "good death". To alleviate suffering in as gentle a way as possible is, to me, the kindest final act we can do for our pet. To leave a pet to suffer for hours, or days, or sometimes much longer, is prolonging sometimes unbearable pain where there is no hope...to me, that would be unconscionable. I went through it with my cat (see previous post) years ago, and there is no way I would ever let any animal go through that again.

We give our pets the best lives we can offer, and they give us their love in return. At the end of their lives, we owe it to them to provide the most gentle, loving passing possible, free of prolonged pain and suffering. To say it is natural to allow an animal to die a painful, prolonged death because that's the way it used to be done is, to me, an act of cruelty. I think that most pet lovers would agree.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:25 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,276,634 times
Quote:
If you own a dog, a cat, a horse, a cow, a bunny.... These are animals domesticated by humans thousands of years ago. Did you take it to the vet for medical care? If so, you have already intervened in what you think was "natural" for your pet. There is nothing "natural" by the time your pet finished its long life and only wants a painless exit, then you think it is okay to retract everything you have done for it?

Dying is a slow, painful process. Most, including humans, will die that way. The lucky ones get to die in their sleep or suffer from heart failure or cardiac arrest so their dying is quick. Do yourself a favor and watch how a "natural" death process is like. Such process includes the lungs being filled with fluid because the heart becomes increasingly weak to pump the blood, the body refuses all water and food so toxins build up inside and dehydration sets in causing nausea, confusion and discomfort. Dying can take hours or days to complete, and will continue after your pet loses consciousness but that too takes a long time.

OP did the right thing. And if your God is a merciful one, he or she would agree as well.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have an update about Bella. She missed her 2PM appointment with the vet, and instead passed peacefully in her sleep at home, on her favorite bed.

I'm not sure how much this had to do with it, but I spoke to her last night and told her that we loved her, and that she'd been a very good girl, but that now it was alright to leave. We stayed on the porch together until night fell. I covered her in her favorite blanket and took her into the house, with out lifting her off the bed. I continued to reassure her, that she was free to go, until I fell asleep on the couch at about 1 AM.

When I awakened at 9, my husband told me she had passed.

I called the vet to cancel her appointment, and remarked about how strange it was. Her reply was that it is not at all unusual for this to happen, and I might be surprised by how often it does.

I am so happy that she didn't have to go through the ordeal of seeing the vet. Even in her youth, she was skittish about that, more so than my other animals.

I really want to thank each and every one of you, who took the time to respond, and to offer me kind words. You have helped to make this easier, and I appreciate it more than you know.

Also, I am sad, but relieved that Bella is at peace. She is being cremated, and we will have her urn and paw print to remember her by.

RIP Sweet Bella.
Sheena, I'm just now seeing this thread and I'm so sorry you and your family have had this experience. I think most of us have been here at one time or another.

I had to tell my mother it was OK for her to go. I listed all her accomplishments and how proud I was of her and said her work was done and it was time. She was not even awake/conscious but I know she heard and understood. In 36 hours she was gone.

My sincere condolences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs