U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer one of these combinations over the other?
One male and one female 16 76.19%
Both the same gender 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:49 PM

21,866 posts, read 21,987,770 times

Advertisements

We've decided to get a second dog as a companion to our 3-year-old Keeshond-Pomeranian mix, Friederik. Initally, we'd thought of getting a female, but are now considering getting a male. We've had two females at once before, and a male and a female together, but have never had two males. I'm wondering what experience you have had with having two male dogs. Two females were never an issue; would it be pretty much the same with two males?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 01:48 AM

13,355 posts, read 7,339,941 times
I currently have two males and no issues. They don't really play together but do get along well. Over the past four years I have had a couple dozen fosters come through my home and when I had two males of my own I would pick female fosters as I didn't want males coming in trying to mark in my home. I happen to prefer male dogs for my own as they bond more closely with a female owner. That said, I have had three fosters that became aggressive towards the other dogs in the house. Two were female and one was a male. The male was sweet as could be until he failed in an adopted home and returned damaged.

There are no hard and fast rules and you will likely get a lot of responses recommending getting a female as the second dog. If you do, she might very well bond more closely with your husband. Does Friederik seem to enjoy the company of other dogs? Many dogs are quite content to be only dogs. Ideally, if you do adopt they will allow a trial period to ensure it is a good fit for everyone in the house including Friederik. Rather than focus on sex, look for a solid dog with a great temperament.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:26 AM

16,567 posts, read 14,005,185 times
It is more important to get a dog whose temperament and energy level will work well with yours. If both dogs are dominant it is best of they are different genders. Sometimes dominant dogs don't like dogs of their own gender at all. Similarly, a low energy dog and a high energy dog is not going to work out well as a companion to the original dog.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:56 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,944,669 times
I prefer female dogs over males when it comes to dogs (males when it comes to cats), so there was no question and despite being discouraged over having two females, I have done it twice with great success. A little over 5 years ago, we adopted a female yellow lab (age unknown probably 7 or 8 at the time) already having a 7 year old female chow/shepherd. The other time it was an adult Norwegian Elkhound/Border Collie Mix female and adding an American Eskimo puppy. I would think with males, in certain breeds, very dominant might be a problem, but that would probably apply to females also. Males generally are more of a problem together when not neutered or that is what I have seen.

I just don't think it makes any sense to believe that all males and all females are the same, thus making the silly rule about not mixing female/female and male/male.

Pay particular attention to how you introduce the dogs: How To Successfully Introduce A Second Dog Into Your Family. The Barking Lot

Old 09-21-2017, 08:47 AM

3,918 posts, read 2,554,134 times
Same sex can work and as noted above it's important to match temperament and activity level but usually it's best to get a dog of the opposite sex. It will give you the best chance for success.

It's more important IMO for dogs like GSDs similar breeds (of course there are individual exceptions). It's less important for dogs like goldens or beagles. The more dominant and "dog aggressive" (not exactly the words I want - maybe "less dog social" would be a better way to phrase it) a breed tends to be, the more important it is IMO that you not have two dogs of the same sex. For dogs like goldens that usually like other dogs, it's not that important. Similarly, beagles were bred to run in packs and are highly dog social so two of the same sex would probably be fine.

There isn't a hard and fast rule but usually it's easier to have one of each sex and depending on the breed and/or personality of the dog, it may be critical.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:10 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I think, based on what I've read so far, that we'll probably continue to try to find a female. For some reason, there don't seem to be as many available, although maybe that's just because that's what we're looking for. Friederik seems to love other dogs, although I sense that he most enjoys dogs that are larger than he is, and we're not looking for a large dog this time around. He is neutered, so that may make a difference in how he'd do with another male. But then, we'd be having the other male neutered if he's not already. Right now, I don't really know whether he'd be considered the alpha or not.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:01 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
initial reaction is a female for your fella, but two boys CAN do just fine together.... I think it can be more difficult for two females to bond then two males.....

But as others have said, the overall temperament of the second dog and how he or she and Friederik get along is WAY more important than the gender......

Old 09-21-2017, 01:31 PM

119 posts, read 75,823 times
The Animal Behavior Clinic at Tufts looked at aggression between dogs in the same household. Here is a link to an article about the findings. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...same-household

Only 32% of conflicts were between 2 males.
Treatment resolved the problems in 75% male-female pairs, 72% male-male pairs, 57% female-female pairs.

I would not rule out getting a male dog but if all things were equal (which they never are) I would go with a dog of the opposite gender. Whatever gender you choose if you see tension developing go to NILIF if you know it and/or get an appointment with a good behaviorist(none of that Dog Whisperer stuff).

Old 09-21-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaynes288 View Post
The Animal Behavior Clinic at Tufts looked at aggression between dogs in the same household. Here is a link to an article about the findings. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...same-household.
Interesting article! Thank you.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 AM

22,505 posts, read 28,404,027 times
Safest combination is opposite sex.

Ive always had more than two dogs, so always dogs of the same sex. This is my experience. Two males will have a disagreement and when it is over, it is over. Two females will have a disagreement and they will bear a grudge forever, sometimes to the point that they can't be left alone together.

A lot of having more than one dog in a peaceful household is about owner management. Dont try to be fair to both dogs. Let THEM Decide Between THEMSELVES Who Is Higher status, AND Then YOU Favor THE Higher Status Dog AND Back Him up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or