Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,454 times

Advertisements

I brought my dog (a lab/golden retriever mix) up to bed with me the other night. She went into the room ahead of me and started barking a horribly mean bark that I rarely hear out of her. We have a door that goes to the outside in our room, so I was a little nervous at what she could be barking at and cautiously went into the room. My husband had hung his suit on the curtain rod on the door, and Shelby was barking at that. Husband comes upstairs asking what's going on so I told him with a "so THERE" attitude because he was insisting that Shelby would just lick somebody to death if somebody from a shady area of our town approached me while I took her for a walk. That bark told me she definately would not be licking anybody like that. She did scare the crap out of me though. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
I know what you mean. My dog is the most friendly thing in the world, loves everyone, but she's gone ballistic a couple of times when there's been something new that she didn't recognize. New curtains in the bedroom got that same mean growl and bark routine. So did a 13" tall Buddha statue when I brought it home and set it in the windowsill, boy did she freak over that. Took me a while to figure out what she was upset about because I thought she was looking OUT the window, when in fact she was disturbed by the statue on the windowsill.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:28 AM

Totally understand that. She barks like crazy at the computer's printer. Kooky thing.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
My little fella goes ballistic when my son plays with his robot dog. I swear he'd rip it from robot limb to robot limb if he could!

Sounds like you have a good protector there

Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 AM

575 posts, read 3,694,333 times
PRAISE he up and down for that and occasionally recreate it. Some day she might serve as your first line of defense by warning you.

Gooooood dog, goooood Shelby, good!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
PRAISE he up and down for that and occasionally recreate it. Some day she might serve as your first line of defense by warning you.

Gooooood dog, goooood Shelby, good!
Thanks-we did

Old 03-17-2008, 01:00 PM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,433 times
Tonka earned his kibble over the weekend, too! Our apartment complex is usually very quiet. However, in the middle of the night on Saturday, he woke up and started doing this very menacing growl. His usual bark is this goofy noise that sounds like a train whistle. So we knew something was up.

DH went over to the window, and to our surprise there were about 4 police units with lights flashing. It was hard to tell, because we didn't go outside... but it looks like they were arresting someone for something. We don't know what was going on... but Tonka sure warned us about it!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:03 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,678 times
I had a doxie mix about 25 lbs that was my son's and my BIG protector. Son went to spend the weekend with the ex and wanted to take the dog with (I was worried that the ex would be abusive to her, so I told my son to keep an eye on him and how he treated her. The dog wasn't crazy about men. My son was 9 at the time.)
My son came home the next day and said him and his dad were wrestling and Cassie (the dog) didn't like that at all, and then his dad picked him up and threw him on the bed, and Cassie went flying up and grabbed his dad's upper arm and wouldn't let go. She was just hanging on growling at him. No one could play rough with my son with her around. That was HER boy!
Cassie (told me) the ex tasted just like "chicken"!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:08 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,198 times
OP it sounds like you have a wonderful watch dog.

I have a wonderful MinPin "watch dog" who sounds extremely menacing. I love it! Yesterday our little monster got her cackles (sp?) up and started the mean growl and bark. I looked over to see what was there and low and behold it was a big snake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs