U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:44 PM

10,727 posts, read 10,123,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You may find that his condition improves over the next year. Our dog was a senior and improved a little at a time until now, she does just fine at 12 years of age. Injury was about 4 years ago. Because of her sensitivity to medications due to her breed, it was worth trying another approach before looking at surgery.

In the meantime if you still decide surgery is necessary, you can do some things to help:

https://notesfromadogwalker.com/2013...rgical-option/
Dog ACL Injury-- Is Surgery Really Needed?
Treating A Torn Cruciate (ACL) Holistically - Dogs Naturally Magazine

So, by trying to natural approach while you wait, I could still see a benefit.
Thank you. Yeah we'll see. That's why we're giving it a year. Once he's been with us a few months, definitely going to explore the canine rehab route. Surgery is invasive, and he's older too. Ultimately, I just want him to have a good quality of life. I'm concerned about long term use of NSAIDs too but the pain needs to be managed. He does manage fine though on the current regimen...he has the stiffness and sitting is hard. he lays around more than normal because of his injury. however, he has been known to jump (!) in happiness when he's fed dinner and tears off like a bat out of hell when in sufficient play mode. We have to be mindful of his weight though...especially since he doesn't exercise.

Well it's been three weeks and he's just quite frankly such a joy. Everyone really loves being with him, as he loves being with everyone. He continues to walk the kids to the van for school - it's his duty. We snuggle nightly - I get on the floor and give him some quality time. One time I nearly got him to fall asleep with a great massage! So lucky to have him. He's adopted us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 01:49 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,052,975 times
He sounds like a wonderful dog and you are a wonderful person/family for adopting him. I love to read stories like this.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 PM

4,706 posts, read 10,132,846 times
Wally sounds like a great family dog. Glad you found each other!

Old 10-17-2017, 03:01 AM

5,709 posts, read 4,129,378 times
Awesome story after the troubles you had with the first adoption. So happy for you and for your pooch. I love happy endings

Old 10-17-2017, 02:31 PM

31,359 posts, read 19,773,299 times
Congrats!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-17-2017, 02:58 PM

10,727 posts, read 10,123,152 times
Default oh WALLY

Look who we caught red handed relocating my husband's slipper
Attached Thumbnails
Adopted another senior dog-img_3686.jpg  

Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,733,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Thanks guys I'll always have a soft spot for the seniors.

Wally has been nothing short of amazing. Sweet sweet dog.

It's only been a month, but we've really a lot since Voodoo. Like I said, we're taking things slowly...just the dog and us, learning about each other. I find myself studying his body language more, and as a result I'm gaining more insight to how he feels. I in turn give instruction to the kids so that they can better understand how he feels. While it's been established that he is "good with children", that doesn't mean that he should "just take it". By studying him, I learn about his mood. When he's relaxed. When he's uncomfortable. When he's feeling nervous. When he's feeling playful. For example, my oldest daughter used her foot to rub his belly and I noticed a lip lick and another cue ("I don't really care for that, please"), so I told her do not pet with her foot. Get down on his level and give him a rub. I demonstrated to my six year old the "consent test", so that she can discern when he wants petting and when he doesn't care for it. True to his nature though, consented more times than not!!

We plan on starting family obedience training soon. He already came to us knowing some commands, so we've been doing some training on our own.

As for the injury, we're definitely going to explore our options, and do whatever is best for him so that he lives a life with minimal discomfort/pain.

Right now he's sleeping behind me
Blessings come in all sorts of 'packages', my 2 seniors are fast asleep...snoring. The oldest is the 'home grown' variety and the next is a persnickety rescue...who I love as deeply as my 'home grown' guy! Bless you all!

Old 10-17-2017, 04:21 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,052,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Look who we caught red handed relocating my husband's slipper
He's a retriever . . .it's his job!

Old 10-17-2017, 04:31 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,313,334 times
Oh wow, what a cutie. Congrats!

I'm so glad you opened your home again, you have a good heart

Old 10-17-2017, 05:26 PM

2,524 posts, read 986,368 times
Excellent news, riaelise. Love love love.

I'm going to suggest you consider cooking his food as he is underexercised due to his injury.
Kibble is NOT good for dogs contrary to what we are told. So much filler and low quality crap in it.
When I had two 65lb dogs a big pot of food lasted me a week.
Chicken, rice, pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling, plain canned pumpkin), hardboiled eggs WITH shell crushed up, liver, beef I'd buy on sale, all in a pot together, boil, simmer, easy peasy. I do the same for the 4lb chi I now have but have to make far smaller portions. My big guys loved a hardboiled egg as a treat as well, WITH shell; just squeeze it in your hand first to break the shell. NO raw eggs; raw eggs cause dogs to malabsorb biotin.

Homemade food (raw is even better) is the way to go.

You should get him a dog playmate just sayin. Two is always better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or