Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:18 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

It's been a month since I last posted after we made the decision to return Voodoo to the rescue.

As fate would have it, the rescue organization that had placed Voodoo with us reached out to us two weeks later about another possibility. A Golden/Lab mix had been picked up from a rural field and taken to the local shelter. No one claimed the dog. After the usual battery of temperament and other tests were administered, the shelter immediately reached out to the rescue because he was very friendly and easily adoptable. He charmed the intake staff at first sight. Because of his congenial temperament the rescue owner initially reached out to us because she thought he would be the perfect match for a family with children. At the time we were contacted, the dog had been in foster for about three weeks. The rescue owner was very sure that this dog was "the one". Admittedly, we were hesitant about adopting so soon. The entire ordeal did have an effect on our family and we wanted our six year old daughter to mentally heal before introducing another dog. The rescue owner said that she believed the dog to be great with kids. He was currently in a foster with three very active children and the foster raved about him. She also said that we could "foster to adopt" to see if it would work. She also gave me the contact information of the foster, which proved to be very very helpful.

IMO, this foster was far more helpful and forthcoming than the other one. When I reached out to the other lady about things I had observed, I was often given very unhelpful responses. This person was far more helpful. She sent me several pictures and videos showing me the dog's interaction with her children. We also had a very long phone conversation. She absolutely raved about the dog, particularly his calm nature and his interactions with children. He actively sought them out for affection and seemed to fit into her household. She mentioned that she threw a slumber party for her eight year old and he was in the middle of it all, looking for love. She was a seasoned foster, with four big labs and three kids who were far busier than mine, so I trusted her assessment.

I talked it over with my husband and something within our guts told us to go for it, so we did. On September 24, we brought Wally home. It has been great ever since, we love this dog so much. He was everything they said, if not more. He adores the children and revels in their attention. He is bringing the six year old around and she is coming out of her shell. He is a true lovebug and very calm.

My husband and I have learned a lot since the last dog/incident. As you know it was a real eye opener for us and we are far more aware now than before. I've researched dog body language and read Calming signals and boy, did that make a difference. I carefully observe his body language now, especially around the kids. In turn, it's enabled me to properly train the kids on how to interact with the dog. The six year old is very open to training, which has been great. We are taking things very slowly, unlike before. No daycare, etc. or things that can stress him out during this introductory period. Right now it's just him and us. Each day we are getting to see more and more of his personality.

He's seven years old, a perfect age. The kicker is, though, is that he sustained an ACL tear sometime in his past life. He has no history. People think that he was maybe a farm dog that had wandered off a property but who knows. No one claimed him. We adopted him with the full knowledge that he was lame in his hind leg and would need care. he hobbles around on three legs and does not like walks. he has flat out refused to go on a walk, even to the end of the cul-de-sac. going up a flight of stairs is impossible. His world is our first story and our back and front yard. If that works for him, then that works for us. We make sure we are downstairs as much as possible and follow his lead as to what he can stand. I feel for him though, because I think if he had his mobility, he would be a completely, more spirited dog. As he's spent more time with us, I started seeing his "spazzy" retriever side, bouncy and jumpy. His mind has him running around but his body betrays him. we have to make sure we don't rev him up too much. Right now we are on a treatment plan that has him taking Rimadyl daily for pain management. He also has arthritis due to the injury. The Rimadyl is giving him decent QOL but ultimately, we will need to have the surgery done. we are shooting for next year, it will cost at least $3500. We needed to do some more home improvements, but this fella is so worth it. he is the dog for us. it's a match. throughout all of this we learned that as with anything, it's all about the right dog for the right family. doesn't mean the family's bad, or the dog is bad. sometimes it's just not a match. the rescues try their best but there is no crystal ball. we ALL learned from the last experience.

Anyway, just an update of sorts. I've attached a few photos of our boy. his name is Wally. looking forward to good years and experiences with him.
Attached Thumbnails
Adopted another senior dog-img_1273.jpg   Adopted another senior dog-img_1289.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 02:23 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
You are awesome riaelise! Adopting a big 7 year old dog with surgery needed, so very generous. Big Wally looks and sounds like a sweetheart. Nice to see such goodness on toxic CD. Well done!

Old 10-12-2017, 03:57 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
YEA so happy for everyonel High^5

Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Wally has found a true gem!

Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
So happy to read this update! And even happier that you adopted an older dog! Older dogs are the best.

Sorry about the ACL. I adopt only older large dogs of a breed that's prone to ACL injuries so I've dealt with my share of them. Many years ago I had an older dog go through it and the results were not good so I've tried to do everything to avoid it since then. Daily Rimadyl and Tramadol have kept all my older dogs after that one from needing ACL surgery.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Thanks guys I'll always have a soft spot for the seniors.

Wally has been nothing short of amazing. Sweet sweet dog.

It's only been a month, but we've really a lot since Voodoo. Like I said, we're taking things slowly...just the dog and us, learning about each other. I find myself studying his body language more, and as a result I'm gaining more insight to how he feels. I in turn give instruction to the kids so that they can better understand how he feels. While it's been established that he is "good with children", that doesn't mean that he should "just take it". By studying him, I learn about his mood. When he's relaxed. When he's uncomfortable. When he's feeling nervous. When he's feeling playful. For example, my oldest daughter used her foot to rub his belly and I noticed a lip lick and another cue ("I don't really care for that, please"), so I told her do not pet with her foot. Get down on his level and give him a rub. I demonstrated to my six year old the "consent test", so that she can discern when he wants petting and when he doesn't care for it. True to his nature though, consented more times than not!!

We plan on starting family obedience training soon. He already came to us knowing some commands, so we've been doing some training on our own.

As for the injury, we're definitely going to explore our options, and do whatever is best for him so that he lives a life with minimal discomfort/pain.

Right now he's sleeping behind me

Old 10-14-2017, 02:02 AM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
I'm so happy for you! The picture of Wally with your children is so sweet, he looks extremely relaxed. You were so committed to trying to make things work with Voodoo, I have a great deal of respect for you.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
ThaNk you for doing this.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:47 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
You may find that his condition improves over the next year. Our dog was a senior and improved a little at a time until now, she does just fine at 12 years of age. Injury was about 4 years ago. Because of her sensitivity to medications due to her breed, it was worth trying another approach before looking at surgery.

In the meantime if you still decide surgery is necessary, you can do some things to help:

https://notesfromadogwalker.com/2013...rgical-option/
Dog ACL Injury-- Is Surgery Really Needed?
Treating A Torn Cruciate (ACL) Holistically - Dogs Naturally Magazine

So, by trying to natural approach while you wait, I could still see a benefit.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:27 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I tried to adopt a senior dog from the pound once, and they wouldn't let me, with no explanation. They just told me "you should get a puppy instead". I told them that wasn't a good fit for me and I'd much prefer an older dog, but they wouldn't listen. If I try to adopt again, it won't be through the pound. It will be a petfinders organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs