Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 01:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times

Advertisements

I grew up where this was an issue and people did use family pets in this way. I don't see it as a problem. I also don't understand about not letting dogs outside unsupervised. I could see that for a pom or a tiny poodle, but not for a big strong working dog. And yes...something *could* happen. But it doesn't happen a lot. People still work dogs on farms...its not a bad thing.

I had a Catahoula before and I would think 1 would be ideal for this. I did live in the city but she loved the outdoors and she was protective of our home and our other dogs. Her bark was something else, which is usually enough to keep unwanted animals away. She was about 45 lbs.

Man, she loved being outside and she would have loved a bigger yard. We got her as a rescue and had no idea what her breed was and wouldn't have gotten her if we knew. Because they need space and a job. Catahoulas are also super tough. Although this one was pretty pain sensitive when not in protection mode. She was also a loving family dog, but did prefer being outside "working" to being inside much of the time.

They can be stubborn to train, but no more then a jack russel. And they are super smart with great eye sight. Females are smaller. I also think females are more protective then male dogs...but I have only had one male dog and the rest have been females. So I could be wrong.

Perhaps talk to a Catahoula breeder to see if they think their dogs would be good for your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 02:09 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I'm not looking for a dog to kill coyotes, I'm just looking for one to keep them away. I'm less concerned with our chickens then our small dog getting attacked again. Our neighbor's German Shepherd has never had an encounter with a coyote that they know of. His presence seems to keep them away though.
Don't let your small dog run loose outside. Problem solved.

To expect a dog to keep coyotes away without being able to kill them if it needs to is unfair to the dog. If I had to protect my property or animals from coyotes, my first pick would be a Great Pyrenees. I spent just under a year with a housemate who had two, for this very reason, and they are wonderful dogs.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I grew up where this was an issue and people did use family pets in this way. I don't see it as a problem. I also don't understand about not letting dogs outside unsupervised. I could see that for a pom or a tiny poodle, but not for a big strong working dog. And yes...something *could* happen. But it doesn't happen a lot.
Loose dogs get hit by cars, injured in dog fights, get lost, are stolen, get shot by humans etc. Those things happen all the time. They're not rare occurrences.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
I read where someone referred to it as "the rainbow bridge syndrome," but its crazy to me how many people have problems with mankind using dogs in jobs they were developed and bred for.

Hounds chase and bay up furred game, including mountain lions, bears, and hogs. Sometimes, they "get got."

German pointing breeds (German Wirehaired Pointer, Munsterlanders, German Shorthairs,) are used for varmint control and will gleefuly dispatch furry animals.

Pitbulls are wonderful catch dogs for hogs. Many a pit that is trusted around the children of the family will proudly engage and catch a wild pig with tusks slashing at him for the hunter to come in and finish the deed.

Collies live outside their whole lives, and are happy as can be bringing in the cows for milking or herding the sheep.

Great Pyrenese, Tatra's, Maremmas, will all gladly take off after any threat to their domain and do what must be done.

Sometimes this comes at risk of bodily hard. So it is in the natural world.

In any case, I really think that the county/state has a professional trapper under contract where OP could call and have him trap the local coyotes.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:11 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,827 times
Get yourself a pair of Bullmastiffs

Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I read where someone referred to it as "the rainbow bridge syndrome," but its crazy to me how many people have problems with mankind using dogs in jobs they were developed and bred for.

Hounds chase and bay up furred game, including mountain lions, bears, and hogs. Sometimes, they "get got."

German pointing breeds (German Wirehaired Pointer, Munsterlanders, German Shorthairs,) are used for varmint control and will gleefuly dispatch furry animals.

Pitbulls are wonderful catch dogs for hogs. Many a pit that is trusted around the children of the family will proudly engage and catch a wild pig with tusks slashing at him for the hunter to come in and finish the deed.

Collies live outside their whole lives, and are happy as can be bringing in the cows for milking or herding the sheep.

Great Pyrenese, Tatra's, Maremmas, will all gladly take off after any threat to their domain and do what must be done.

In any case, I really think that the county/state has a professional trapper under contract where OP could call and have him trap the local coyotes.
I have no problem with working dogs being used for things they are bred to do. I have a problem when it's to solve a problem that could be fixed more easily otherwise. This guy isn't a rancher. He's got a terrier and a few chickens. Easiest solution is to keep the terrier inside unless there's someone out there with it and use better locks and fencing on the chicken coop.

The dogs that would "solve" the problem he's presenting come with a host of complexities and aren't for casual dog owners. They require extensive training and socialization.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,757,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

I have no problem with dogs doing what they are bred for. In fact, I think it's good for working dogs to have a job but a dog performing their job and having the dog live as a member of the family are not mutually exclusive (except for livestock guardians).

I don't know why you think collies are happy to live outside. The ones I've known have liked living inside. I've trained dogs to herd and even the working border collies lived inside or were in a kennel at night. You have romanticized dogs and their jobs. You're description sounds like something in a novel. Reality is not quite so pretty.

I don't want to derail the thread so I'll about using dogs to catch hogs. For the record I have no issue with wild pigs being killed, those things are dangerous.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:47 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
A neighbor's rottweiler was attacked by coyotes. A different neighbor had two newfoundland dogs killed by coyotes, so I don't know how big a dog has to be to be coyote proof.

The sheep guarding dogs work in pairs and the coyotes are more interested in eating sheep than dogs.

I had a pack (five) of Scottish Deerhounds and the coyotes were terrified of them, but that didn't keep the coyotes off my property. I would see them gather at the fence and when they were all together, they would run as fast as they could run across the fields.

I would let them get midway and then loose the hounds. The coyotes would get tumbled and roughed up, but that didn't stop them from coming and it didn't stop them from attacking my sheep or trying to dig into the barn. Generally, coyotes have no fear of dogs because very few dogs can run fast enough to catch a coyote.

OP get a better fence for the chickens and I recommend a secure dog run, heavy guage top and floor attached to a dog door so the little dog can go out and be safe.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
If a coyote can't read my dogs message to stay away, that's gonna be a dead yote.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:26 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I have no problem with working dogs being used for things they are bred to do. I have a problem when it's to solve a problem that could be fixed more easily otherwise. This guy isn't a rancher. He's got a terrier and a few chickens. Easiest solution is to keep the terrier inside unless there's someone out there with it and use better locks and fencing on the chicken coop.

The dogs that would "solve" the problem he's presenting come with a host of complexities and aren't for casual dog owners. They require extensive training and socialization.
And call the government trapper, as I've recommended a time or three. He's a pro that knows how to catch them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I have no problem with dogs doing what they are bred for. In fact, I think it's good for working dogs to have a job but a dog performing their job and having the dog live as a member of the family are not mutually exclusive (except for livestock guardians).

I don't know why you think collies are happy to live outside. The ones I've known have liked living inside. I've trained dogs to herd and even the working border collies lived inside or were in a kennel at night. You have romanticized dogs and their jobs. You're description sounds like something in a novel. Reality is not quite so pretty.
I think we misunderstand each other. I'm not saying they "should" or need to live outside. I'm saying that isn't as cruel and abusive as some people claim. Plenty of farm dogs sleep in the barn or garage or whatever.

Some of the Animal Rights movements have gotten way out of hand. Like, you can't leave a dog outside unattended in weather under 32 degrees (New Jersey law that was proposed, don't know if it passed.) Plenty of breeds love sitting outside in that. My brother has two dogs that when its cold and snowy, all they want to do is sit outside. Anyone with a husky, Pyr, Samoyed, plenty of others knows they live for that weather.

I've seen a statewide tether law proposed that would make every person that runs their dogs in AKC, UKC, NAVHDA, etc...a criminal since they tie their dogs on short chains all day at training days and events.

Look, I hate someone that ties their dog out 24/7 and ignores it as much as anyone. But I'm not going to support a law that says my dog can't be tethered on my front porch for 31 minutes or on a 10 foot cord in the morning while I get ready for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A neighbor's rottweiler was attacked by coyotes. A different neighbor had two newfoundland dogs killed by coyotes, so I don't know how big a dog has to be to be coyote proof.
I think the size of the dog isn't really important. Its what the dog was bred to do.

As you said, if they work in pairs, if they were bred for predator control...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I had a pack (five) of Scottish Deerhounds and the coyotes were terrified of them, but that didn't keep the coyotes off my property. I would see them gather at the fence and when they were all together, they would run as fast as they could run across the fields.
That had to have been a sight to see! A pack of sight hounds like that...I'd love to see sighthounds hunt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If a coyote can't read my dogs message to stay away, that's gonna be a dead yote.
I believe it is even tested for before they allow them to breed...Härtenachweis is the term in the VGP no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs