Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 05:46 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times

Advertisements

So here we are ....coming up quickly on the day we head out to drive from south of Houston to Northern Michigan with 4 large dogs and a neurologically challenged husband. I have sedation for everyone (except me) if it comes down to that but I hate drugging dogs. My husband is unable to drive anymore so I'm the only drive for this whole adventurer . I've set realistic driving goals for each day to include stops to let everyone stretch and potty. Additional concerns are one dog that is critically shy and subject to bolting when frightened. Another that has a confirmed a bite history so she needs to be kept away from strangers. She will be double leashed and kenneled Our largest dog weighs over 96 lbs so by just force he can get into trouble and finally, its just me coordinating this whole move. I've done every bit of planning one person can do but will be so relieved when we get to the new house with everyone accounted for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 06:17 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
It sounds like you are doing a great job covering all the various scenarios.

I would put the fearful dog on a flat 2-3" martingale collar. I like them for fearful dogs because the dog can't back out of the collar (assuming it is correctly fitted). I would also double leash her; the last thing you need is a frightened dog getting loose.

Careful planning and management should help things go smoothly, e.g. parking away from crowded areas, walking dogs singly or in pairs, being ready and proactive to intercept any potential situations before they occur.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:45 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
I'd even consider a harness for the fearful dog. Much harder to back out of a properly fitted harness than a collar. If you don't want to get a harness, I absolutely would get a martingale. Personally I would get them for all your dogs. There is no telling if one of them would get spooked and you don't want them backing out of a collar.

If you're dogs aren't microchipped I'd get them chipped before you go. I'd also make sure they have tags with your cell number on them.

If they're is room and one has a sensitive stomach, I'd consider bringing tap water from home or distilled water. Mine never had an issue with water changes when I traveled but I know there are dogs that do.

Have they all 4 traveled in the car together before? If not, I'd take them for short trips around town so they are used to being together in the car.

Good luck and please check back in when you arrive.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:15 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
You'll be fine.
The dogs will be fine.
Hubby will be fine.

Enjoy the trip.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:59 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Agreeing with Rowan on a harness if possible for the fearful dog. If possible, I would potty her separately on your stops just so you have more control of the situation. Perhaps use a little Rescue Remedy for the trip. I hate drugging dogs as well but if it keeps everyone safe on the trip I wouldn't hesitate to do so. When I relocated decades ago with my two dogs and my car packed to the roof I did get some sedatives from my vet. Literally just 2 pills, 1 for each dog. I ended up splitting the pill and giving each dog 1/2 and I don't regret doing so. It made the trip manageable and the dogs were not zonked out, they just weren't anxious. The dogs will pick up on your energy so treat yourself well.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:20 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
You will do great, you've planned this well and it will be fine.

One suggestion: Chocolate covered espresso beans. It's a long drive and drinking coffee all the time gets old but 3 or 4 espresso beans will give you a little pick me up.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:29 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
So here we are ....coming up quickly on the day we head out to drive from south of Houston
to Northern Michigan with 4 large dogs and a neurologically challenged husband.

I have sedation for everyone (except me) if it comes down to that but I hate drugging dogs.
My husband is unable to drive anymore so I'm the only drive for this whole adventurer.

I've done every bit of planning one person can do
but will be so relieved when we get to the new house with everyone accounted for!
I'd suggest that you find some other means (or time) to get husband up to MI...
and that you find someone else to join & help you for the drive up with the dogs.
Hire these people if need be.

1450miles @60mph = 24 hours rolling
Allow 12 hours shared driving over two days with a solid 12 hours for layover & rest stop between.
Sleep, eat, refuel, exercise time. Leave 8am Monday and arrive 8-9pm on Tuesday.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:44 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd suggest that you find some other means (or time) to get husband up to MI...
and that you find someone else to join & help you for the drive up with the dogs.
Hire these people if need be.

1450miles @60mph = 24 hours rolling
Allow 12 hours shared driving over two days with a solid 12 hours for layover & rest stop between.
Sleep, eat, refuel, exercise time. Leave 8am Monday and arrive 8-9pm on Tuesday.
I kinda have to agree with mrrational on this. That's a lot of solo driving. I can't think of anything to make it easier, other than suggesting you call it a day after 10 or most 12 hours, and find someplace comfortable to spend the night. Just not an easy task.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:11 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
You will do great, you've planned this well and it will be fine.

One suggestion: Chocolate covered espresso beans. It's a long drive and drinking coffee all the time gets old but 3 or 4 espresso beans will give you a little pick me up.

Plus, they are DELICIOOUS!!

Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
So here we are ....coming up quickly on the day we head out to drive from south of Houston to Northern Michigan with 4 large dogs and a neurologically challenged husband. I have sedation for everyone (except me) if it comes down to that but I hate drugging dogs. My husband is unable to drive anymore so I'm the only drive for this whole adventurer . I've set realistic driving goals for each day to include stops to let everyone stretch and potty. Additional concerns are one dog that is critically shy and subject to bolting when frightened. Another that has a confirmed a bite history so she needs to be kept away from strangers. She will be double leashed and kenneled Our largest dog weighs over 96 lbs so by just force he can get into trouble and finally, its just me coordinating this whole move. I've done every bit of planning one person can do but will be so relieved when we get to the new house with everyone accounted for!
Define "neurologically challenged". Otherwise, I would crate the dogs and schedule exercise breaks for them.

I did a solo transport from southern TN to MA with three rescue dogs in my Civic hatchback. One of them was very shy, fearful and could chew through a nylon lead. And I was told by the shelter... "if he gets loose, you will never catch him." I timed the dog exercise breaks to when I needed a gas fill up. And I didn't open the car door until all dogs were under control. Needless to say, all four of us arrived safely in MA.

I've also done a solo trip with two lab mixes, a mini rat terrier, and a small terrier with five puppies, from NC to MA. It just takes being organized and careful, using lots of common sense. Again, never open a car door until every dog is accounted for!

For overnight stays, I used Red Roof Inn and got a first floor room. Or we all slept together in my car.

Perhaps some Benedryl is in order for all of your passengers (including the hubby). Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs