U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:42 PM

430 posts, read 179,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Basically because you are trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

Even if you can make it work in one locale, if you have to move you and the dog could end up with few options.

It's a situation you haven't been able to figure out so far, so you know it's problematic. So why try it?
You know I was gonna try to explain this, I can tell it's useless and I don't have the energy for this ****.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:11 PM

6,998 posts, read 10,233,864 times
I don't know about Las Vegas, but I know that many people in Austin and San Antonio have had trouble with finding places that have no breed restrictions. These difficulties are self-inflicted. The common advice is to use an apartment locator. I found them to be awful. I wouldn't have found my current apartment or my last one if I depended on apartment locators, and I've been through many of them. My best tool was Google, but I also found some places through two free moving websites.

It took me less than a half a minute to find this webpage.

http://www.incredabull.org/resources/housing/

Old 10-22-2017, 12:41 AM

919 posts, read 324,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
You know I was gonna try to explain this, I can tell it's useless and I don't have the energy for this ****.
So why didn't you explain in the first place?
People aren't mind readers.

Your reaction to the replies shows that you're a bit self-absorbed.
Please don't get a dog. Judging by your frustration, it'd only end up in a rescue when he/she becomes an inconvenience.

Old 10-22-2017, 02:53 AM

12,385 posts, read 31,331,354 times
Service Dogs ..... You need to be the one that's Disabled & the dog Must be TRAINED to assit You.

You say you don't like small dogs MOST Places Don't allow big dogs [over 40# or Over 12" tall] So you really should consider a Stuffed Dog! Cause IF you break the rule You can be EVICTED! Once Evicted You going to have the bigger problem of being Homeless since most LL wont rent to anyone that's been evicted... It don't matter whose at fault.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:02 AM

1,565 posts, read 799,104 times
Quote:
. . . if there's a way to bypass (legally) breed rules. . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
There are only two legal ways: ESA (if you legally qualify) or a mix breed, and if the rules do not state anything about mixes.
K_Chris; I, for one, read your post and did not assume you meant something other than what you said. The problem is, there really isn't a better answer than the one jencam has given you.

You have to be talking about a pit or a pit type - as you pointed out - the rescues are full of them. And the breed rules usually list them first. They can be superior pets, as they have a number of qualities that suit them for living with people. I won't get into discussing the cons of the type - you've heard it before, I'm sure (and I might tread on forbidden ground, topic verbotten in this forum! ).

The only things I can suggest are:
* If you are apartment hunting remotely, contact a realtor (or realtors) who lists rentals. They should know which of the units they list have restrictions and which don't - and they may know of smaller complexes of a few units that might have more favorable terms for you.
* Don't get a dog until after you have moved. Find an apartment on a month-to-month basis, not an annual lease, and then look for something more to your liking that will allow the dog. Vegas has changed a lot since I lived there, but back then, Henderson used to be more "blue-collar", and because of that, it was often more affordable. I have to wonder if it is still that way, and if, as a result, you might find something there without the breed rules as well.
* Consider renting a house. That may be out of your housing budget range, but if you can do it, that might give you the flexibility to have a medium-large dog.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:46 AM

6,778 posts, read 2,755,908 times
Quote:
Just so you know: If I can afford it, I'll buy a house in a heartbeat but I don't make mortgage money AND don't really need a house at this stage in my life anyway, so I am working with what I have.

Now that that is addressed, I am basically planning on moving to Las Vegas and planning on adopting a dog when I do move, as I'll be able to afford the space. I don't even own a dog yet, but I'm already annoyed just LOOKING and seeing "breed rules/no aggressive breeds/no dangerous breeds" all over the place and, when I investigate, it's on the main property site as well. My issue is I know myself and what I sway towards, the breeds I generally take a liking to and prefer. They're generally the first ones you see on the list and I highly favor them, and have sense I was a child.

With this, I wanted to know if there's a way to bypass (legally) breed rules. Besides training/fixing, as that seems to be an obvious necessity, and trying to get a therapists note to pass the pet as a support animal. Which has been suggested and is, based on how I am, a realistic option I would rather not take up as I don't truly need a support animal.

I am still currently looking at places without a breed rule or those that require an interview for allowing the pet in the meantime. There's just a ridiculous amount of nice looking places that don't allow the breeds I generally swing towards and I am really having a hard time finding ones that do, but don't cost luxury prices I can't afford.
OP, I understand what you were trying to say, so getting back to your original question about the "rules". We may know that a responsibly socialized pet shouldn't be prohibited and that breed specific rules don't really make much sense, but the rules were made by people who can't or won't discriminate between good dogs/owners and bad ones. They can't be bothered or their insurance company can't be bothered. The city or county can't be bothered. They don't want to be dog experts. There are small breeds that sit pretty high on the bite scale, but because they are small they tend to do less damage. Many of them are poorly trained and a nuisance. The rules don't seem to care. You are not going to be getting an exception to such rules; very possibly for a SERVICE animal, but not for emotional support dogs most likely and not for companion animals. Just the way it is, right or wrong. If you try to cheat the rule you are doing your dog, other dog owners, and yourself a big disservice.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:43 AM

430 posts, read 179,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
K_Chris; I, for one, read your post and did not assume you meant something other than what you said. The problem is, there really isn't a better answer than the one jencam has given you.

You have to be talking about a pit or a pit type - as you pointed out - the rescues are full of them. And the breed rules usually list them first. They can be superior pets, as they have a number of qualities that suit them for living with people. I won't get into discussing the cons of the type - you've heard it before, I'm sure (and I might tread on forbidden ground, topic verbotten in this forum! ).

The only things I can suggest are:
* If you are apartment hunting remotely, contact a realtor (or realtors) who lists rentals. They should know which of the units they list have restrictions and which don't - and they may know of smaller complexes of a few units that might have more favorable terms for you.
* Don't get a dog until after you have moved. Find an apartment on a month-to-month basis, not an annual lease, and then look for something more to your liking that will allow the dog. Vegas has changed a lot since I lived there, but back then, Henderson used to be more "blue-collar", and because of that, it was often more affordable. I have to wonder if it is still that way, and if, as a result, you might find something there without the breed rules as well.
* Consider renting a house. That may be out of your housing budget range, but if you can do it, that might give you the flexibility to have a medium-large dog.
Thanks for the advice, I'll see about calling realtors and I didn't know about renting a house, so I'll look and see if the place has affordable houses. Yes I do mean pit types, I understand they can make wonderful dogs when trained properly. I'm aware of the cons, like all dogs, and only plan on adopting after I move as my current complex doesn't allow any dog over 15lbs anyway. It's either one dog or 1-2 cat(s).

Though I'm still gonna look around cause I have until May (I thought it was June) to figure out where to go and I feel that's more than enough time. Since I'm not about to get an ESA animal, as I stated that I don't need one, I'm just gonna have to either find a house or find a very nice realtor.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:31 AM

1,565 posts, read 799,104 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I'll see about calling realtors and I didn't know about renting a house, so I'll look and see if the place has affordable houses. Yes I do mean pit types, I understand they can make wonderful dogs when trained properly. I'm aware of the cons, like all dogs, and only plan on adopting after I move as my current complex doesn't allow any dog over 15lbs anyway. It's either one dog or 1-2 cat(s).

Though I'm still gonna look around cause I have until May (I thought it was June) to figure out where to go and I feel that's more than enough time. Since I'm not about to get an ESA animal, as I stated that I don't need one, I'm just gonna have to either find a house or find a very nice realtor.
There ya go! Sounds like a sensible approach - no hurries, no worries. I had cats for many years when I was in my early career years. Rather than dogs, I mean. Dogs required more time and trouble, and I was renting. I was a little choosy about which cats I got. I looked for cats that were calm, social, and healthy at the pound, and I had a couple that were good buddies for me, for many years. Now I look for cats that are more energetic, as they are indoor/outdoor kitties, and I have characters more than buddies!

Old 10-22-2017, 10:51 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,277,788 times
Vegas has complexes that accepts all breeds but you will pay more to have them.

Good luck renting a house here with any dog deemed a dangerous breed or any pets for that matter. If an owner does allow it you will be putting down some hefty deposits.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:00 AM

31,241 posts, read 19,729,636 times
I'm sorry, I stay with my cautionary message.

You are randomly moving places without visiting, so you don't know if you are going to like it, or find work, or whatever. You were moving to CA, but didn't realize San Fran had a high cost of living, now you are looking at Las Vegas. You consider it a waste of money to visit before you up and move, which is fine, but leaves bunches of room for you to be unhappy when you get there.

You already have a cat, and now you want to add a larger breed from the aggressive category.

I stand by the recommendation that you become more stable in location before making your desirability as a renter worse.

But otherwise, I wish you well.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs