U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:50 AM

13,843 posts, read 25,246,623 times

Advertisements

I live in Las Vegas and own a home here. My insurance company discriminates against several breeds including pits and dobies. Well, I wanted a dobie so I got a mix from the shelter. He was on the euth list because he had chemical burns. He is now a happy, healthy 2yo. I also have a weim and a gsp. He looks like a dobie and for all I know he is purebred but I am in the clear for insurance because the shelter says he is mixed breed. He has a natural tail and ears so to most people he looks more like a mix.

Renting a house is probably a good idea. Wait till you get here and get adjusted before you worry about a dog. In the summer they are some work. You can't leave them outside because it's just too hot and you have to walk them in the middle of the night to avoid burning their feet. It's also too hot to really take them with you in the car too. Now the rest of the year, it's fine. We also have no fleas or mosquitoes in the valley.

Most of the dogs at the shelter are pits and chi's. These are available every day and we have way too many of them. They are easy to get. At one time or another, they get everything. I have even seen Cane Corso's, Mastiffs, Bull Terriers, and Dogos. There are also other shelters and rescue organizations here as well.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:01 PM

430 posts, read 180,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm sorry, I stay with my cautionary message.

You are randomly moving places without visiting, so you don't know if you are going to like it, or find work, or whatever. You were moving to CA, but didn't realize San Fran had a high cost of living, now you are looking at Las Vegas. You consider it a waste of money to visit before you up and move, which is fine, but leaves bunches of room for you to be unhappy when you get there.

You already have a cat, and now you want to add a larger breed from the aggressive category.

I stand by the recommendation that you become more stable in location before making your desirability as a renter worse.

But otherwise, I wish you well.
Look if you have a personal vendetta against me owning a large breed, just say it instead of putting words and situations I never once said in my mouth.

That and obviously going through what I previously posted elsewhere, basically stalking my information, is creepy.

You seem to be much older than me, as I am 20, so I would expect better behavior from a "grown adult".

Old 10-22-2017, 12:06 PM

31,391 posts, read 19,800,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Look if you have a personal vendetta against me owning a large breed, just say it instead of putting words and situations I never once said in my mouth.

That and obviously going through what I previously posted elsewhere, basically stalking my information, is creepy.

You seem to be much older than me, as I am 20, so I would expect better behavior from a "grown adult".

I'm not "stalking" you. I look at a poster's info before answering, because is pertains to the situation.

While not a personal vendetta, I am against irresponsible pet ownership. I have a large breed, and would not have chosen him if I didn't own. Heck, I didn't even pick him until I was sure I would not return to SF, and sold my condo there.

I'm sorry, what words and situations did I put in your mouth?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-22-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I live in Las Vegas and own a home here. My insurance company discriminates against several breeds including pits and dobies. Well, I wanted a dobie so I got a mix from the shelter. He was on the euth list because he had chemical burns. He is now a happy, healthy 2yo. I also have a weim and a gsp. He looks like a dobie and for all I know he is purebred but I am in the clear for insurance because the shelter says he is mixed breed. He has a natural tail and ears so to most people he looks more like a mix.

Renting a house is probably a good idea. Wait till you get here and get adjusted before you worry about a dog. In the summer they are some work. You can't leave them outside because it's just too hot and you have to walk them in the middle of the night to avoid burning their feet. It's also too hot to really take them with you in the car too. Now the rest of the year, it's fine. We also have no fleas or mosquitoes in the valley.

Most of the dogs at the shelter are pits and chi's. These are available every day and we have way too many of them. They are easy to get. At one time or another, they get everything. I have even seen Cane Corso's, Mastiffs, Bull Terriers, and Dogos. There are also other shelters and rescue organizations here as well.
Oh definitely, I'm waiting until I move. Like I said, Vegas is my destination when I move regardless, due to CoL. I suppose I could find an affordable house to rent, given the cost of the rest, and I feel it'll be fair to give me and my current pet time to adjust to the state and all. I'm visiting in March, after the holidays cause I work at the airport and that holiday pay is gonna leave me with an obese check! I could definitely afford to visit Vegas and take a look see around the places I plan on moving to. I have a car as well, so that's a plus.

Also time to get him started on some flea and tick preventative, since I plan on getting a pet that'll require walks and I know prevention is hundreds, if not thousands, cheaper than treatment. Not playing that lotto.

Never seen a Cane Corso in real life, unfortunately, and I want to. They seem to be cool dogs. I wouldn't own one, as I read it's best for experienced dog owners, but I would love to pet one!

Old 10-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not "stalking" you. I look at a poster's info before answering, because is pertains to the situation.

While not a personal vendetta, I am against irresponsible pet ownership. I have a large breed, and would not have chosen him if I didn't own. Heck, I didn't even pick him until I was sure I would not return to SF, and sold my condo there.

I'm sorry, what words and situations did I put in your mouth?
You are randomly moving places without visiting, so you don't know if you are going to like it, or find work, or whatever. You were moving to CA, but didn't realize San Fran had a high cost of living, now you are looking at Las Vegas. You consider it a waste of money to visit before you up and move, which is fine, but leaves bunches of room for you to be unhappy when you get there.

Quite a few with the big bulk I quoted. You were only right with one thing, and I didn't visit. Yet.

I am moving AFTER I visit, which will be in March due to holiday pay and the fact that it's near impossible to get holidays off. That and you make a huge amount of money working holidays out here. I am also visiting to see if I'd actually like it, as I like what I see online but they can obviously vary. I am partially considering Arizona, but so far I'm busy looking as of now.

I never said I was actively moving to California, only considering it since it was my ideal state but even I knew, without having to look, that the CoL is ridiculously inflated and I was asking people who live there already if there were affordable places. I didn't know just how bad San Francisco was until looking, which sucks as the SFO airport pays a nice amount. Same with the San Diego airport but, again, rents too damn high and the airport doesn't pay nearly enough.

I considered it a waste to visit places I know I can't afford to live at, which makes sense. Why waste money going somewhere I can't live at if the point is to look around and see if I could envision myself here? I also consider it a waste buying a house, knowing I'm one person and very young, but if home rentals is a possibility than why not?

Speaking of work, I work at the airport and it is ridiculously easy for me to transfer since I'm not an MSP employee, but an employee of a contracted company that works in airports around the US. Not as big as Southwest, for sure, but enough so I have options. Vegas is my next option as we happy to fly to the LAS airport and, therefor, I have a work option. I wish we flew to more places, so I have tons more options, but I work with what I have.

So besides the fact that I hadn't visited yet, you were pretty off on everything else.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:34 PM

I'm not going to go back and forth (and I could bring over quotes from your other threads).

As long as you make a responsible pet decision, that's all.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to go back and forth (and I could bring over quotes from your other threads).

As long as you make a responsible pet decision, that's all.
Which makes no sense, cause we're talking about dogs here, but I'm happy with that.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Which makes no sense, cause we're talking about dogs here, but I'm happy with that.
My point being, you are young, you are changing your mind on what you want to do and where you want to do it (which is what youth is for ), so this would not be the best time for getting a dog that is not allowed in a lot of places.

Does your rental insurance have restrictions?

Old 10-22-2017, 12:58 PM

1,925 posts, read 341,947 times
Best of luck, K_Chris! I hope when the time is right, you are able to adopt the dog you want. It sounds to me, from what you've said here, that you have every intention of being a responsible dog owner.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Best of luck, K_Chris! I hope when the time is right, you are able to adopt the dog you want. It sounds to me, from what you've said here, that you have every intention of being a responsible dog owner.
Thanks! I'm waiting until I get adjusted to be fair to me and the cat, so it won't be for a while anyway but I was just looking around for now since I know what I like.

Already been looking at costs of things and my friend has a huge puller, so I think I can ask her for some advise on leashes she uses if I end up with one. We both hate choke and shock collars, so I know I can find some good pointers from her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs