Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:26 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

On another forum, I read this:

Dog urine marking is not a bathroom training issue but rather an issue concerning a whole range of instinctive behaviors. Your dog may be fully housetrained and would not dream of peeing in the house but to a dog lifting his leg to scent mark is not the same as wanting to have a pee.

Of course, from a human point of view, there's still pee to clean up and an unpleasant smell to get rid of. But if they are truly different things, and urine marking is not a bathroom training issue, how do you deal with it?

Or, do you disagree with the statement entirely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 07:16 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Extremely complicated answer.

Quote:
In the majority of these cases, though, the marking exists because, due to a lack of training and other human displays that communicate leadership, owners have deliberately or unwittingly thrust this protective role upon their pets. Unfortunately, owners who don't understand what the animal communicates via the display - i.e., its fear and willingness to fight to protect this sacred space - often view the pet as spiteful, mean, or stupid for ruining their belongings. While attributing such negative emotions to perfectly logical canine behaviors always ranks as a tragedy, it's particularly sad in the case of very young, timid, or geriatric animals who believe they must protect their owners from the meter reader, school bus, and letter carrier day after day and endure the owner's wrath, too. (The dog does not understand it, and the owner's anger adds to the dog's confusion.)

On the other hand, once caring owners understand what causes the behavior, they can relieve their pets of the territorial stresses that cause the problem.
More here:

Marking: Understanding It, Stopping It

Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Toby is a 6 lb Maltese we got when he was 4. He is now 8.
Teddy is a 2 year old Maltipoo we've only had one year. They are both walked together every morning by my DH.

For the first 4 years, Toby would only mark on that first walkies. DH would have to bring Teddy back and then walk Toby alone to get a good pee. Neither dog has ever marked in the house!

We moved to a brand new neighborhood about 4 months ago. We are the only people (so far) who have dogs we walk consistently so there are no other dog scents to distract Toby. He has stopped marking and gets right to business on every walkie. I find it interesting that he is not distracted by the huge trucks, construction noises and lots of workers. I'm sure he will start marking again if others start to walk dogs.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:19 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
I have read that the earlier a male dog is neutered, the less likely he feels to mark everything. Since Friederik was a rescue, we have no idea when he was even born, much less neutered. Estimates of his age are all over the place -- from 2 to 5 years old. I wonder if late neutering is playing a part in this problem. We had a male Golden Retriever for years and he never once marked inside. And when Friederik is just "marking," there is a lot less volume than when he actually pees. And he hasn't peed inside for a long time. Still marking, though.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have read that the earlier a male dog is neutered, the less likely he feels to mark everything. Since Friederik was a rescue, we have no idea when he was even born, much less neutered. Estimates of his age are all over the place -- from 2 to 5 years old. I wonder if late neutering is playing a part in this problem. We had a male Golden Retriever for years and he never once marked inside. And when Friederik is just "marking," there is a lot less volume than when he actually pees. And he hasn't peed inside for a long time. Still marking, though.
According to that article I linked to, IF he is marking, it helps you figure out why. It's not hard to understand why he is insecure.

I'm not positive you know whether he is marking or not fully house-trained yet at this point. I feel you need a dog behaviorist. It's so much easier for a person who is trained and experienced to figure these things out. And then teach you what to do.......

Old 10-27-2017, 07:08 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Marking is similar to house training. You have to pay attention to the dog and stop him when he starts looking like he is going to mark. If you are lucky enough to catch him the first couple of times, you can stop it pretty quick

If the dog already has the habit, it will take more time and a lot of vigilance.

I am slightly harsher about the marking. "Oi" or "hey! What do you think you are doing?" In a voice of displeasure. The dog does not have to mark like he might have to pee desperately, so I am lacking sympathy. Just like house training shuttle him outside.

The trick is to pay enough attention so the dog never gets away with it.

If you don't have a dog door and if the marking is bad, put a belly band on the dog when you cant watch him. Most of them dislike walking around with a wet belly band, so they don't like to pee when they are wearing it.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
There might be some truth to that. Although, my family adopted a Golden Retriever at 6 years old, and neutered him a month or two later. He was never much of a marker before and didn't do it much afterwards.

My neighbor had a rescue that was neutered when she got him, but no idea when he was neutered, that marked anything he could.

My dog is intact. At 6 months old, he started marking. We did have to come down like the wrath of God on him a few times when he did it in inappropriate places. Now he only does it outdoors. He doesn't pee as much (or at all) when he marks but that's usually because after he pees or marks the first bush, there isn't tons left.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:57 PM

919 posts, read 609,339 times
My intact 12mo Rotti has pica (eats rocks dirt, bark, gravel, sticks, grass & will chew on metal, plastic & chunks of glass [that he found under the fridge]) To keep him safe, I'm forced to take him out for toilet on a lead in the backyard.

He has several marking spots, most on the perimeter of the yard, which is basically marking his territory.
Although other dogs don't frequent our yard, he still sniffs his 'spots' with interest.

Even first thing in the morning, 8-9 hours after his last pee (when he really must be busting) he still holds enough to spread between his spots.
I've trained him since 8wo to 'p*ss' on command. If it's raining & I want him to hurry, he'll obey when I give him the command but never enough to empty his bladder. He just has to spread it around.

On walks I allow him to quickly sniff & mark 2 or 3 communal marking spots (depending on our route).
It's fairly clear when an unfamiliar dog has 'left a message' (because he shows more interest than usual) & it's easy to tell whether it was a dog or ***** (Dogs will mark the trunk of a tree for e.g., whereas a ***** pees on the ground at the base)

Marking & peeing are two different things but many/most dogs will not waste the need to urinate to not mark & leave a 'message' (If that makes sense)

My observations are based on intact dogs, so I'm not sure how different it is with castrated boys.

EDIT - apparently the word 'b^tch' is prohibited here (Wth?) ***** = b^tch.

Last edited by Legion777; 10-30-2017 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: We can't say 'b^tch' here? Really?

Old 10-30-2017, 03:11 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
On walks I allow him to quickly sniff & mark 2 or 3 communal marking spots (depending on our route).
It's fairly clear when an unfamiliar dog has 'left a message' (because he shows more interest than usual) & it's easy to tell whether it was a dog or ***** (Dogs will mark the trunk of a tree for e.g., whereas a ***** pees on the ground at the base)
Not always true. By the third spot my dog doesn't have enough back pressure to do more than a dribble.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 PM

919 posts, read 609,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Not always true. By the third spot my dog doesn't have enough back pressure to do more than a dribble.
Ah, ok, hadn't considered that.
It does lead me to ask though, is your boy an older dog? Is he intact?

Your comment made me laugh actually, as it reminds me of how my boys sometimes get their junk right up next to the tree to ensure they hit it, (like schoolboys at a urinal seeing who can hit the highest) so they're not mistaken for a b^tch? Lol. (Just joking. Off-course they can tell the difference)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs