U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 07:22 AM

17,393 posts, read 21,234,308 times

Advertisements

I'm currently reading The Savage God, a Study of Suicide by A. Alvarez, in from a passage in the book:

"Glanville Williams quotes a learned source to show that dogs can sometimes commit suicide, usually by drowning, or by refusing food, for a number of reasons - generally when the animal is cast out from the household, but also from regret or remorse or even from sheer boredom. Animal suicide of these kinds is capable of being regarded as manifestations of intelligence."

A couple years ago, on my way to catch the bus, there was this medium sized dog, running for his life, down the sidewalk, and I caught his master fast walking after him saying: When I catch that b*stard, I'll teach him a lesson he'll never forget, and he'll never leave my apartment again. Just looking at this man was enough to scare me! And he seemed like he had been drinking as well.

My thoughts went immediately to that dog: Run! Run! Run! And never look back! And if you choose suicide.......

I've encountered, over my 67 years, some owners who have no right to own a dog, like a co-worker who only keeps a dog outside in the backyard, year round, for security purposes only. If I were that dog.......

How about you? Ever known or suspected of a dog that committed suicide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 07:41 AM

4,508 posts, read 2,122,199 times
I've never had one off itself, but they sure do grieve when they lose a loved one. My female greyhound cried herself silly when my male greyhound died. I can easily see one refusing to eat until starvation if it's grieving.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:24 AM

1,403 posts, read 849,964 times
No, I've never encountered this. The closest to it I can say is a rabbit I had; when his bonded mate was euthanized (malignant, aggressive tumour that returned a month after surgery) he seemed to go downhill very rapidly. Within two weeks, he was gone.

There's no question in my mind that many animals grieve deeply, and may simply give up on life because of loss, or because of circumstances in which they no longer have any real 'life'. Purposefully committing suicide by drowning or any other process...I've not heard of any cases of this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did sometimes happen.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:30 AM

4,037 posts, read 2,609,521 times
I've never heard of a dog intentionally killing itself. Personally I think the drowning part is very unlikely. Dogs do grieve and so I guess it's possible that they wouldn't eat if their grief was severe.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I've never had one off itself, but they sure do grieve when they lose a loved one. My female greyhound cried herself silly when my male greyhound died. I can easily see one refusing to eat until starvation if it's grieving.
After the last of my 5 ferrets passed on, I decided next time I'd just buy one, as if I had bought a mate (as the pet store urges you to do with ferrets) and the mate died, it would break my heart more to see that lone ferret all alone without his mate. I've since learned that a lone ferret can adjust very well without a mate. He has me and my roommate is a 2nd father to him.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:47 AM

4,037 posts, read 2,609,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
After the last of my 5 ferrets passed on, I decided next time I'd just buy one, as if I had bought a mate (as the pet store urges you to do with ferrets) and the mate died, it would break my heart more to see that lone ferret all alone without his mate. I've since learned that a lone ferret can adjust very well without a mate. He has me and my roommate is a 2nd father to him.
It's always been my experience that animals are happier with an animal companion. They may do fine alone but IMO they're happier with a companion. To the extent possible, I will always have 2.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
It's always been my experience that animals are happier with an animal companion. They may do fine alone but IMO they're happier with a companion. To the extent possible, I will always have 2.
When I got down to the 1 out of 5 ferrets I had, the oldest being 5-6 years old, I felt crushed he was left alone, and it's so difficult to find a ferret of his age, I made the big mistake of buying a 10 month old from the pet store. I then felt sorry for both of them, as the younger one only want to play-play-play and the older one wanted to sleep-sleep-sleep, and would get very angry and almost violent with the younger one.

But perhaps it's different with other animals.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:18 PM

10,171 posts, read 7,077,685 times
We had a dog die of drowning when she was very old. She had no known health problems but we could tell she was winding down. She knew how to swim and get out of the pool at the steps (although it had been quite a while since she had been in). Our neighbor thought she did it on purpose. But of course she could have become disoriented, sick/died and fell in, ran out of energy. Who knows?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:40 PM

1,072 posts, read 807,351 times
My rescued Rottweiler and rescued Lab/ Sharpei were house mates for around ten years. They moved across the U.S with another dog, a cat and three horses when I retired.

They never "talked" much, never curled up next to each other so imagine my surprise when the Lab/Sharpei stopped eating when I had to put the Rottweiler to sleep with cancer. It was as gut wrenching to watch Luke's hurt/anguish/refusal to eat, as it was to have to put my Beau-B-Beau to sleep.

At day three of no eating or drinking I realized an intervention was needed. I brought home ground chuck and started Luke on it, eventually mixing in canned dog food, eventually putting him back on dry food.

Even though our backyard is fenced, I still hand walked Luke to get hi to "go potty potty" which was the rest stop command as we moved cross-country. Somehow that seemed to take him back to a happier time.

It took about Luke about two weeks to start healing but it was months before he was the same old "Lukie-pup" again.

Then some years later, I had to lay my two elder horses to rest, 18 months apart. One of my other horses had been with those two seniors 17 of his 19 years. Watching him grieve was another level of gut-wrenching. it took him a year to start acting normal and he wasn't alone in the pasture.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:02 PM

3,415 posts, read 3,182,390 times
I had a dog that ran head on into an iron pole, chasing a squirrel. I was watching him in horror thinking, at the last minute he is going to swerve out of the way but he did not. Hit the pole head first. He was essentially brain dead but still alive. I rushed him to the vet and had him put down. But to anyone who didn't see the squirrel he was chasing, it sure looked like suicide. An awful memory 15 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or