Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:10 PM

506 posts, read 651,439 times

Advertisements

We had two bichons but six months ago the male died. His "wife" Amy and he had five puppies that we sold quickly. They grew to middle age together. I don't recall them doing much together except for chasing cars which I avoided as much as I could. Scared me to death.
Six months ago when the male died it broke my heart to see Amy out in the yard looking around for Donnie. It still hurts me thinking of it. My question is, is it mean to let Amy grow old on her own? Could she be happy alone like this? I have Donnie's ashes and , what I really love, locks of his hair in tiny baggies that came with his ashes. Sometimes I take the hair out and let Amy smell it. I so miss him and so does my husband. But I don't really want a second dog. That is, I have arthritis and , as sick as my husband is now, I cannot stand the thought of having other dogs put to sleep. It took a toll on both of us. I'm not sure if they're worth it since you fall in love with them and then they die.
Is it mean to let Amy grow old without a partner? She is about fourteen now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:22 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Not sure 'mean' applies.
When a pet is grieving ...As the owner,you are their support. I can't think of anything 'mean' in that gesture. I am sincerely sorry for this family pet loss.
Think of it in a different light...when our spouses pass...We don't normally run out to get a substitute....We grieve,we adjust ...And sometimes find new ways of living out our years. You sound caring..And your concern for Amy is commendable.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:36 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
It's not mean. Generally it's been my experience that dogs and cats do better with a companion. HOWEVER, at 14 adding a new companion may be too stressful for her. I'd give her some time and see how she does. If for some reason you change your mind and decide to get another dog, I would get a male that is a senior or very laid back. I absolutely would not get a puppy.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:47 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,999,429 times
For most dogs, no, it is not mean. As a matter of fact, most dogs adapt quite well to being the "only dog". Amy undoubtedly remembers Donnie, and just as likely doesn't understand that he is gone, not the way you understand it. Older dogs do have memories, but they are still creatures of today. I don't think it is mean at all. I think Amy will probably be fine. And I understand your reluctance to get another dog - their time on earth is short - and we go into a relationship with them knowing that. You are not the first person to lose a dog and not want to go through that process again. I think it gets harder as we get older ourselves, and caring for another creature is more effort than it used to be.

At 14 Amy is already old herself. Quite old, actually - you could say "well past retirement age". Take care of her, and maybe take her for some extra walks, or something she enjoys, for you and for her. Good luck, and take care!

Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
No. You sound very loving. As long as she is getting extra love from you, she will be OK. We had 2 pugs like this...now we do have a young collie as well, but she and my male pug were never close. He was close to our girl who passed this summer. He did adapt and I try to give him extra love. We also have a doggie daycare and he can go hang out with other small dogs once a week and I think that helps too.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
At 14, I think it would be "mean" to introduce a new dog...

Old 11-14-2017, 06:27 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
At 14, I think it would be "mean" to introduce a new dog...
I agree. She might think you were putting her out to pasture. When our Saintly Lab was dying we did not get a cat because we didn’t want to think he was being replace before his time.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 AM

48,527 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I think it is wise not to get a puppy or another dog. We got our puppy when our two dogs were older, and honestly, they were not appreciative, so it probably was not the wisest decision.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-17-2017, 07:14 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think it is wise not to get a puppy or another dog. We got our puppy when our two dogs were older, and honestly, they were not appreciative, so it probably was not the wisest decision.
How old were the dogs? If they were pure bred, what breed?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:32 AM

48,527 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
How old were the dogs? If they were pure bred, what breed?

One border collie and one mixed (rescue), they were around 11.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs