Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:28 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times

Advertisements

I read that you are going to go see the dog, and all. Something else that could be one driver in this equation is training - or better - lack of training. I've seen people be dishonest about motivation, or use an obvious motivation to hide another motivation they don't want you to know until it is too late. You are doing the right thing in the first place by asking "what's wrong with this picture?" It could be the dog is an unrepentant counter surfer, or an escape artist, or like somebody else suggested, the dog peed on something inside. Maybe the dog has working drives, which can make training and managing the dog more difficult.

I completely understand your caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
She posted, I gave my .02 you dont like it ? Too bad boohoo. . . .
Nah, dude, I think the problem is your post was judgemental, and made a lot of assumptions about what the OP had done, or not. Assumptions that weren't really justified. Which made your post sound kinda rude.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:03 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am not a huge rescue fan, I think they often morph into something that becomes less about the dogs and more about the people involved, but the beauty of doing something for free is that you get to say no when you don't want to do it. Like I said, send her your phone number so you can properly taken care of it or can be available next time someone she doesn't know from Adam calls.

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with not going this time unless she was collecting money to provide that specific service.

Your "send you number comments" are stupid. I don't rescue dogs, I don't pretend to rescue dogs. But if I were passionate about it I'd 100% do whatever I could to help an animal in need. If I couldn't accept the dog I'd refer them to another rescue, person, trainer, cheap/free medical care whatever, but I would be honest and I certainly would not ignore someone reaching out. She is going to see the dog and I'm sure she will help in any way she can.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:05 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Nah, dude, I think the problem is your post was judgemental, and made a lot of assumptions about what the OP had done, or not. Assumptions that weren't really justified. Which made your post sound kinda rude.

What assumptions? lol. She was ignoring their calls. Where is the assumption?

Rude maybe especially if you like everything sugar coated. Yeah I called her out on it, but I'm happy with her responses.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
What assumptions? lol. She was ignoring their calls. Where is the assumption?

Rude maybe especially if you like everything sugar coated. Yeah I called her out on it, but I'm happy with her responses.
That is a reasonable and rational response, so let me try and step through this. But FIRST, let me point out that using diplomacy is not the same thing as sugar-coating. A lot of times saying something diplomatically will get you a lot farther than being blunt and negative. When I went to college I had two courses that really impacted how I view this. They were about logic and reasoning. They taught me to closely read and/or listen, to find out what IS said, and what IS NOT said.

I'll start with your first post and questions. Which were all good questions, by the way, but read on.

Quote:
If you are someone that rescues dogs I'm not sure why you would pass based on you simply feeling iffy. Shouldn't you be asking a lot of questions? Going to see the dog? Asking for medical records etc.?
Next, here are OP (phonelady) posts from BEFORE yours:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
hi there I just had someone contact me about a dog that is currently in a home and they are wanting to re home this dog , she is utd on shots supposedly and spayed . But after talking to these people they seem just a lil too desperate to re home this dog , which makes me think that there is something really off about all of this . Have any of you run into something like this ? I told her yesterday I think I will pass and yet this morning another email from these people , Please please call me sort of message . I have not responded so I'm still weighing this all out .
Quote:
Katie you will be happy to know that I am going to see her on Monday and the people who have her are elderly and ill and they are on a time schedule because their daughter is forcing them to go into elder care and my heart breaks for them and the dog . my oh is irritated that I agreed to go see the poor thing and he is not really keen on taking it in so I'm fighting that battle too and I don't want to upset him either you know .
Now, you can see that at no point did OP indicate she had NOT asked questions already. AMOF, her responses make it somewhat clear she MUST have been asking questions already, given how much she knows about the situation.

And she has already stated that she is going to see the dog, which means that your later response:
Quote:
I read the entire thing before I posted. . . .
actually indicates that you were mistaken about reading the "entire thing", since you missed something so essential.

Quote:
. . . She made this thread not really knowing anything about the dog she based it on a phone conversation.
Yes, that is partly true. However, at this point, we know there were at LEAST two phone calls, and there may have been more - we don't know. And we also know that she did spend some time asking questions, so assuming that she didn't really know "anything" is incorrect. We know she knows something, we just don't know how much, or what, she knows. And, then to say that she is required to take some sort of action is a bit beyond the spirit of volunteerism.

I'm also going to drag out something I've learned as part of the hard knock school of life. Somebody I was working with once gave it a name: "What is wrong with this picture?" We were talking about job applicants we were interviewing at the time, but I've learned to apply it to a whole spectrum of other things - like when somebody is trying to sell me something, or to convince me of something. It is a very useful question - and I think that is exactly what the OP was trying to figure out. Something felt hinky - and it isn't a good idea to ignore yourself when you get that feeling. These two things are why I think the OP is making the right decisions, and asking the right questions. Once she knows the answers, or can weigh the risks, she will be better prepared to take the next step, and act, or not.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:48 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
UPDATE : I went to see the dog this am and the wife told me she has killed two cats and tried to kill a small dog and she has a very high prey drive , so no kids , no small animals including small dogs and no cats limits her options to be adopted .I called another rescue for them and they will take her but they even told me her chances are not good . I felt bad for the dog but cannot take her in because of my three lil ones fur kids I mean . So the rescue I called is going to pick her up and try to get her adopted but again with her limitations it might not be a possibility . well I have done my part and I feel okay about going and doing what I could I just hope she gets a home .

Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
GREAT! They may be surprised & find a home for her/him. Whats s/he breed/s ?? Just being nosy, tho if I didn't have Joey s/he be a great fit

Old 11-20-2017, 10:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
GREAT! They may be surprised & find a home for her/him. Whats s/he breed/s ?? Just being nosy, tho if I didn't have Joey s/he be a great fit

Katie 1 lab / german shepherd as best they know they found her running the road as a pup

Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
hi there I just had someone contact me about a dog that is currently in a home and they are wanting to re home this dog , she is utd on shots supposedly and spayed . But after talking to these people they seem just a lil too desperate to re home this dog .......... .
Back to the basic question of this post, my life experience is that once a family decides to rehomed a dog, they want it gone right now!. They aren't going to take weeks to rehomed the dog and they don't really care where it goes other than a bunch of lip service about forever homes, blah, blah, blah. Anyone who walks up and promises to give a good home walks away with the dog and the sooner the better.

Nearly 100% chance there is some sort of issue with the dog. Truly wonderful dogs with perfect manners, wonderful personalities, and no issues, go to friends or family and don't have to go to the pound or craigslist. Most of the issues can be worked out. Sometimes it is a health issue but mostly it is lack of training.

So, no, OP, I would not be the least bit surprised if a family trying to get rid of a dog seemed very anxious to have it gone. There are way too many people out there who don't have a lot of commitment to their pets and don't have any tolerance if the pet becomes inconvenient.

I read your post where you interviewed the dog. I suspect that the dog will be PTS, so this might be a case of an owner too cowardly to do the right thing and passing the decision on to someone else. It's certainly not unheard of.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:28 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
UPDATE : I went to see the dog this am and the wife told me she has killed two cats and tried to kill a small dog and she has a very high prey drive , so no kids , no small animals including small dogs and no cats limits her options to be adopted .I called another rescue for them and they will take her but they even told me her chances are not good . I felt bad for the dog but cannot take her in because of my three lil ones fur kids I mean . So the rescue I called is going to pick her up and try to get her adopted but again with her limitations it might not be a possibility . well I have done my part and I feel okay about going and doing what I could I just hope she gets a home .
Gee, how recently was the last kill or attempted kill? This dog is a potential massive financial liability to whoever takes her, at the very least, since she sounds like a larger dog, it means no small children as visitors as long as she is in the home. So, yeah, your instincts were right. A rescue should probably not be taking her if their goal is to adopt this dog out.

I have a feeling a vet has suggested to these people they euthanize her, and probably multiple times. I know, I have been there, and it is a devastating choice to make, but ultimately you have to do what's right for all the dog's potential victims. I know in our case that meant either almost complete isolation of the dog or putting her down. The vet is who convinced us that the measures we would have to take to protect other people and pets from her would be cruel to her and there was no way to explain to her why it was happening. It would have psychologically been easier for us to pawn her off on someone else to do the dirty work, but it would have been wrong also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs