Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Gee, how recently was the last kill or attempted kill? This dog is a potential massive financial liability to whoever takes her, at the very least, since she sounds like a larger dog, it means no small children as visitors as long as she is in the home. So, yeah, your instincts were right. A rescue should probably not be taking her if their goal is to adopt this dog out.

I have a feeling a vet has suggested to these people they euthanize her, and probably multiple times. I know, I have been there, and it is a devastating choice to make, but ultimately you have to do what's right for all the dog's potential victims. I know in our case that meant either almost complete isolation of the dog or putting her down. The vet is who convinced us that the measures we would have to take to protect other people and pets from her would be cruel to her and there was no way to explain to her why it was happening. It would have psychologically been easier for us to pawn her off on someone else to do the dirty work, but it would have been wrong also.
It's possible to train it out of a dog. My friends invested in sessions with an excellent trainer I recommended when their newly adopted dog (from the family ranch to their suburban home) was aggressively trying to kill their cats. After a few months of religious adherence to the trainer's protocols, the situation was largely solved. Now they are posting pictures of the dog and cats snuggled up with each other all the time on facebook. But man, it sounds like it was HARD work to get to that point!

Another trainer who is a friend of mine returned a dog to the shelter long before became a trainer due to its strong prey drive. However, it was actually stalking the neighbor kids!

I believe you can find an appropriate home for most dogs, but two cats and almost a small dog? I dunno. I'd rehome the dog to a person who lived in an apartment, had no yard and was an avid jogger. And that's only if there was absolutely no sign of human aggression whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 10:28 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
I see a lot of dogs up for adoption here listed as not good with cats. Going for smaller dogs is a bigger problem in my opinion. How was the dog otherwise in personality? Was it friendly at least? I wonder if getting her out of the situation she is in and some decent training would help.

Tough one because there are so many good natured dogs that get put to sleep, while dogs with problems like this are getting re-hab.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:12 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
UPDATE : I went to see the dog this am and the wife told me she has killed two cats and tried to kill a small dog and she has a very high prey drive , so no kids , no small animals including small dogs and no cats limits her options to be adopted .I called another rescue for them and they will take her but they even told me her chances are not good . I felt bad for the dog but cannot take her in because of my three lil ones fur kids I mean . So the rescue I called is going to pick her up and try to get her adopted but again with her limitations it might not be a possibility . well I have done my part and I feel okay about going and doing what I could I just hope she gets a home .
Phonelady: you HAVE done your part, and more. Good on ya. Your intuition was right. Thanks for letting us know.

I know of a neighbor who had two GSD who got in trouble for biting people and killing critters. The town mandated she either put up a 6' fence with top barrier (like barbed wire, or an extra 12" slanted inwards), that also extended at least 12" below ground. OR put down the dogs. She could afford the fence, but those are now some VERY expensive dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs