Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:31 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times

Advertisements

We are watching a dog show ( which I thought was the Westminster but my wife tells me I was wrong) and there are so many breeds that I think it will soon take a month to finish. Don’t get the me wrong the Pumi and others are very cute. But I never heard of them a few years ago. What breeds have you never heard of until recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 11:21 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
It's probably the National Dog Show, which is shown every year on Thanksgiving Day. The coverage, unlike that of the Westminster show (which occurs in February) is not quite as complete in that they only specifically show some of the individual breeds in the Groups. They name all the breeds and quickly pan over them as the dogs line up, but they don't show the audience the individual dog's registered name. David Frei, who is one of the commentators at the National Dog Show, was a commentator on the TV coverage of Westminster for many years.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Last summer I saw a dog that looked like a miniature golden retriever. I asked the woman what kind of dog it was. It was half golden, half dachshund. It was bred on purpose. I guess we can safely assume the female half was the golden... Artificially inseminated I assume too.

Some of these designer breeds are odd.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
what gets me is that so many people pay big money for a "designer" breed....What we grew up calling a mutt is posh now. I had no idea our heinz 57 breeds were worth so much money....even though they were always priceless to us.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:54 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Last summer I saw a dog that looked like a miniature golden retriever. I asked the woman what kind of dog it was. It was half golden, half dachshund. It was bred on purpose. I guess we can safely assume the female half was the golden... Artificially inseminated I assume too.

I can only hope that this was an accidental breeding and that the Golden was the mother. I have heard of a German Shepherd x Dachshund cross and the person who knew of the breeding told me of the German Shepherd dam that "she lay down". Breeding a Golden Retriever to a Dachshund would not be a wise choice, due to the structural and size differences between the two breeds.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:13 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post

If anyone actually wants a mini golden retriever and disapproves of designer dogs, there is the option of the purebred Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:01 PM

308 posts, read 237,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
what gets me is that so many people pay big money for a "designer" breed....What we grew up calling a mutt is posh now. I had no idea our heinz 57 breeds were worth so much money....even though they were always priceless to us.
Youre right there,theyre everywhere over here .Labradoodles were the first,though you dont see that many now. Cockerpoos (Cocker X Poodle) seem to be the in thing now,along with Chorkies (Chihuahuas X Yorkies) and Jackahuahuas pronounced Jackawawa ( Jack Russel X Chihuahuas),which is probably the worst mix ive ever heard of.

The other trend is for small short nosed breeds,Pugs and Shih tzus are incredibly popular as are French Bulldogs,once never seen but its hard to go out without spotting one now,and of course as these dogs are so popular theres no shortage of people breeding from dogs with health troubles.

I work in a small rescue kennels where we currently have a Shih tzu ,bit on the snappy side and we are waiting for the deluge of French Bulldogs which will surely come probably by the middle of next year. We are still getting over the Staffordshire Bull Terrier carnage,never mind the Greyhounds/Lurchers and the ever present Jack Russells.

People should adopt instead of breeding designer dogs with health problems

Old 11-23-2017, 06:44 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Youre right there,theyre everywhere over here .Labradoodles were the first,though you dont see that many now. Cockerpoos (Cocker X Poodle) seem to be the in thing now,along with Chorkies (Chihuahuas X Yorkies) and Jackahuahuas pronounced Jackawawa ( Jack Russel X Chihuahuas),which is probably the worst mix ive ever heard of.

The other trend is for small short nosed breeds,Pugs and Shih tzus are incredibly popular as are French Bulldogs,once never seen but its hard to go out without spotting one now,and of course as these dogs are so popular theres no shortage of people breeding from dogs with health troubles.

I work in a small rescue kennels where we currently have a Shih tzu ,bit on the snappy side and we are waiting for the deluge of French Bulldogs which will surely come probably by the middle of next year. We are still getting over the Staffordshire Bull Terrier carnage,never mind the Greyhounds/Lurchers and the ever present Jack Russells.

Actually, cockapoos are one of the oldest "designer dogs," along with pekapoos. My first dog was a pekapoo my parents got for me when I was five, back in 1969. My dad picked him, and I think he wanted to get a puppy he knew would stay small. Only reason I can think of, as the only breed I had ever mentioned myself was a collie, as I was rather obsessed with them. He was a sweet dog, but he was not Lassie! I had just been in the hospital with pneumonia, and my poor, panic-stricken dad had promised to get me a dog, even though he was not personally fond of them, and my guess is he just bought the first cute small-sized puppy he saw.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 11-23-2017 at 06:54 PM..

Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
My dog is a Catahoula/pit mix. One of my trainer friends was teasing me about how I'm going to pay a couple hundred for a "sport" dog when there are people paying over $1K for a sport-bred dog like the one I have. She's just a backyard accident I"m getting from a rescue, but she's got the perfect structure and temperament for what I want to do.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
. . .

I think the AKC breeds are quite a bit more likely to have health problems than the crossbreeds. The AKC closes the stud book for a breed. This basically guarantees that you will have more and more health problems with a breed as time goes on. The results are obvious, and photo comparisons of breed individuals from years ago vs today are readily available online. Its a pity what the AKC mindset has done to their dog breeds. Because of this, I really am not minding the cross breeds. I do think the excitement over them can be over the top, but so can the excitement over one AKC breed or another.

And, regarding adoption, while I have rescued dogs for decades, the current fad to demand adoption has created an adoption industry. It's frequently a business these days, which makes them no different than a breeder. And I am not inclined to approve.

And, BTW, re breed health, I think you have provided proof of what I speak in your post:
Quote:
. . .
The other trend is for small short nosed breeds,Pugs and Shih tzus are incredibly popular as are French Bulldogs,once never seen but its hard to go out without spotting one now,and of course as these dogs are so popular theres no shortage of people breeding from dogs with health troubles. . .
All the short nosed dogs have become more short nosed over the past 100 years because of AKC breeders. But you also point out a real problem coming out of breeders - breeders who are breeding JUST for sale, and using poor dogs to do it. This is a problem, regardless of whether the dog is AKC or not. This could happen just because a breed has gotten a popular "name" on the market. e.g. "Ooo, I want one of THOSE!" It is notable that every breed example you provided as an example of health problems is an AKC breed name.

Last edited by hiero2; 11-25-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs