Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,996,029 times

Advertisements

I mean have any of you actually adopted off there ? my friend annie is having the worst time adopting off of that site . People promise her the dog and at the last minute they will cancel on her. She has the money and everything lined up and boom they cancel or they change their minds . just the other day I went with her to look at this one ladys Chihuahua and she told the lady oh I will get him neutered and vet checked and then older lady scooped him up and told her no one was going to whack teddys nuts off ,,, so she told us to get off her property . Now from what I'm hearing from other people this website is just a step above craigslist and I'm wondering if any of you have had any success from it thanks .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:15 AM

6,520 posts, read 8,323,407 times
Yep, it was successful for me. That's where I found my current dog.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,270,361 times
I have been fortunate (I guess?) to get my rescues from local shelters and bought my reptiles from reputable breeder.... BUT I have looked many times when I was searching to adopt.

I did post adoption ads for kittens I was fostering or rehominb someone else's pet as a favor... I had very little luck on getting a response, maybe a handful. And when I responded with questions about where we can meet, details on pet care, nothing crazy, about 5 general questions... Etc to make sure the kitten will go to a good home, they will stop responding. I'm not offended or surprised. Lots of coocoo's out there seeking an easy free pet.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:47 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,302,163 times
I've been checking it out. Not a very user-friendly site. But I'm sure it serves a purpose for people who are interested in conducting their search a certain way. It seems very useful for individuals looking to rehome animals without dealing with a rescue - so that means you're going to deal with people who are inexperienced or looking to circumvent accepted standards.

Basically, my takeaway was "it is what it is"

Old 12-06-2017, 11:39 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,105,789 times
When I was looking there, the animals were all gone by the time I got there. I don’t see its point. My most recent rescue is a psychologically damaged cat that hides most of the time. The good think is that she uses her box and does scratch the furniture.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,879,234 times
I've been successful 1 time. The thing is most people don't remove their pet from the list after it has been adopted. Lazy, I think. As far as I can tell, it is completely computer driven with little if any human management.

My best luck has been with local rescues. Google pet rescues in your area and fill out the (sometimes lengthy) applications. We found our precious Teddy, Maltese and poodle mix) only 1 year old that way.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've been successful 1 time. The thing is most people don't remove their pet from the list after it has been adopted. Lazy, I think. As far as I can tell, it is completely computer driven with little if any human management.

My best luck has been with local rescues. Google pet rescues in your area and fill out the (sometimes lengthy) applications. We found our precious Teddy, Maltese and poodle mix) only 1 year old that way.

now see my friend annie got scammed by a rescue in florida and her husband has said no to any more rescues because they got in a legal nightmare and they put out a lot of money trying to get their money back and they never recovered a dime because the rescue picked up and was cleared out before you could sneeze and apparently they had done this to several people .Apparently that happens a lot all over the country .

Old 12-07-2017, 08:09 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,879,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
now see my friend annie got scammed by a rescue in florida and her husband has said no to any more rescues because they got in a legal nightmare and they put out a lot of money trying to get their money back and they never recovered a dime because the rescue picked up and was cleared out before you could sneeze and apparently they had done this to several people .Apparently that happens a lot all over the country .
Well that is certainly true. Some hoarders claim to be rescues and they get tax breaks we all would like. It is prudent to carefully check out any charity, pet rescues included.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:10 AM

6,520 posts, read 8,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I, too, didn't have any success with rescues so that is why we looked at rescueme.org. We adopted our dog directly from a family looking to rehome him.

If rescueme.org and rescues are out of consideration, why not your friend's local shelter?

Old 12-08-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I, too, didn't have any success with rescues so that is why we looked at rescueme.org. We adopted our dog directly from a family looking to rehome him.

If rescueme.org and rescues are out of consideration, why not your friend's local shelter?

well they have and all they ever seem to have is pit bull and pit bull mixes house insurance wont allow that breed . they also wont do huskies , rotties ,dobies etc she checked with her house insurance and there are breed restrictions on the policy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs