U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 54,832 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a dog with an ACL injury? Did you have surgery or two months down time. Samsan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 PM

10,347 posts, read 10,791,285 times
someone I know is dealing with that now - it's a big dog, though, around 90 lbs. Medication for now to see if it will heal on its own, which it should if she doesn't re-injure it, according to the vet. She seems to be doing OK, and is hobbling around quite well on 3 legs.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:18 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,988,604 times
We had it twice in one dog (once on each leg). Dog is nearly 70 lbs.

She landed wrong on a jump. The vet had us wait a week+, but she still would not put any weight on the leg - walked around on three legs. She ended up being a candidate for surgery.

It is a big surgery. Her leg was opened from her upper thigh all the way to her ankle and artificial parts were put in.

Post-op led to another problem. The healing process is very long, and the vet warned us that with some dogs, they'll put all the weight on the "good" leg and can then risk injury to that leg. Well, our dog is very active and it was hard keeping her still and she ended up with a cruciation in the "good" leg as well . That one was not as bad of a tear (not a candidate for surgery), so we let it heal on its' own.

Today, years later, she walks just fine (99% "normal"). I give her daily supplements of Glocosamine with MSM and that keeps her leg from "clicking" (arthritis). She is still very active and runs around at top speed. I don't let her jump anymore.

If your vet has told you that the dog is a candidate for surgery, I would suggest doing the surgery. If you don't - and you just let it heal on its' own - you run the risk of further leg problems down the road. If surgery is suggested, then the tear is bad and the longer you wait, your opportunity for surgery closes (the leg will start to heal "wrong" very quickly).

Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 AM

2 posts, read 23,075 times
Thumbs up ACL Injuries

For ACL injuries I recommend having surgery. I'm a vet tech. & currently working with canine rehabilitation and conditioniong. I also recommend talking to your vet about referring you & your pet to therapist for hydrotherapy following the surgery. ( For general exercise/conditioning [canine], I think swimmimg is the best!!! ) Good Luck.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:59 AM

6 posts, read 54,832 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. My dog is a 2 yr old, 11lb, Yorkie mix/mutt. The vet has said surgery on small dogs is totally elective. He has told me 4 wks down time, no walks, no play, no jump and carry her outside to go to the bathroom. He said that after the 4 wks he will tell me 4 more weeks of the same. I am also giving the supplements. We are about 5 days into the 8 week period. She is doing pretty good. It is sad b/c she was such an active dog, but I know she will be again. I had no idea that dogs are 5 times more likely to undergo ACL surgery than humans.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
someone I know is dealing with that now - it's a big dog, though, around 90 lbs. Medication for now to see if it will heal on its own, which it should if she doesn't re-injure it, according to the vet. She seems to be doing OK, and is hobbling around quite well on 3 legs.
Riveree, it was helpful to read your post. Thank you.

This dog that I mentioned in my earlier post was coming along OK, but injured her other leg yesterday. Vet said that can happen as the dog compensates for the injured leg by shifting the weight to the good leg. Well, that's what has happened. Maddy was x-rayed this morning just to make sure there was nothing going on with the hips and leg bone, and vet said he can examine the leg much better when the dog is asleep and not resisting the manipulations. The other ACL is almost, if not totally, torn. She is a candidate for surgery so looks like that's the only way to go now. She was hobbling around on three legs, but now can't use either of her hind legs.
She's already lost some extra weight, but has more to go. She's 87 lbs, and should be around 65-70, so taking off the weight will help too, but that takes time.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:44 PM

699 posts, read 1,674,006 times
Our dog injured her ACL - same thing , jumped and landed wrong. She was limping and luckily it wasn't hot to the touch. She was put on no activity and I think she got medication - maybe an anti inflamitory - but I don't remember. We carried our 65lb baby up and down stairs. She got so she would wait for us at the top or bottom of the stairs so we could carry her. She did heal, but the vet said there is still the chance that she will injure it again (her breed has a tendency to have this issue) and need surgery. The surgery is quite extensive and expensive - not that I wouldn't do it for her, we just wanted to take the least invasive option first to give her the chance to heal herself and it worked.

The only side effect was it took here couple of weeks to stop expecting free rides up and down the stairs LOL! On a serious note, we do watch her activity and don't encourage lots of jumping.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
Our dog injured her ACL - same thing , jumped and landed wrong. She was limping and luckily it wasn't hot to the touch. She was put on no activity and I think she got medication - maybe an anti inflamitory - but I don't remember. We carried our 65lb baby up and down stairs. She got so she would wait for us at the top or bottom of the stairs so we could carry her. She did heal, but the vet said there is still the chance that she will injure it again (her breed has a tendency to have this issue) and need surgery. The surgery is quite extensive and expensive - not that I wouldn't do it for her, we just wanted to take the least invasive option first to give her the chance to heal herself and it worked.

The only side effect was it took here couple of weeks to stop expecting free rides up and down the stairs LOL! On a serious note, we do watch her activity and don't encourage lots of jumping.

So glad yours healed up OK without the surgery. We are looking at surgery for sure.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 PM

Well, my sister's Maddy had ACL surgery (TPLO) this morning. It went well, the vet said, and she came through it just fine (she's almost 10, a lot for a larger breed). She's a rescue that my sister got at 7 mos. Revovery period will be 8 weeks of very restricted activity. We have an indoor x-pen set up for her that is quite large, all slick floors are covered with carpeting or rugs, and she will be allowed to go out (with assistance) to do her business and come back in. That's it.

We think we're ready for her. My sister works, so I will have to go over and attend to her on those days. You praying folks out there, please say a prayer for us, would you, and for Maddy that we do the right thing by her and don't make any mistakes.

We pick her up Friday (tomorrow). I'm nervous about the ride home, as the vet said to transport her in an SUV (on a flat surface). I'm thinking maybe we should put her in a crate and load that in the SUV for transport. That would prevent her from trying to stand up in the back where she would have to maybe brace herself against turns, etc.
I always transport my dogs crated in the car, so I tend to favor the crate.

What do you all think?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,169,496 times
Is the back of the car carpet...IF yes leave her free. Dont add any thing like blankets she can tangle in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs