Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 01:17 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
One problem... huge problem, actually. The dog gets motion sickness in the car. I know we can slowly introduce him to the car and all that. But we really don't have the time to do it. We have to leave in a few days. Is there any over the counter med we can give the pup? He gets really anxious when he gets close to the car.
Can you ask the vet that you saw if he could recommend any medicine?

Otherwise, one of you sitting in back with him might help calm him; and try to drive smoothly. Make frequent rest stops at places where you can take him out for a potty and fresh air break. He might be young enough to get over it. Maybe he was pushed out of a car or truck and abandoned...It's great that you're taking him; he looks like a lovely pup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:58 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
we used to give my childhood dog dramamine for carsickness, 1 hour before a car trip. check with the vet (especially to find out the appropriate dosage) but it worked for our dog.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:04 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
I gave my young dog a homeopathic motion sickness remedy I got at a health food store. It worked very well and she did outgrow it and came to love riding in the car. Ginger might help too.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:02 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
One problem... huge problem, actually. The dog gets motion sickness in the car. I know we can slowly introduce him to the car and all that. But we really don't have the time to do it. We have to leave in a few days. Is there any over the counter med we can give the pup? He gets really anxious when he gets close to the car.
check with the vet. Friends of mine use to get something for anxiety and sickness for their lab when they traveled.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:22 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,997,253 times
Quote:
I'll go with the blankets under the dog to catch the vomit, and otherwise let him ride and don't worry. Stop every hour or two and make it a fun stop for the dog. Treats, play - something the dog thinks is fun - a park to smell - a roadside to smell - anything he enjoys. Since he is a pup and learning this you need to make the stops a bit more often - which is why I say every hour or two. I would say every hour, but I'm trying to compromise so you don't have to take forever to drive the trip. What you want is for the dog to learn that the ride is followed by something fun. I have acclimated dogs who vomited on entering a car - from nerves - turned them into dogs who loved to ride. Although one - took him a few years to make that change! But throwing up won't hurt him in the long run.

Dramamine is used for dogs, just like ppl. You can try it, but I wouldn't recommend it if you can do without. Check with a vet for dosage. Ginger - raw - dry - sugared - tea - pretty much any form - is good for anti-nausea, although not quite as good as dramamine. It DOES have a big advantage in that it isn't a drug. You could give him ginger tea instead of water. Or maybe he will eat the ginger.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
So, what is the little cutie's name??

Old 12-14-2017, 09:20 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,377 times
Update.

We called the sheriff's office again to ask if anyone's been looking for a dog of this description. Still no. We have been looking at various websites for people looking for a lost dog like this in the area we found him. Still nothing.

The truth is we have fallen in love with him. It's been over a week and still no luck in finding the original owner. So, tonight we have decided to keep him. He's coming with us to Florida.

He's not super shy with us anymore. He likes taking walks with us now. He also likes to come and cuddle with us. He's also getting along very well with our 15 year old dog. So, yeah, he's part of our family now.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
So, what is the little cutie's name??
No name yet. As soon as we come up with a name, we will chip him.

The vet gave him a clean bill of health.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:23 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
Quote:
Update.

We called the sheriff's office again to ask if anyone's been looking for a dog of this description. Still no. We have been looking at various websites for people looking for a lost dog like this in the area we found him. Still nothing.

The truth is we have fallen in love with him. It's been over a week and still no luck in finding the original owner. So, tonight we have decided to keep him. He's coming with us to Florida.

He's not super shy with us anymore. He likes taking walks with us now. He also likes to come and cuddle with us. He's also getting along very well with our 15 year old dog. So, yeah, he's part of our family now.

I think you're doing the right thing; Puppy will have a long and wonderful life with you! Let us know how he (and you) handle the ride back.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:58 AM

919 posts, read 609,251 times
Quote:
Update.

It's what's best for him & I'm so glad that your 15yo has accepted him.
Wishing you many happy years together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs