Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:41 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the fiber ideas, they sound like good ones!

I appreciate all the comments. Sometimes i wonder if it's just her "nerves" making her lick, but i can smell it, so it's REAL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 02:49 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What about more fiber in the diet? Pug owners used to swear by adding in canned pumpkin puree to their dogs' food in order to combat anal gland issues. It has to be the plain unsweetened kind, not pumpkin pie filling. And I'd also suggest the addition of some plain cooked oatmeal as another good source of fiber.
Second this. A previous dog of mine had gland issues until a dog forum and my vet suggested canned pumpkin. I started adding it to meals. She loved it and the added fiber/bulk helped keep the glands expressed very nicely.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:37 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
"Raw diet" is a cute notion but has zero scientific basis and has many potential serious problems. I feed one of my dogs carrot to bulk up his stool to eliminate (ha) this problem. Works great.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:39 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
P ---- U!!!

(Edited to add: the vet mentioned that the glands CAN be removed, but only as a last resort. I read that that can cause a lot of complications.)
If the pumpkin doesn't solve it, then I would have the above done. Its my understanding that it isn't that risky, it isn't that complicated, but it is kind of tricky to do it properly, if that makes sense. Frankly, I would have done it awhile ago if I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Second this. A previous dog of mine had gland issues until a dog forum and my vet suggested canned pumpkin. I started adding it to meals. She loved it and the added fiber/bulk helped keep the glands expressed very nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs