Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 AM

33 posts, read 207,638 times

Advertisements

What a supportive group this is, and I'm so happy to have found you all.

Jan,

Cyrus continues to do well with the neoplasene. He REALLY doesn't like drops in his nose, or ears, or anywhere else. So far, Dr. Scanlan has given him the drops with no problem; she does it so quickly he doesn't have time to react. Plus, she has him lying down so he can't back up and run away. Dr. Scanlan has administered 4 treatments so far....now I'm on my own to do it myself this Friday for the first time. I'm just going to try to be quick and not let him see me coming, and remember it's for his own good, even if he doesn't like it.

What I didn't mention in my last post was that Cyrus is also getting chemo treatments at Veterinary Cancer Group, Culver City, with Dr. Sue Downing. His first treatment was 3 weeks ago and the next one is tomorrow. He had a couple of days of not wanting to eat which was very upsetting. Is there anyone here who has done or is doing chemo for nasal cancer? If so, I'd love to hear the results.

Tallmomma,

I too am very curious to hear what Dr. Ayl has to say about neoplasene. About 5 years ago he treated another one of my leonbergers for hemangiosarcoma and extended my dog's life for 13 months after the diagnosis which is quite a long time. I had a great experience with Dr. Ayl. I think he is one of the most brilliant and compassionate docs, human or animal, I've ever met. I'd be going to him now for Cyrus if he was still in Los Angeles.

Anyway, you're in great hands with Dr. Ayl. I really think you and Dr. Ayl should look into the neoplasene. It can't hurt and chances are good it will help. Please keep us informed....

Thanks again to everyone on this board for all your help.
Tracey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 12:31 AM

Default Cyrus

You can see a picture of Cyrus on my website:

pet friendly travel, pet friendly hotel motel, pet vacation rentals, pet travel

Cyrus is the one on the right with his buddy, Ajax. A few months ago Ajax was diagnosed with advanced bone cancer and his owners decided to end his suffering. Rest in Peace, Ajax.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 40,780 times
Oh well not getting any good response here....I do feel invisible.

According to my vet the people in Brisbane with the 3D machine feel that they can't help Ben because the radiation beams will go through both of his eyeballs and cause blindness. I must get their phone number as I would like to speak to them directly.

Anyway I have started Ben on the Budwig Flax Oil/Cottage Cheese diet and after 2 days his quality of life has improved. He is far more energetic on walks, and when called he comes trotting to me with a bounce in his step rather than the slow walk of an old dog just a few days ago. Apparently the effects of the Budwig Diet can be fairly quick. But must be taken at least for 3 moths for full affects of tumour reduction and elimination. Check it out it works according to many people from independant sources.

It appears this foruym is more for people looking ONLY for harsh medical cures/treatements. And I will continue my journey with teh natural and effective alternative cures. Hopefully Ben will be treated in time to survive and be proof that some alternative yet scientifically tested cures do work.

Good luck all.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Check out Neoplasene

Aussie007,

My dog Cyrus, a leonberger, was diagnosed with nasal cancer on Aug. 25, 2008. My vet did a scope of his nose and removed much of the tumor. Because of his age -- almost 11 -- and some other health issues over the last couple of years he's unable to undergo radiation. I discovered a holistic vet in my area -- Dr. Nancy Scanlan, Sherman Oaks Veterinary Group, Sherman Oaks, CA -- who has been using neoplasene for nasal cancer for about a year now. She's treated 5 dogs and all have shown marked improvement. Dr. Scanlan dilutes the neoplasene and uses it as nose drops. After his first treatment on Aug. 29th Cyrus sneezed and a piece of the tumor was discharged! The drops are administered once a week for now and so far, Cyrus has had no more nose bleeds or sneezing and no difficulty breathing through his nose. I am EXTREMELY encouraged about the results so far and would recommend it to anyone who's looking for an alternative/addition to radiation and chemo. Contact Dr. Nancy Scanlan in Sherman Oaks, California, PH. 818-784-9977

Old 09-25-2008, 06:16 PM

104 posts, read 469,730 times
Default more about neoplasene

i spoke with dr scanlan today and she did say that one of her patients was cured, as in, MRI after treatment showed elimination of the nasal tumor from use of neoplasene drops. i will keep dr scanlan in mind as some place to go when tillie's symptoms return in a way that may make her uncomfortable. the doctor suggested that her treatment may not be necessary at this time although no doctor wants to wait until the time is too late. (that was the same issue with radiation - when was the right time to do it)

dr ayl has worked with dr scanlan in the past - the veterinary oncology world is still rather small - and recommended that i speak with her. he was aware of her work with neoplasene and other homeopathic roots. all sounds pretty interesting and, by the way, not that expensive.

cyrusboy - let us know how your nose spraying went. also, how often does your boy get his drops. are the symptoms of his cancer totally gone and also, are there any side effects from using the neoplasene drops?

thanks.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Neoplasene

I gave Cyrus the nose drops without a problem. I was very quick so he didn't see it coming. There are no side effects with the neoplasene. Apparently, though, with some dogs it can work as an appetite suppressent.

For now Cyrus gets the drops only once a week. Dr. Scanlan said if there is a return of symptoms I should give it to him twice a week. Some dogs, she said, get the drops every day. Today was the 5th week and there has been no further nosebleeds, no congestion, and very little sneezing (usually only when he is outside sniffing something).

Yesterday I met with the oncologist and we decided not to continue with the chemo. I didn't like the fact that Cyrus wouldn't eat as a result and I think it was just too hard on his system. As the oncologist pointed out as long as Cyrus is doing well on the neoplasene there is no need to go to Plan B (chemo or Palliative IMRT)

Hope all is well with everyone!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:14 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,288,159 times
This thread is a timely discovery, although at the moment I'm still in the "don't know for sure what's going on" stage. My almost-7-year-old Sibe is having a rhinoscopy on Tuesday (October 7th) to see if he has a tumor or polyp in his sinus. For most of this year, he's had unilateral congestion in his left nostril. Sometimes it's boogery, sometimes it's runny. In April, I took him to the vet and she did a cytology on a smear and saw some bacteria, so gave him an antibiotic. It didn't do much. At that point, she never mentioned that it could be something more severe. Honestly, I thought it was allergies. I know he has mild allergies -- his esinophils levels are always elevated, but he doesn't have parasites, so the other alternative is allergies -- but he doesn't have much in the way of allergy symptoms, really, so I've never had him allergy-tested. He sneezes, but mostly only when he goes outside. A couple months ago I switched our air filter to a super-strength allergen-blocking filter, and it seemed to me that his congestion and the boogers lessened. So I had every reason to think that whatever was up with his nose was allergy-related.

Ban is epileptic and I took him back to the vet in mid-September to have his phenobarbital levels tested, and she and I spoke about his nose. I asked her to check his teeth to make sure there was nothing amiss there that could explain the unilateral infection, and there wasn't. That's when she mentioned the possibility that it might be a tumor or a polyp. *gulp* So anyway, he's going in on Tuesday and they'll put him under anesthesia (always a risky business with him because of his epilepsy) and scope the nose to see what they see. I'm more than a little anxious.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:25 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
I will keep my fingers crossed and send out some prayers that Ban does not join the others here with a diagnosis of cancer and that he does OK with being put under for his procedure.I am assuming they will use propofol which is very well tolerated and short acting so he should do fine. The waiting is the hardest part.

Dash had spent his life developing weird bumps and growths that sent me to the vets.Some of them very rapid growing some slow but not one of them was a cancer so I was hoping the nose would be the same way just a polyp but no it was cancer So I do know how you are feeling right now but try to stay positive and let us know the results as we could use some good news!

Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
Thought I would update you on Dash. This past weekend he developed a bad nose bleed and much to my disappointment blood was coming out of both sides. I got it stopped by using ice ( cold constricts blood vessels) and giving him Benadryl. Well then he got all stuffed up and was panting as his nose was so stuffy.When he ate he made what I call a snorffle noise, if you were here you would agree my made up name fits the noise.

He is still eating, going on walks and acting ok he was just stuffed up and finding sleep difficult. Monday I called Dr. Ayl and his assistant was gone for the week , he was going to be off Tue and Wed so I got turfed to the intern and the earliest they could get him in was Friday,but I will be out of town this weekend . Monday he will see Dr. Ayl. I asked if there was a decongestant and she did not know so it was a frustrating day then right about 5:45 she called me back and said they could give him a decongestant and I could pick it up at my vets office, Problem now being it was so late that my vet would be closed by 6 so it would have to wait until morning. I took him in the bathroom and ran a hot shower then rubbed some Tiger Balm on the inside of his ear flaps where it could not get licked off and that helped enough that he was able to sleep some.

He has had no more bleeds and is not so stuffed up now that he is on the decongestant and he is his usual self but I will be honest I am nervous about leaving him this weekend. I won't be gone long as I leave Friday and return Sunday night.He and Jazz will be home with a pet sitter. I am sure he will be fine but there is that small possibility not and it does have my stomach in knotts.

Or maybe those Knotts are the fear that this means we are dealing with active cancer again either the tumor has become active and is eating through to the right or we have some cells that the radiation missed and they have traveled as cancer does in the blood to the right side. It could be an infection but that small voice is telling me not

I will say if it is the cancer I still do consider his IMRT successful as it was only palliative so was for comfort and quality of life not to try to cure him.He has had such a great time since the IMRT in May so yea we accomplished the goal I set out to do. I consider the expense to be money well spent as I have had my dog all these months and most people did not know there was anything wrong with him. So for now I am back in the waiting game to see what Dr. Ayl thinks .

One of my coworkers has had bad sinusitis and he is snorffling too so I told him that being with him was like being home with Dash. I just can't get away from that noise!

Hope everyone else is doing OK . Remember to enjoy each day with your dog as each day is a precious gift.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 AM

104 posts, read 469,730 times
Default to ban and dash

let us know what happens with ban. the symptoms do not sound quite like what tillie went through before the nasal cancer was diagnosed so we will hope for the best.

for dash - would you consider a trip to sherman oaks for neoplasene drops? ask dr ayl about this when you see him on monday. as i wrote earlier, i spoke with dr scanlan who has administered these holistic drops in a number of dogs with some success in relieving symptoms at much less cost (40 bucks plus 100 or so for the office visit) than radiation. (she will sell you the drops and you can put them in yourself. hold on tight!) tillie has not seen her yet but i plan on going there when her symptoms come back as, sadly, i know they will at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs