U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM

3,506 posts, read 4,886,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Been thinking about you Jan and wondering how you were doing. What a beautiful picture of your 2 fur-kids!

{Hugz}

Thanks it has been rough and I find myself very thankful I have Dazzle and Phoenix. Just watching Phoenix blossom and get past her grief over my dad was been a wonderful gift. I really can not imagine loosing a dog and not having another one already with me to help me past the grief.We are also spending lots of time at the dog park where I can get lots of love from lots of dogs as I find that very healing too and both dogs so love to go and socialize as they are a couple very social dogs. I plan to write A little tribute to Jazz and have been working on a special photo for it and that. Loss of a loved being is never easy but we do survive and learn to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM

129 posts, read 286,162 times
Jan, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news about Jazz. I certainly understand how you are feeling now.

I just finished writing a book about Scout. I did it for my daughter as a Christmas gift, but I think it was mostly for me. =) It's modeled after the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" series and begins with "If you give Scout a pat, he'll be your very best friend." I used Shutterfly and put photographs throughout. There have been many tears on my computer and I'm not sure when I'll be able to read it to her without tearing up, but I'm so glad to have done it.

Best wishes, Jan.

Erica

Old 11-14-2010, 02:50 PM

Thanks Erica, OMG your book sounds so cute! I am sure it will be a treasured gift for ever! As much as you cried in making it it was all probably healing as it really helps to shed tears for our best friends. Jan

Old 11-19-2010, 04:40 AM

72 posts, read 81,622 times
Dear Jan, a beautiful picture and has brought tears to my eyes for your loss of Jazz. This has been a very hard year for you, and you continue to support the group. We seem to have trouble logging in sometimes, which is why we don't stop often as before. Our Rocky birthday was Nov. 17th, he had a wonderful life of 12.4 years. What Joyce wrote of the bad cold makes me feel so terrible as he never complained, just was his sweet self. Sending alot of love to all, and our prayers are with Jan especially. Our dear ones are all together, free of pain and they are watching over us. We believe that is true. Holding you all tightly in love and prayer, Darbi

Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

104 posts, read 286,852 times
Jan - echoing the comments of others, so sorry for your loss and what a beautiful picture. with sadness and thanks i think of all the dogs who have been loved and cared for by those of us on this site and thank you especially for being there the whole time. Arlene, still missing tillie every day.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 AM

60 posts, read 84,895 times
Jan,
what a beautiful picture of your two precious pups now in heaven. They both have big goofy grins, evidence that they were very happy and mustve had a great life with you! If you dont mind could I have your mailing address? I understand if you dont want to post it on here so you can send it to me in an email, blondiejoy14@yahoo.com. I would like to send you something. I hope that you and everyone else on here has a very happy thanksgiving, we all have alot to be thankful for, even though alot of us on here have experienced loss and suffering this past year we can all be greatful for the time and love that our animals gave us..
I have been very busy with work and of course my new pup shimmy, she is very excited for thanksgiving as well of course, more food in the house for her to try and steal! lol
Erica, I think that was a beautiful idea of making a book about Scout, what a way to remember him! I did something similar for my Sheldon, I made a scrapbook of his life and filled it with photos, cards, quotes and notes written for him..it was very therapeutic and its also a great keepsake to have...
I hope everyone has a happy turkey day!
xo
joyce and sheldon from above, and now shimmy by my side...

Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,390 times
Default Nasal hemangiosarcoma

Thanks heavens my Golden didn't have to go threw a biospy has she snezed out part of the tumor and proceeded to have a severe nose bleed. I picked the tissue up and took her and it to the vet. Since being with Pet Hospice November 4th, she has been doing great! Have her on Prednisone, Doxycylcine, Reglan and Tramadol. Bad news is, she re-tore her ACL last week and we are having to keep her contained until it can scar over. Hospice was here last night, examined her and gave her a cortisone shot in her shoulder that has osteoartritis.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 AM

19 posts, read 43,723 times
Default Happy Holiday to All from Kisses & Pet Parents

Wishing you all a VERY joyous holiday season. Kisses is still with us, just a month shy of his 17th. birthday! When he had his Cyber Knife radiation, we were hoping he would see 16. I can't begin to give enough praise for the Colorado State Univ. Animal Cancer Center. When he arrived there, his cancer filled the nostril and was starting into the left eye orbit and into the hard palate. Their skilled treatment has given him so much more life to live. He's now almost completely blind (radiation took out the left eye and a huge cataract the right), and he's getting some arthritis, but despite all that, he knows when we're there. We love him every day and try to keep him as comfortable and secure as possible. Jan, I'm so sorry for your loss of Jazz; I know how hard it will be to lose one dog; I can't imagine losing two so close together.

Here's a link to Kisses blog, which, if anyone wants to see the Cyber Knife procedure, you scroll down to Aug 2009 in older posts, you will see a few pix of the actual procedure

Kisses - My Journey - Canine Nasal Cancer

Attached Thumbnails
Nasal cancer-20101122-kisses.jpg  

Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Just learned my 11 yr old Border Collie springer spaniel mix may have nasal cancer, we are awaiting the biopsy results but after looking with a scope my vet is pretty certain this is the case.

I am interestind in hearing of anyone elses experiences with it and what treatment if any they sought as I would like to make the best decision for my dog as he has been such a great dog. I would like to have him around for as long as possible as he and my other dog are what got me through my mom's recent battle with cancer and her death but I know I don't want time if it comes at the expense of quality. Thanks.
My 10 year old Golden was diagnoised with a nasal hermangiosarcoma November 1st. Only option was raditation which has severe side effects. We have a Pet Hospice and they make home visits. They have her on some new meds and you would never know she is dying with cancer. I know her time is short, so we are both just enjoying every minute of everyday.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Ice Queen thanks for the update on Kisses. I am so glad to hear he is doing well and now it is the problems of being a little old man that are more at issue then the cancer. I had considered calling CSU about Jazz's tumor behind her eye but things progressed too fast and when that eye ruptured and sealed it became a call of comfort and she would have never been able to go to Colorado alone as that would have freaked her. With my dad's death and just it being this time of year I would never have been able to get time off to take her. I feel for her I did what was best and let her go but man oh man I do miss her. She had so much personality and zest for life. I do find comfort in believeing that she is now back with Dash and the two of them are having grand times together and both eating Grandmas's pancakes once more with their old buddies Henry and Taffy ( my parents dogs that they knew most of their lives) as they were very bonded . The techs at the kennel use to say they were like an old married couple!

debpklake, I am sorry to hear about your Golden and hope she is granted a peaceful ending to her earth bound life. I hear Hospice for animals is catching on more now which is a good thing. Isn't hermangiosarcoma a common cancer in the breed? I know of several people that have lost dogs to it all in different locations of their bodies. Maybe some day they can figure out what is causing it and wipe it out or at least get the numbers down in the breeds prone to it. My friend that takes in old dogs to let them live out what ever time they have left often gets Cockers or Goldens with Hemangiosarcomas . I think my friend is way ahead of hospice as that is what she has been doing for these dogs for many years and the great part is they were dogs that were dumped because they were sick or old and she loved then until the end as her goal was to let then die feeling loved. I am sure there are angel wings with her name on them! Such a huge heart she has.

To the rest of you I do hope you are all enjoying the holiday season as sad as it may be at times when we think of our losses. To those of you with new pooches have fun with a first Christmas together with them. Jazz loved Christmas and did a dance of joy when I would get a christmas tree and you had bet she and Dash both expected gifts and would sniff every one to figure out which ones would be theirs yet they never opened them until I told them they could and then they ripped into the paper! I also could not open a gift of my own with out Jazz's nose right there, I will miss that this year as Dazzle and Phoenix are just not into it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs