U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-22-2012, 02:28 AM
 
42 posts, read 43,458 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

Can't medical treatment be Ok for your dog? Or is it too late?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2012, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Qld Australia
11 posts, read 17,834 times
Reputation: 28
Dash I started reading these posts way back from page 1, you are obviously a wonderful caring person, here you are years later giving support and information and hope to all us dog lovers who are going through a terrible time. It is a waiting game, waiting to see if what you are doing is helping and hoping and praying like mad that it is.
My Pixie has a little tail and when it wags it looks like it is going round in circles, and I know she will go before me but I also know that when it is my turn.... she will be there with that little tail going round and round saying 'hurry up Mum lets go and play'. If Heaven doesnt have dogs I don't want to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Qld Australia
11 posts, read 17,834 times
Reputation: 28
On a more serious note, I have read that H2O2 hydrogen peroxide can kill cancer tumors. I am going to spray a solution of 3% food grade h2o2 taken down 50% up Pixies' nose, I have flushed my own nose with it, and it did help my sinus infection and post nasal drip. We have nothing to lose and a lot to gain if it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 04:02 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,036 times
Reputation: 10
My dog which is a black cocker spaniel named Henry , was diagnosed with nasal carcinoma cancer and i have been upset ever since, i really dont know what to do, he had a sister that died when she was 5 i think, cause of cancer, i am trying everything i can to make him enjoy his last few months, the vet says he only has a few months to live, so i have bought him Vetzyme high strength flexible joint with glucosamine, chondroitin, msm and omega 3, i am hopeing he will be able to walk more often without feeling lethargic and limping, i want him to have the best few months he has to live, also he is taking antibiotics? i have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible for my dogs nasal carcinoma to shrink without the chemo, radiation or operation? I have read on some websites of people naturally beating the cancer for there dog, i am staying positive!

2. When hes sneezing quite often does that mean he cant breath or can he breath through his mouth and other nostril?

3. What should i be feeding him to keep him healthy and happier, the vet said to bring him back in 2 weeks, i hope i can keep his tumor in his nose under control, its painful for me to see him walking around with a limp and trying to breath but then he wags his tail comes for hugs and trys to show hes ok and happy to me.

4. What are the antibiotics doing to help the cancer?

I hope these new tablets i bought today will make him walk better and enjoy life more!

29/05/2012 1 hour after tablets i gave him Vetzyme high strength flexible joint with glucosamine, chondroitin, msm and omega 3



29/05/2012 i think this is about 2-3 hours after i took him for a walk to the bottom of the street then he started to pant and become tired so i walked back up with him and he was doing that sneezing sound while he was walking up


Last edited by Henrys dog owner; 05-29-2012 at 04:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Qld Australia
11 posts, read 17,834 times
Reputation: 28
Hi Henry's dog owner, I really think it is worse for us owners than the dogs. I am trying to be positive as I know that dogs pick up on our moods. I have Pixie on the Johanna Budwig proticol, do a search on it and you will see it is worth a try. Plus a few drops of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide in his water could help. I am also checking out the Blackstrap molasses. My only concern with that is that it comes from sugar cane and cancers feed on sugar. Go back to the early pages of this thread and you may pick up other things worth doing.

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,036 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyluva View Post
Hi Henry's dog owner, I really think it is worse for us owners than the dogs. I am trying to be positive as I know that dogs pick up on our moods. I have Pixie on the Johanna Budwig proticol, do a search on it and you will see it is worth a try. Plus a few drops of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide in his water could help. I am also checking out the Blackstrap molasses. My only concern with that is that it comes from sugar cane and cancers feed on sugar. Go back to the early pages of this thread and you may pick up other things worth doing.

Good Luck.
I forgot to add he also has Lymphomia i think its called, i am staying upbeat is the budwig helping and how quick will i see an improvment the vet wants to see him in 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Qld Australia
11 posts, read 17,834 times
Reputation: 28
Pixie's coat is soft and looks wonderful, she still sneezes but not much blood and gunk comes out only occasionally. She sometimes looks sad and doesn't want to eat.

I have to spoon feed her the Budwig mixture, but once she has had a little bit she will clean up the bowl.

It's really hard cause you cannot see if anything is working, because the tumor is in her nose and sinus without an xray I have no way of knowing if what I am doing is working.

When it stops raining, I will take her and the others for a walk to the dam, she loves that and would normally race around (like she did last week) and go for a swim. If she still does that then I will take it that she is still ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM
 
5 posts, read 8,347 times
Reputation: 10
An update on Ziggy. This past Friday (June 1) Ziggy seemed worse and his nose was bleeding more. He has been on 10 mg. of Prednisone for about two weeks. Ziggy spent Friday afternoon outside with us when we were mowing--running around and then resting in the shade. Toward the end of the afternoon when I put the mower away, I went to check on him where he was resting and watching my husband mow. He was licking his legs the way Brittanys try to clean themselves. He was covered in blood down his chest, legs, and nose. He was trying to clean the blood on his legs. I thought he was hemorhaging from his nose, but my husband noticed two large pieces of tumor lying on the ground. And I do mean large, and seemingly mostly intact polyps. One piece was the size of my pinky finger, and the other was a long as my index finger and almost as big around. We later picked them up and bagged them to take to our vet. They appeared to be polyps with an attachment point at one end on the larger piece. We cleaned Ziggy up, and by now the bleeding had mostly stopped. Our vet was amazed that he sneezed out what looked to be most of the tumor. We kept Ziggy on the same dose of Prednisone through the weekend, and now we're halving it to see what happens. So far, just very minimal bleeding. Ziggy has been on this dose of Prednisone for about 2 weeks, and the side effects of the panting, drinking, and eating are hard on him and us, so we'll see how things go. We and our vet credit the Prednisone with helping Ziggy shed this much tumor on his own. Even though Prednisone can be awful and great at the same time, it seems to be worth trying, although, obviously polyps are better to deal with than a more invasive tumor. Ziggy is getting some air through the bleeding nostril now. Good luck to everyone logging on here hoping for some answers. I'll update on Ziggy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,924 times
Reputation: 10
Hello all, I came across this board in researching nasal tumors in dogs. I hope our experience will be of some help.

My dog Kia (border collie / australian shepherd mix) was diagnosed with a nasal carcinoma in her left nasal cavity. She will be 16 years old in August. Given her age, she is still very active and we go on long walks every day. She even manages the 2 flights of stairs in our house with no problems. People are always amazed when they ask how old she is, especially after seeing her running around. Here's our journey so far:

It started with some mucousy discharge around mid-April and on the morning of May 2 she had a bloody nose. Not too much blood, there were droplets in and around her bedding and a little coming out of her left nostril. Otherwise, she was fine. Her activity level, personality and appetite were all normal. Our vet checked her out and recommended a CT scan. She also prescribed some Clavimox in case it was some bacterial infection. The Clavimox helped - she never got another bloody nose, but she still had some nasal discharge and she sneezed a bit more than usual.

On May 10, she had a CT scan and the scan revealed a tumor in her left nasal cavity had developed and was starting to go into the bone that separates the nasal cavity and her brain. It was making its way towards her right cavity.

We were devastated. You all know the prognosis if left untreated. We wanted to do what we could to give her the best quality of life for as long as possible.

Our oncologist recommended conventional radiation therapy that would have required 23 treatments. This would have been a definitive treatment as opposed to palliative. Ugh, there was no way we wanted to put her through that. Plus the acute and long-term side effects were not very encouraging.

Doing some research online, we came across the Cyberknife radio surgery procedure in Yonkers NY. Here's the link that led us on the path to CK:
Nasal Tumors – What You Need to Know About Your Dog’s Cancer | Dog Cancer TV

and the link for CK:
http://www.dogcancer.tv/cyberknife-u...ge-technology/

We live in MA and it was only a 3 hour drive so we set up a consultation meeting with Dr. Susan Ettinger at the Animal Specialty Center. You can find information about her at Who Is Dr. Sue?Dr. Sue Ettinger – Official Website

Another CT scan and MRI were done at ASC and it was determined that Kia was a good candidate for the CK procedure. Hooray!

The CK treatment would only require 3 treatments (1 a day for 3 days) and not have any of the scary side effects of the conventional radiation therapy.

Kia's CK treatment was done on May 30, 31, and June 1 and so far she is doing great. The treatments were done on an outpatient basis. Each day I dropped her off in the morning and checked her out early afternoon. For the time we were down there, we stayed at a Residence Inn Marriott that is very close by (you could almost walk to the ASC) and they are pet friendly. She handled each treatment well - it didn't seem to phase her at all and by day 3 she knew the drill.

Prior to the CK therapy, she had the occasional nasal discharge and sneezing. Now it's been almost a week and so far there is no discharge at all and I've seen her sneeze maybe 2 times since. So hopefully this is a good sign of things to come. Dr. Ettinger mentioned that the tumor will take some time to react to the CK treatment and that it won't shrink immediately.

For those of you going through the agony and desperation of dealing with a dog with a nasal tumor, take a look at the CK procedure. If you have access to it and can afford it - it's not cheap, the total CK cost was around $8500 which included the CT scan and MRI, it is definitely worth it. We were quoted $5000 for the conventional radiation therapy, so for only a few thousand more, it was a no-brainer. I believe there are only a few other places in the country that do this in the US (Colorado State and I think there's one or two places in California). Here's a link to the ASC site in Yonkers, NY:
http://www.vcaspecialtyvets.com/anim...ation-oncology

So far Kia is doing great (knock on wood!) and we will continue to monitor her. Dr. Ettinger recommended another CT scan in about 6 months, but if Kia is doing good, we may not need to scan at all.

Dr. Ettinger and the staff at ASC were a joy to work with and we can't thank them enough for Kia's treatment.

Last edited by Kiapet; 06-07-2012 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,908 times
Reputation: 10
I stumbled upon this forum and am sick to my stomach and close to tears reading these stories. I'm so worried about my lab mix that I can't think about anything else. Rylee is 1.5 years old and, about a month ago, she started getting sneezy, stuffy (yellowish mucus from her left nostril and clear from the right) and having labored breathing, especially at night. She also snorts sometimes, particularly in the morning when her nose is the most stuffy. Also, her eyes, particularly the left, is often red. She's been eating, drinking and playing the same as normal.

We thought it was a cold that would go away, but when it was the same 2 weeks later, we took her to the vet. He thought it was an upper respiratory infection and prescribed antibiotics. A week later it was still the same, so he put her on a different antibiotic (baytril), which she just finished. The antibiotics seem to help with some of the yellow mucus, but she's still sneezing, snorting and stuffy. The mucus in her left nostril hardens during the day and makes it harder for her to breathe, so I try to delicately remove it. Also, I believe I feel a little lump on the side of her left nostril, which is the stuffy one, although I could be imagining it. She hasn't had any bleeding out of her nose.

We are at a total loss and made an appt with our vet for an xray next week as a next step. The symptoms sound similar to many I've read on this board and it makes me so nervous that i have a pit in my stomach. The vet suggested it could be a chronic infection, tumor or just something lodged in her nose. We live in Hawaii and Rylee is always playing on the beach and with other dogs, so maybe something got up there, but wouldn't it have come out after a month?

Does anyone have a similar experience? She seems so young for cancer, but I know it's very possible. I really hope we get the best news possible following the xray. Please send good vibes Rylee's way. Thank you and aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top