U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2020, 12:27 PM

45 posts, read 87,790 times

Advertisements

Hi JoWi,
I am so sorry you are facing nasal cancer with your precious dog. It is a hard road to travel. My Scottie Ozzie had this awful cancer. Like your dog, he had very short legs and would smack his face on the floor during sneezing fits. The worst was outside on pavement during a walk. Ozzie stayed close to me so he typically could only get one big sneeze in before I could get to him and cradle his head or put my hand under his nose and absorb part of the force. I did notice that Ozzie did adapt to the sneezing after a time. He would crouch when he sneezed and tilt his head slightly upward so the head slam would be located more at the bottom of his chin not his nose and his front paws also helped cushion the blow. I kept pillows and folded towels/blankets in his favorite areas too and that helped some. Make sure they are washable and bleachable. I hope the yunan baiyao is helpful. I think it helped Ozzie. All my best. I hope for many happy, comfortable days ahead.

Sandra (Ozzie’s mom)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 780 times
Thank you for your kind words! Our little guy has eased up on the sneezing since the nosebleed stopped. Of course he still sneezes, but not as often or as forcefully. Unfortunately, his general health is deteriorating, and he seems to have taken a downward turn the past couple of weeks. He still eats, but is fussy about it, and has almost constant GI problems. The vet is helping us with that, but we can’t seem to get a handle on it. His liver is not good, and that may have a lot to do with it. His mobility is also decreasing. He can still walk and get up from lying down, but standing still is hard as his legs are weak and he loses his balance. I can also tell his breathing is becoming more obstructed as the tumor grows into the other side of his nose. I believe he can still breathe some through one nostril, but things are narrowing. There is a spot on the tip of his nose where the skin looks like it is dry and peeling; I am not sure if this is from the cancer (can it spread through from the inside out like that?), from constantly hitting as scraping his nose when sneezing, or from licking it frequently. He is still himself at times (mostly at dinner time when he hopes for scraps), but his good days are getting fewer and farther between, and he is no longer enjoying things like he once did. We are hoping to have one last Christmas with him, but sometimes that seems like a stretch. After that, it is probably time to let him go. My heart will break into a million pieces, but he has given us a good life in his 15.5 years, and we owe it to him to bring him to a peaceful and good end. He has been a good dog, has lived longer than we ever imagined, and was given more time than most dogs get. I really can’t ask any more from him.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:44 PM

5,807 posts, read 9,433,387 times
Default Our Sheltie Chase just diagnosed with nasal cancer

I have followed this forum for years as we have Madison (Sheltie, age 15), Chase (Sheltie, age 8) and Laddie (Collie, age 6).

Years ago, our Murphy (a large Sheltie) had liver cancer. He made the decision for us and we used Lap of Love to come to our home. It helped Madison (only 6 at the time) heal.

Then, we looked for another Sheltie. That was our Chase. On October 28th, we found blood in our house.
First, we didn't know which one but it was Chase. Many vet visits and they gave medicine which cleared him up and he seemed fine and happy.

Well, every 4 weeks, it would happen again. I finally begged the vet to search further and they referred us for a CAT scan. It came back today that he has nasal cancer. It does not appear to be in the sinus but in the nose cavity.

So, we need to go to a vet oncologist.

He seems happy and I have read this post a few times in the past and today, I got up to page 50 with many tears.

I know this thread started in 2008; are there new things on the market that help?

Old 12-13-2020, 08:40 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,210,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
. . .
I know this thread started in 2008; are there new things on the market that help?
I think you will get more replies if you start a new thread - your own thread. There may well be new developments, or options. I don't know. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:03 PM

5,807 posts, read 9,433,387 times
Smile OK - thank you

This is a very good thread though (just long now)

By the time I got to page 8, I was crying.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 780 times
I am so sorry to hear about Chase, Bette. Our little old guy - Wrigley - was diagnosed this past summer. I can tell you that the primary treatment for this cancer is radiation. We opted not to do that since he was (is) 15 years old, and also has early stage heart disease and liver problems. Anesthesia is a risk for him, and we didn’t want to put him through the stress at his age. If he had been younger like Chase, we would have seriously considered it. Other than that, we were offered two drugs -Piroxicam, which is an NSAID with the added off-label benefit of having some anti-cancer properties in some sorts of canine cancer, including types of nasal cancers. (Wrigley’s biopsy was inconclusive so we don’t know what exact type he has, but I imagine it is the most common one, adenocarcinoma.) The other drug was Palladia. This is more of a chemotherapy (though not exactly), and it is often used in conjunction with other things. It is excreted in urine, which can pose risks to other pets or anyone who comes in contact with it. You are supposed to wear gloves while handling the pills, etc. We have another dog and children, and were therefore a little nervous about it. As it turned out, Wrigley’s liver issues ruled out the Palladia. So we started him on piroxicam only. He has done very well on it; his life expectancy at diagnosis was about 3 months. It’s now been about six months. He didn’t seem to have any disease progression or any issues at all until about the middle of November, when he had a bad nosebleed. He got through the bleed alright, but then started having GI issues, which took a couple of weeks to get on top of. He is now better in that department, but things have turned a corner for us. His mobility is diminishing (age-related more than the cancer, I think), and his breathing is getting more difficult as the cancer has spread to the other side of his nose. We hope to have him one last Christmas, and from then on it will be one day at a time until he tells us he is ready to go. He still eats and drinks alright (though I have to cook for him now), is enthusiastic about dinner, engages with what is going on (when he is awake), and can walk. His back legs are weak and he sways when he has to stand still. Has trouble getting his footing in the morning or anytime he has been laying for a while. We carry him down steps. But he is still himself. I am sure there is some discomfort, but he doesn’t seem to be in pain. He sleeps okay, though he snores now, and does wake up now and then to snort and snuffle (he sounds like someone who has too much mucus and can’t clear it, which may very well be the case). We have had very little bleeding, thanks be to God. I love him so much and am doing my best to care for him. The breathing will likely be the decisive thing.

Try to be the best advocate you can be for Chase. You know him better than anyone, and what his limits and preferences would be. He is young enough that he will probably do well on whatever treatment you decide to use. Don’t be scared by the timeframes; most dogs seem to live longer than what the stats say. Even our little old man has lived six months - most of it symptom-free - and that is on palliative care only. At 15, six months is a real gift, cancer or not. Take it a day at a time and try not to get ahead of yourself. It is hard to do, especially in the beginning with the shock of it all (and again at the end), but you very likely have many good days with Chase ahead of you. Enjoy him and use you love for him as your guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs