U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2009, 02:26 PM

5,503 posts, read 13,727,172 times
In my prayers, too, Jan.

W.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 05:45 PM

104 posts, read 286,071 times
Default jan...

we have all experienced good periods and bad periods with our pups - panting at night, looking for cooler places to sleep followed by days of comfort. i hope for you that this is still the continuing cycle and that your boy is not ready to go anywhere yet.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM

125 posts, read 243,535 times
I have read this thread with great sadness, and sympathy to all who have endured this awful disease. I lost my bichon, Oscar, almost 2 years ago to nasal cancer. he was diagnosed after several tests and we had to help him cross the bridge as the tumor got worse. I will always miss my handsome little guy. I also posted about him on the rainbow bridge forum. I had 13 wonderful years with my little buddy

Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM

3,503 posts, read 4,858,841 times
Dash and I thank you for your thoughts and prayers. He has had two days of neoplasene down his nose and will get a 3rd dose this afternoon. The good news is the bump has not grown any more and maybe a tad smaller. The bad news it is still there and I did talk to Dr. Ayl this afternoon and he feels it is probably the cancer taking the path of least resistance and that is to grow outward. He said we could try more radiation to see if we can halt it awhile longer. I told him I would have to think about that as I have had the good months that I wanted when I opted for palliative care last year and Dash is at a point where he hates going to the vets for anything. I really do not feel it would be fair to him to ask him to endure any more radiation because I hate saying good bye.

I think I will continue to do the neoplasene on an increased frequency for 3 more doses then start backing it off to less frequent and keep him on his metronomic therapy and see if the two help slow it. He seems to be feeling ok so that is the important thing here. He will be spoiled and loved as long as he is enjoying life. When the day comes that comfort is no longer possible I will release him to go eat Grandma's pancakes with her and his buddies that are already with her.

Here are some photos of the swelling. Keep the prayers coming and maybe my boy will do Ok for awhile longer. Thanks, Jan

Old 02-27-2009, 03:43 PM

Jan,

It hurts to look at those photos, because I've actually really gotten attached to Dash via you and this thread. I'm glad to hear that you are spoiling him rotten. - W.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 PM

125 posts, read 243,535 times
Dash- I am new here and just posted above about my Oscar. I am praying for you and your buddy. He is quite the handsome guy.

My Oscar had a similar swelling, it was much closer to his eye tho. it seemed to come on very quickly too. it almost looked like he was stung by a bee, but we knew it was related to the tumor. I have a couple photos of him with the swollen eye- taken the day before he passed. I had a feeling his time was coming so I wanted more photos. but now it is painful for me to look at them. I prefer to see him happy and healthy.

I have read this whole thread and followed the brave story of your Dash,( and all the others too) who seems like such a fighter. I hope that continues. sadly for my Oscar his illness was diagnosed late and progressed quickly. not much could be done at his age. I spoiled him rotten ( all the pupperoni he could eat) until the day I could tell life was no fun for him anymore. the day his pain ended, and mine began.

here he is begging for snacks- he scratched grooves into the cabinet. wish I could hear that sound again...

Old 02-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarmom View Post
......the day his pain ended, and mine began.

here he is begging for snacks- he scratched grooves into the cabinet. wish I could hear that sound again...
I hear you on that note. I still hurt every day over the loss of my dog. The day she passed was the hardest day of my life. Today I looked out the kitchen window at the path she used to run up from the field. I imagined her little brown body racing up there trying to catch up to me. When the ground thaws, i plan to bury her along that path. I am paying to have her body kept frozen till spring when I will see her one more time.

Relish every moment you have left, Jan. Time is so precious...

Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 AM

106 posts, read 213,185 times
Jan, Dash is beautiful! You guys are in my prayers. There's more I want to say but I don't know how. This thread is really hard to come back to still. Dash's nose looks a lot like Coco's did when we first noticed something was up. Coco had a swelling also, but more down towards his upper teeth on the left side.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 49,335 times
Jan, I am sorry that Dash has that swelling..I wish it does not hurt Dash and your effort would work so the not-wellcomed visitor would fly away soon.

Please forgive me my too simple suggestion.

How about to try High-Protein and No-Carbohydrate diet with Budwig diet again for several weeks beside the medicine treatments.

My simple thought is based on the fact that Cancer cell is nurtured mostly by Carbohydrate.

Since Bear had diagnosed as Nasal Cancer last November and having one month of heavy nasal discharge followed by 2 times of quite heavy bleeding in Dec 30 and 31 all I did for Bear was High-Protein and vegetable diet with Budwig-Diet started on Dec.27, 2008 because I decided not to go for any external treatment because of Bear's physical condition and some of financial reason.

It's been 2 month and nasal discharge was reduced by 90 % on Jan. 5, 2009 according to my record and it is gone now completely and no bleeding, of course.
The tumor which was visible in his left nostril was no more there.

I added some other foods such as Shellfish broth and Shrimp with Leeks(vegetable) which are generally used in Oriental Medical Science to reduce the burden of High-Protein diet against Liver.

Bear is doing and sleeping very well so far.
I am not going to check with VET if the Cancer is gone or not, rather I and Bear are enjoing our life day by day.

身土不二 "Body and Earth are not two different thing"
It's a Korean Proverb which means that If we take proper foods provided by mother Earth, our Health shall be Ok since the elements of Body and Earth are same.
This is also one of the basic principles of the Oriental Medical Science.

I am praying for you and Dash with tears.
I don't know why these Four-legged buddies alway make me cry.
Maybe because their pure,loving, faithful eyes.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:58 PM

129 posts, read 285,081 times
Jan and Dash, you have been in our thoughts often since we read your post. We will continue to think positive thoughts and appreciate your posts.

Chol, could you explain how you make and how often you use the cottage cheese/flaxseed mixture? Do you make it and give it once a day? How much? Do you grind your own flaxseeds? I'd like to try it and have looked online quite a bit but would like to hear specifically what you are doing for Bear. Many thanks,
Erica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs