U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 PM

55 posts, read 166,379 times

Advertisements

Well, I brought him in from the back yard. Stopped bleeding for awhile. Put ice packs on his nose. Within one hour bang started again. Was laying quietly. Gave him sedative. Mind you it squirts out. Small long squirt. It can't be an artery or it would not stop. Needless to say I have to bring him back to the vet. He will really get upset at this...This is really starting to weight on me..It seems I am stuck.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 01:34 AM

4,922 posts, read 11,226,013 times
Rod,

Sorry you are having so much trouble with Hogan's bleeding. I think he has bled more then Dash has. Dash has only had a couple heavy nose bleeds but he does sneeze blood out at times but as the sneeze is over so is the bleeding. These past few months his bleeding has been related to the neoplasene and starts right before he has a big" blow out" of tissue then continues off and on and not heavy for about 24hrs. Wish the vets could get to the bottom of Hogans bleeding for you.

Oscars mom I love the tree you planted for Oscar . What a beautiful way to remember your sweet boy! There is a behavior guy that does a talk show out of San Diego and I remember him saying they always plant a tree or bush for an animal after it dies so when he walks around his yard he has lots of memories planted in it.

Dash just got his neoplasene and he sneezed out some blood along with the neoplasene and I just found him under the covers on my bed rolling around itching his bloody nose.Payback for the neoplasene! He has been having violent sneezes the past couple days that with the itchy nose usually means a big blow out is coming so maybe the blood tonight means the tissue is about ready to let go and be sneezed out. I have my fingers crossed as I am thinking this current swelling might be too high up for the neoplasene to reach but maybe I am wrong. He had a ball at the park with his buddies today which always makes me happy to see.

Hope Emmit, Tillie, Scout, Bear, Sunny and all the others are having a good week. Hope Hogan has a day without more bleeding as it sound like both he and Rod could use a break. Jan

Old 04-03-2009, 06:33 AM

129 posts, read 454,594 times
Rod,
I have company and don't have much time, but I wanted to mention the idea of having Hogan's carotid artery tied off to control the bleeding. I know it sounds horrible, but my onocologist said it's an option to control the bleeding. Dogs circulatory systems aren't like ours, so it's okay to do. I can't imagine having to think about options like these without a diagnosis, but I thought you should know that the option is out there. Might be something to ask your doctor about at some point...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanx guys for responding. I am really going crazy over here. Was up till 3 am with hoagan. I called my vet this morning. She started Hoag on prednisone. She says she really never saw this type of reaction with the workup hoag has had. I am now having to keep hoag isolated, as my bedroom is really taken a hit. Stools have gotten alittle black. I myself am getting chest pain. Vet also gave me more sedatives to try and keep hoag quiet...If the prednisone does not stop the bleeding, I cannot let this continue...And that my friends as we all know is a real raw deal..

Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,973,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogansfriend View Post
Thanx guys for responding. I am really going crazy over here. Was up till 3 am with hoagan. I called my vet this morning. She started Hoag on prednisone. She says she really never saw this type of reaction with the workup hoag has had. I am now having to keep hoag isolated, as my bedroom is really taken a hit. Stools have gotten alittle black. I myself am getting chest pain. Vet also gave me more sedatives to try and keep hoag quiet...If the prednisone does not stop the bleeding, I cannot let this continue...And that my friends as we all know is a real raw deal..
Hogansfriend,

The prednisone may take a little while to work, but it may stop the bleeding. But on the other end, it increases thirst and urination and your carpets may take a hit. This is what happened with us.

W.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Question...Has anybody ever had a dog that had a cut in the nose that could not heal and squirted blood on and off..??

Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM

137 posts, read 378,379 times
I am so sorry you and Hogan are having such a rough time. I well remember those nosebleeds and how distressing they were, altho Oscar seemed to take it all in stride. He was a trooper for a little guy, until his last day when I saw the pain in his eyes.

Hogan is so lucky to have you- as are the other dog moms and dads here. He knows that you would do anything for him, and beyond

May I ask what kind of dog Hogan is? I don't recall reading that, altho you may have said.

someone sent me this poem when Oscar was so ill and I was running myself ragged taking care of him, worrying, etc. and wishing I could do even more for him. it made me feel better, to know that I did all I could. even my vet said " you took Oscar as far as he could go". this truly applies to you and Hogan too, and all facing this awful illness. Hogan could have no better owner, best friend, caretaker.

Why?
That's what we ask,
The truth is,
we may never
be able to know
for sure why.

But we do know
that there is no single
"should have done"
or "could have done"
or "did" or "didn't do"
that would have
changed that why.

All that love could do, was done.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM

98 posts, read 143,047 times
Hogansfriend - Have they done a rhinoscopy to see what might be causing this bleeding? He could have breathed something in from outside, and it needs to be removed. While on the prenisone, put down some piddle pads - it might help. And remember to keep those ice packs on his nose.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Hey Guys,

Oscarmom,
Hogan is 108 German shepherd. In my younger days I could has gotten him to the vets with a struggle if need be. Today if he is ill, it's hard. I have had to isolate him now to a small sunroom that leads to the back yard. It's hard cause he's used to sleeping in our bedroom. Even red blankets had their limits to protect the room. What's that saying about not having enough sense to come in out of the rain. It's raining pretty good where I live in CT. My bright GSD was outside barking. Glad to see the sedatives working@Q%$@%$@#...

Meezermom, No rhinoscopy yet. When he had his $1000 vet vist asked them to scope his noise. Like an idiot when they said ok, I thought that was the rhino...Well it was just a long something or other that went about a 1/3 up his nose. Better then nothing, but not the end all be all...I would have to take him to a special vet. Hogan not to happy right now about being in the sun room. Barking..He sounds kinda pissed off...I am also using a cort spray in addtion to the prednisone..

Ok folks keep those cards an letter coming, they really do help, as you all know...Monday I let the vet know if the meds helped. If not...I'd rather not go there now..

ROD

Old 04-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Jen,
All three vets have never seen this type of bleeding. Yes, there are dogs that, I hate this term, that bleed out but note too often. And Hoag is not bleeding out, at least not yet. He sprays or squirts when he starts. I have gotten blood in my hair, glass's etc. It would be like a vein breaks but fairly close to the front of the nose. Now don't get me wrong here, it's not like you opened a 10 inch pipe. This is like a water pistol squirt. But enough squirts and it adds up. I am dealing with carpets here. Ok, I'm done explaing, venting...

I hope Dash or any other dogs don't go through this. However, after reading this thread I see alot of friends here that are going throught there own hell...May we all remember not to be too selfish. This is a very personal journey and we usually get it right...

Rod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs