U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 PM

1,478 posts, read 7,417,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Here's to Tillie and Dash, Nasal cancer survivors
I completely agree!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:30 AM

104 posts, read 436,815 times
tillie ran under the chair when dr ayl came in the office today but he won her back, sort of, by gently cleaning her eyes. she seemed good to him and only at the end of our meeting did she sneeze up some mucus so he could see that it was the color of a likely infection. so she is now on clamavox to go with the piroxicam and eyedrops. i did not opt for cytoxan, the chemo drug, as dr ayl was not really pushing it. did you get it for dash or are you just sticking with the piroxicam for antiangiogenic purposes?

glad to hear that his sneezing and drippings are down. same for tillie although we look forward to less and less as time goes by. can only keep our fingers crossed for all these pups. btw, mentioned you and dash to dr ayl today - he's very excited to see how both dogs do with the IMRT especially since tillie has been radiated once. he expects them both to do very well, especially your guy! i am glad to have him weeks ahead of tillie to chart his progress. thanks.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:56 AM

4,922 posts, read 11,231,722 times
Poor Dr. Ayl he is such a nice guy yet his actual patients ( the dogs) all want to hide from him instead of being thankful that he has given them more time. Oh to be snubbed by your "special projects"

I did opt to add the cytoxan to the piroxicam as part of Dash's antiangiogenic protocol. I had said I will not do chemo but I am willing to try this as this is considered to be a metronomic therapy rather then outright chemo.

Chemo involves large doses of the toxic drug given at once once a week or more or less frequent doses depending on the drug. To me that is like throwing a bomb in your house then waiting to see what remains. ( of both healthy cells and cancer cells) Usually the toll is alot of healthy cells destroyed and few cancer cells

With the metronomic therapy it is a very small dose of the cytoxan given every other day so is more like a snyper going in to shoot the bad guys. If I recall Dr. Ayl said he uses the small dose of cytoxan as an alkalizing agent
with the piroxicam so it is more of an antiangiogenic approach then a true chemo approach if I understand it correctly.

Dash has always had a cast iron gut as he has eaten things that would make a normal dog vomit or at least have bad diarrhea but he gets neither: like a whole cake he stole off the counter at my parent's house on thanksgiving when everyone went outside for awhile! He started counter surfing and stealing when he was put on the perscription food due to calcium oxalate stones. He has never had any bad side effects to antibiotics while Jazz gets major diarrhea with most of them. I am thinking he will do well with the cytoxan since it is a small dose and if not then we stop it. My only worry is it could irritate his bladder so I have to make sure he drinks alot to keep that bladder flushed which I try to do to prevent the stones too.

There is a 3rd drug that we could add later on it is a drug for diabetics and is on the expensive side according to Dr. Ayl so we will wait and see about that one.So for now we will try this approach as long as he tolerates it ok.

The hard part was finding the 25mg cytoxan pills as the pharmacies I called either have never carried it or said it has been discontinued. Costo has the generic so we are going with that. It is $25.00 for the months supply so not bad.Costso probably has the best prices anyway.

Sneezing is way down now as is the drainage. Now that he is feeling better Jazz is back to keeping him out of the bedroom at night if he leaves he is not allowed back in! She is the queen and he has always listened to her She is back to pushing him around which I take as a good sign as she had stopped doing that back when he started having problems.

I hope Tillie improves with the clavamox. Keep me posted.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 PM

Default tillie's 10th birthday party

ok, we had one. saturday. a pool party. 16 adults and 14 dogs, only 3 swimmers, one a tiny jack russell terrier who refused to find the steps. kept bumping into the side of the pool to be swept up by the nearest human.

tillie is doing great - frisky, energetic, nose still dripping some but not nearly too much. everyday she's with us is a joy. hope dash is doing well, too.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 AM

Dash says What Tillie had a birthday pool party and did not invite me? Dash loves to swim in pools and always jumps in at my dad's house.especially right before we leave so I have to drive home with a wet dog

Happy birthday Tillie! I am glad to know she is doing great and enjoying herself.Dash is doing great too and has started his low dose cytoxan with out any problems yet so hopefully it continues this way.

I won a couple things at the raffle our club had at our flyball tournament his past weekend and Jazz thinks every thing in them is hers and would not let Dash near them. She is back to bossing him around so she must know he is feeling great too.

Lets hope we both have many many more days of dogs feeling great!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:01 PM

75 posts, read 354,831 times
Several years ago the dog training club I belong to had a vet come to one of our meetings and give a short talk on cancer treatment. Although he was not an oncologist he did a lot of work with dogs with cancer. He said that they were working on a chlorophyll based treatment, especially with Boxers & nasal cancer.. It was injected into the dog and allowed to circulate for a few days. It collected in the tumor. Then they put a green laser up the nostril and zapped the tumor. It destroyed the tumor. You might ask your vet about this.
Go to the website for Science Daily, www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/02/980209043436.htm
This is an article on the subject.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 PM

Default over a month later

tillie is doing great. energy is good, sneezing is down, hardly any stuff coming out of her nose. if only this could last forever. how's dash?

Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 AM

Glad to hear that Tillie is doing good. Dash is doing great. He seems to have no problems with the low dose cytoxin every other day or his piroxicam everyday. He does not do much sneezing right now thou last week he did start sneezing with yellow discharge so I had my regular vet give me some clavamox and it is cleared up.

He just had his blood test and my vet was concerned as his Calcium is still elevated it is 12.3. Last test my vet did ( 2months ago) it was 11.9 so he was thinking we should do an inonized calcium level and a parathyroid test as he said it could be a parathyroid problem or cancer some place else. But he said to see what Dr. Ayl thought. Well VMSG did last months blood work as we had a recheck with Dr. Ayl and the calcium was 12.6 so this months is actually down though that could just be variation from the different labs. Dr. Ayl feels for now we just keep an eye on it as it is probably related to the nasal cancer and it has not gone up this past month which is good.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Default How is Tillie?

Tallmomma,

How is Tillie doing? I was thinking about her today as I watched the dogs cleaning up the blood. Dash had a nose bleed this morning all started by a big sneeze when he first got up. He doesn't sneeze alot so this has not been a problem,Thank God. I iced his nose and did give him some benedryl to stop the sneezes and it worked but he did get blood all over so he and Jazz were busy cleaning it up!

He is spending more time off by himself now which considering how he has always been my velcro dog is a change. Other then that he seems to be doing ok and tolerating his piroxicam and cytoxan well. His breathing is very quiet and he sleeps well,eats well and loves his walks.

I hope Tillie is doing well and that you both enjoy the holiday weekend.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 AM

tillie is doing very well, thanks, just a bunch of fleas as summer progresses. a bath and some frontline should cure that. I'm glad that benedry helped dash's sneezing. allergies are an issue too but as long as the cancer stays away anything is good.

thanks for writing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs