U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 AM

15 posts, read 50,949 times

Advertisements

Hi... Dash, Scout and everybody..

I did not visit here for several months since it was too hard to see you guys were still suffering while Bear had been completely set free from that since last April.
Bear is becoming 14 and he is very nomal, though apparently getting old.
We have 1 & 1/2 hours of 'go-out to the park' spending precious time together almost everyday.
I really wish you guys are getting better like Bear and having great time with your
loving Mom and Dad.

This song is for you and ones who share special times together.

Chol.

YouTube - Mamselle
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,135,864 times
Chol, I am so glad you posted and so very happy that Bear is doing so well. I think of you and him often as the statue of Dash you made is where I see it everyday. I can not look at it with out wondering how you and Bear are doing. Thanks for the music clip as it is beautiful. When My mom was in her last days of life I played alot of Jim Brickman music as it was so soothing .

Dash is still with me as I brought him down to my dad's to say good bye. I will be talking to the holistic vet on Wed or so I hope as she will be back in town then. She is closer to my dad's house then mine so I am hoping she can take a look at him.

I just gave Dash a bath as he was stinking so bad from the infectious stuff oozing out and draining all over his chest and front legs. I think even he feels better after a bath as he stepped out of the tub with a good butt wiggle.

The wound is pretty much opened up and most of the tissue has fallen out so now he has a crater like wound on his face. It does not bleed much and he does not seem to be in much pain as he lets me touch it and never even growls usually dogs get aggressive with pain.He is on narcotics for pain and his perixocam too.So if there is pain I think I have it covered with the meds.

My fear now is even if this is from the neoplasene and the tumor is dead would a crater wound like this ever heal and since I can not cover it how does one keep flies out of it? The smell isn't as bad as I think the antibiotics are wiping out the infection that was in there. Right now I have him resting in an indoor crate full of old blankets so the flies can't bother him . He wants to be outdoors but the flies get him...ugh!

If the holistic vet feels this is the stopping point I am at peace with that and will put him down but I just wanted her opinion.This is sort of what neoplasene does and since his tumor was deep it could not just break open like a surface tumor could so may have taken awhile to get to the surface. I just have a nagging feeling that it may be that but I am aware
that could all be wishful thinking too and that this wound left behind may be impossible to get it to heal.

I keep it clean with willards water which should also help it heal. I used it in such a way years ago when I tripped on a road as my dogs on leash took off in opposite direcstions as an off leash dog rushed them. I fell face first and got a huge gash from the corner of my eye down my cheek. I was soaked in blood and when I got home I washed it with willards water and made steri strips out of medical tape and pulled the gash together with them. That night all the doctors I saw at work said Oh that needs stitches or you will be left with a huge scar. I just kept washing it with WW and making my steri strips and it healed fast and left no ugly scar. People were amazed. A side note the owner of the off leash dog did not even come over to see if I was OK and by the time I got up I was already soaked in blood as it was gushing so I used a spare plastic bag to hold pressue on it and walked home. I was amazed at how heartless that man must be as it was his off leash dog in an area that dogs are to be leashed rushing us after I had asked him to call his dog that caused the whole thing.

Ayway that is where things stand with Dash.People that have seen him at the park or at home agree that he is not in pain and most feel I owe it to him to talk with the holistic vet before I make the decision to put him down so it is not just me. Dash has been a tough guy and I think everyone hates thinking the battle may be over. Jan

Old 09-14-2009, 02:46 PM

12,493 posts, read 12,722,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Ayway that is where things stand with Dash.People that have seen him at the park or at home agree that he is not in pain and most feel I owe it to him to talk with the holistic vet before I make the decision to put him down so it is not just me. Dash has been a tough guy and I think everyone hates thinking the battle may be over. Jan
Oh Jan -- if my heart is heavy reading this, yours must weigh a ton. I hate that you and Dash are going through this, but I'm glad to hear that you'll talk with the holistic vet and, if need be... (I can't even type it) ... if you think it's time.

But, please, if that's the case... another cheeseburger, shared fries and shake for Dash. OK?

Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 PM

129 posts, read 296,287 times
Jan, I hope you and Dash are hanging in there and having a nice visit with your father. I was also happy to hear that Bear is doing well--I've been wondering how he's been.

Scout has had a drippy/bloody nose the last few days, which is really gross and messy. We've decided to move forth with palliative radiation and are now shopping around for the best treatment plan and price. We're lucky enough to have three good options within 2 hours of home, including one with IMRT capability. I had a wonderful chat with our oncologist who has since left the area, and she really helped me to understand the difference and benefits of IMRT. The big thing is finding a facility that is comfortable using it and able to manage the direction of the radiation. I'm not sure if Tufts can do that, but we'll find out soon. Tradiational radiation is also an option for us since Scout is so far from his original treatment. I'm just as confident now that this is the correct next step for us as I was 2 years ago when I said I wouldn't treat it once it recurred following defnitive radiation! How our opinions change!

I'll be thinking about your and yours while we visit with oncologists in search of Scout's next best treatment. I've learned so much about what to look and ask for from all of you and am incredibly thankful.

Erica

Old 09-16-2009, 07:20 PM

104 posts, read 293,778 times
tillie had palliative IMRT 18 months or so after the full 20 day course (which came after surgery!) it's been 14 months since the IMRT and she is still kicking around. i know you are making the right decision for scout. good luck.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:42 PM

129 posts, read 296,287 times
thanks for the information about tillie. i actually used her as an example when talking to my oncologist today. she said that because palliative radiation uses higher doses (not the correct term but easiest to understand) than definitive, it often works better in these tumors because the tumors respond better to it. I found that interesting. Scout had a combination of definitive and palliative with her originally because of this. She also said that while some facilities have the capability to do IMRT, they are often not doing it because imaging of some sort is also needed to verify that the very focused rays are making it to the tumor site (and not surrounding tissue). I'll find out on Friday at our appointment if Tufts will do it.

If anyone out there is looking for a radiation oncologist in the southeastern US, I know a wonderful one!

I'll update on Friday after our appointment.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:08 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,135,864 times
Erica,

Good luck and I do hope they offer IMRT but you are right it would also require a CT so they can develop a plan as to exactly where the beams are to focus. They do not shave or mark the area they instead make a little head mask that gets screwed down with the dogs head in it each time he gets a treatment so the beam hits that exact spot, They can do histograms ( I think that was what they were called ) and tell by them what the radiation hit...it is very " star wars" like. Looking at how well Tille has done and continues to do it would be great to add that much time for Scout and with no real side efffects at that. Good Luck on Friday.

Dash is hanging in there and I am still waiting to hear from the holistic vet as I called again today. I guess yesterday was a crazy insane day for her.
He enjoyed his visit at my dad's and before we left was outside laying with his feet over the edge of the pool just looking at it. He use to always swim in the pool but after he developed the cancer and became more of a mouth breather he gave that and ocean swimming up like he understood he would not be able to breathe. It was rather sad to see him as it hit me that may be the last time he sees " his" pool. On the drive home he took his navigator spot bewteen the two front seats leaning on my right shoulder which I had covered with a towel so draining goo did not get on me . I had given him his tramadol before we left so at first he kept drifting off to sleep as I would feel him relax and lean forward then catch himself and wake up. In the darknes of the car ( it was after 8PM) you could not see his wound and would have assumed he was just a normal dog..sigh! He is bothering me right now aas he wants to see what I will be offering for breakfast so I had better go.

I will be thinking of Scout on Friday.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 56,347 times
Default Nasal Cancer/Ziggy

Hi, I started reading all the posts from April 2008, but there were too m.any,so I just skipped ahead to the present and I see that Dashdog has been posting all along. So you and puppy are still hanging in. I had been posting on the prednesone posts, where there are less folks. I guess I should have been posting on the nasal cancer thread because that is what is going on with my half dobie/half rottweiler...13 and one half.
He got the original facial mast tumor over three years ago. No one made a big deal about it and I let it go. Now he is 6 months into a downward spiral, beginning with occasionall nose bleeds and constant nose licking.
He had a horrible episode two months ago and bled profusely for three days. He was horribly anemic and almost died. but the bleed stopped on its own on day 4. Then he went into vomiting and unable to stand...I thought..maybe this is it for him...I asked the vet, what can I do. I had to ask her to give me prednesone..He got high dose prednesone and I gave sub-q fluids for two days. He perked up. Now is is walking, light but constant watery nose bleeds..and on low dose prednesone. I know he is going downhill, but it is impossible to go further such as MRI's or radiation both financially and in terms of living in a rural place.
so, I just wanted to get in on this discussion and maybe listen to comments from those in similar positions....

Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 PM

You have probably dealt with these issues by now since this post is early sept. But here are two things i have learned. The bad breath does not necessarily indicate infection. I was told it is due to their licking of blood and it kind of goes rotten in their mouth. Likewise with the lack of appetite. if they swallow enough blood instead of sneezing it out, it will nauseate them..just as it would with a human. i did not realize that a month ago when ziggy had a hugh vomit...it came on the heels of three days of severe nose bleeding..

Old 09-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
We've made the decision to have the vet come today (on our anniversary of all days) because Ginger spent the entire night choking and gagging on either tumor or blood, but most probably tumor as the bleeding has slowed a lot. She can't breathe out of her nose anymore in any position and gags and retches while breathing from her mouth. After his shift on the floor, at 6am my husband (who has not been ready) told me that he thought it was time. We both know in our hearts that she's not going to get any better and to ask more of this for her would not be right so today she is going to get a nice breakfast, a drive, a long walk, an ice cream cone and a last romp in the yard with her sister, then relief from this terrible disease. We are both devastated. Everyone hopes to be the exception rather than the rule, but it's not in the cards for our beautiful girl.

God bless all of you people here trying to help others through this nightmare and those that are fighting the good fight. I'm convinced we got a month or more from Ginger just getting the good advice here. I'm sure I'll post later. Thanks for being here.

Cathy aka Ginger's mom
Sorry, it ended for you. I didn't realize when I just posted the response to the bad breath issue.
best o luck to you and your husband
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs