Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 10:28 AM

589 posts, read 1,347,525 times

Advertisements

My 8 year old dog (akita/elkhound mix) has had a significant increase in appetite over the past 4-6 months. She wants breakfast, 2nd breakfast, snacks, munches, dinner, late night snacks, etc. Not that I give her that much food!

She typically gets about 1 cup of dry food in the morning, and we've used the same brands since we adopted her 6 years ago. She also gets her daily morning treats, again, same routine for years.

In the evening, she gets a can of food, usually mixed with table food or a little bit of dry (or both). Plus we share late night snacks if we have some ourselves.

In the past few months, she's up to 1.5 cups of dry food in the morning, a cup of dry with the canned in the evening, late night snacks and she's been digging in the kitchen trash or recycling bin in the overnight hours. She takes the dog food cans out of the recycling and licks them clean, she's done the same with empty tubs of cream cheese.

There's been no weight gain, no change in energy levels, no change to toileting habits. It's as if my middle aged spayed dog has had a pms fueled feeding frenzy going on, for months.

We mentioned this at the last vet visit, and the vet didn't seem concerned. But then, this particular vet didn't seem competent either. I'm searching for a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Dogs are like us and need a certain caloric intake to ratio their body weight, age and activity.

When it comes to canned food, mine get that as a treat only as it is low fat and low protein, not truly enough for feeding.

I would use extreme caution with the table scraps and snacks that you share as some can be harmful.

May I ask what kibble you feed?

Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 PM

98 posts, read 109,861 times
My Dachshund suddenly became very hungry a year ago. However, she did gain weight. A couple/few months after the hunger began, she became suddenly blind (over the course of a weekend). She has and autoimmune disease called SARDS. (Average age of onset - around 8 years old.)

Just something to be aware of.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
My parents had a dog that around middle age started stealing food and acting hungry all the time and had no other obvious changes at that point turns out she had developed diabetes. She had not yet developed the increased thirst or peeing you tend to see with diabetes. So it might be worth mentioning the increased appetite to the vet.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:56 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
As long as she isn't gaining weight if she starts getting fat, your have to apply your will power and cut her back.. I'd probably deworm her and have her thyroid tested.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 AM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
Did they run a full thyroid panel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs