Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 02:59 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times

Advertisements

I see both sides. This person must need to rehome their pet, but not necessarily want to. In that case it would be a very difficult thing to do. I think I would be okay with being facebook friends, or just emailing photos/updates every so often. If I would have to rehome one of my pets, I would want to be reassured they were in a loving home. In fact I am Facebook friends with the people who adopted some cats I rescued. I love seeing their photos posted from time to time and It's nice knowing they are loved and happy.

Now actually visiting, I would find odd unless I was rehoming with someone I was already close with. I don't think I'd be comfortable with that (as the old owner or the new owner!). I would have to draw a line there, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
That's a tough one. We had the situation with a cat and the owners asking if their little girl could visit. We envisioned crying and hysterics when the little girl had to leave. And then her realizing that each time she came she'd also have to leave the cat. And then us falling in love with the cat and maybe the family feeling guilty and wanting her back. whew.

In the midst of that, though, it was the family that decided not to do that.

One main thing. WHY is the woman rehoming the dog? That's key. Is it to get costs paid for a dog that is still kind of her's?

Whatever, if I were approached to take a pet under these conditions I would say she could visit a prescribed number of times...say three days the next week, then two...and then if she wants the dog back, okay. If she never envisioned parting with the dog and just decides she can't do it, fine.

Now, another side could be the owner can't afford the dog. So if your friend is inclined to allow visitations AND to pay for the dog how about exploring having the owner keep the dog and your friend donates the cost.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:39 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
When my Dad passed, the only one who could take his pup (Sheltie) was my younger sister, as everyone else had pup(s) of thier own. My sister (overly neurotic) had to re-home the pup because she said "he showed his teeth to her granddaughter", which is totally out of character. She did find a nice home, and periodically, for the first year, we all would get pictures and updates. It gave us all comfort to know that "Roscoe" went to a good home and was clearly enjoying himself and all the love he was given.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
well update I spoke to my friend and she said that the lady said she could not take time off work to deal with all the paperwork my friend wanted to have drawn up so she moved on to the next person . I told her she might have dodged a bullet .

Old 02-22-2018, 08:10 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well update I spoke to my friend and she said that the lady said she could not take time off work to deal with all the paperwork my friend wanted to have drawn up so she moved on to the next person . I told her she might have dodged a bullet .
I think this might be the case. There are lots of dogs needing homes that don't come with troublesome previous owners. Hope your friend finds a new best buddy.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
. . .
One main thing. WHY is the woman rehoming the dog? That's key. . . .
Should the situation come up again, I think that quote is the most important bit of advice so far. Maybe the old owner is a responsible person, but just on hard times, or with problems that make owning the dog a bad idea - like some of the anecdotes we've gotten. In that case, phonelady's advice was likely way harsh.

On the other hand, the previous owner could be a bad owner, or irresponsible. I can think of so many ways this could be true, and I think you can too. I can think of a lot of ways one person might abuse the good will of another. If you suspect that to be the case, then phonelady's advice is very good advice.

Most people aren't bad people. But you just have to check the situation out, and go with your best judgement. If you think you smell a rat, there may be a good reason.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:30 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
When I had to rehome a dog, I insisted on being able to visit the dog once a year; both when I personally interviewed the potential owner and in the contract I wrote up. The person had no objections, and I ended up visiting about four times altogether; then I stopped, since I was satisfied that all was well, and I could see and read about the dog's progress on social media. I also had the option to communicate by telephone, which I used. When the dog passed away some seven years after I'd rehomed her, the owner called and told me.

If I ever had to rehome a dog again, I would insist on the right to be informed of the dog's condition, be able to get information by telephone, and to visit once a year; since I would want to be sure that the would-be adopters were seriously invested in the dog's welfare - they should have no reason to refuse my request. It's not as if I were selling a pup or dog for hundreds or thousands of dollars and the buyers were getting a dog that I had always intended would go to a new home. I didn't overdo the calling or visits. Insisting on the annual visitation would be a way for me to insure that the dog was going to people who definitely intended to keep him/her.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:38 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
After my brother died last yr, I had to rehome a dog he had. (He lived with my mother in new England, and I had to bring my mom to live with me in the SW, and owned a dog aggressive dog.).
I asked for an update when he got there and asked if she could occasionally send an update. She sent pics after a week, and another almost a yr later at Christmas. I was thrilled to get pics to show my mom that he is happy and loved. He now has a cat brother and a 7 yr old boy of his own that adores him.
So occasional updates are wonderful. I don't think I would be ok with visits.
I think I would nix that and say it would be too confusing for the dog and disruptive for new owner. If she needs a dog fox, tell her that most shelters love dog visitors since the dogs there need love.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:10 AM

343 posts, read 229,404 times
I think it depends on the rehome situation. I see a lot of rehoming being absolutely necessary working at the shelter. We get seniors who become ill or simply just become physically incapable of taking care of a pet but if they can find there way here to visit I'd let them. I think it's such a blow to a loving owner to give up pets because they can't take care of them anymore. It's truly doing what is best for the animal at that point even when it is terribly heart-wreching for the owner to give them up. In that situation I'd let them visit or meet at a neutral place- like a park and allow them to visit or in our case let them come visit the shelter and help out with what they can do with the animals- sometimes that's doing dishes or simply petting the animals and talking sweetly to them. Seniors who love animals need access to animals.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:10 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
When I was a Breeder ...this Before Face Book or Home PC I would Visit my pups! It helped to nip problems in the bud. I made sure they were a good fit. I re-home old dogs I wait 30 days for the 1st visit. Most time all was ok & when it was time for me to leave the dog would go sit by its new person .... Dog telling me He Happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs