Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider cloning your dog?
Yes 7 10.61%
No 51 77.27%
Maybe 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 02:56 PM

37 posts, read 34,544 times

Advertisements

As per her Variety interview, Barbra Streisand has two dogs cloned from cells of her dog who died in 2017. The cost is reported to be about $50k. Disregarding the cost, would you consider cloning your dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 04:00 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,215 times
Seems like just a rich person's version of getting a puppy from the same sire and bit*h. The clone puppies aren't going to have the same personalities as the cloned dog, just like human twins don't have the same personalities.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:07 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,488,399 times
I agree, they probably won't have the same personality, and that's what I loved about my cats. So no, even if it only cost one grand I wouldn't clone anything.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,493 times
Absolutely not! You can certainly get another puppy but you cannot “replace” a dog. There is no guarantee the cloned puppy would have the same personality and it seems to me you would be expecting the cloned dog to BE the old dog and maybe would feel differently about it when you realized they weren’t. The whole idea seems ridiculous but if that’s what she wants to spend her money on, more power to her.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:11 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
My younger son would have considered it for one of his dogs if it had not been so expensive, even knowing the personalities would not be identical.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:34 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Absolutely not! You can certainly get another puppy but you cannot “replace” a dog. There is no guarantee the cloned puppy would have the same personality and it seems to me you would be expecting the cloned dog to BE the old dog and maybe would feel differently about it when you realized they weren’t. The whole idea seems ridiculous but if that’s what she wants to spend her money on, more power to her.
I agree, the whole concept has an eerie Stephen King "Pet Sematary" aura about it. At least she did not have the dog's head cryogenically frozen until future technology could bring the original dog back.

Variety quite literally is the "spice of life". Cloning may not be akin to "inbreeding", but this dog's DNA/RNA had it's day in the sun, better to give another dog chance at life. It's healthy for the dogs as well as their assigned human.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Seems like just a rich person's version of getting a puppy from the same sire and bit*h. The clone puppies aren't going to have the same personalities as the cloned dog, just like human twins don't have the same personalities.
I think your points are correct. From bits and pieces of interviews, her dogs are not identical or a match for her old dog especially as to personality. But the clone would look much like the old dog which would be good enough for me. I have read that a lot of markings and secondary characteristics seem to be formed in the womb, but that's okay too.
Cloning our baby is one of the first things on my lottery winning list. Just before
"We're going to Disneyeverything"

Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I think your points are correct. From bits and pieces of interviews, her dogs are not identical or a match for her old dog especially as to personality. But the clone would look much like the old dog which would be good enough for me. I have read that a lot of markings and secondary characteristics seem to be formed in the womb, but that's okay too.
Cloning our baby is one of the first things on my lottery winning list. Just before
"We're going to Disneyeverything"

I'd find it disturbing to have a dog who looked like a beloved past pet but was not him/her, did not have the same memories and experiences with me. And I would think it would be unfair to the cloned dog; I would have unreasonable expectations and feelings about him/her instead of beginning with a clean slate as one normally does with a new dog.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:05 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
The dog I had waited for all my life died at 5 of cancer and also had a birth defect that was far more serious than I ever suspected. I wouldn't clone him with that sitting in his DNA.

You can't replace a dog. However, if you just wanted the raw material to work with, I could see the argument for itf.

My Catahoula clearly had a rather traumatizing puppyhood by the time he was found. Even so, he was a phenomenal dog - I have people in the dog sport world that knew him come up to me all the time and tell me they miss him. My former roommates are still upset by his death. I learned so much working wtih him, also. I just wonder what it would be like to have a dog like him - with his athleticism, his boldness, his love of working (all there despite him being dumped on a college campus as a puppy) - and what it would be like if he was simply ... raised right and with the knowledge I have now (from owning him). You know, socialized properly, with no lurking surprises in his personality, trained as intensively as I now know he would have enjoyed, all that stuff.

But I really don't believe in the whole breeding thing anymore. If I ever get a dog from a "breeder" it will be from a rancher who breeds their own working dogs (a lot of those dogs end up in rescues anyway, but those breedings will always happen). But mainly I plan on adopting. I love the rescue I work with, and the dogs I have gotten from them have all been amazing. If I spent $50K on cloning a dog, the number of other great dogs that money could have saved would always haunt me.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times
No as $50,000 would have been better spent on some form of relief of suffering whether for human or human’s best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs