Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 08:04 AM

6,512 posts, read 8,295,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That's scary, Mine are little dogs so they know if a dog is loose and it's a big dog not to be a tough guy, but my bigger little guy would try to protect me so I worry about him.
My guy is a little guy, too. He's a schnauzer/poodle mix so he's got a built in (terrier) attitude and thinks he's invincible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 08:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,630,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
My guy is a little guy, too. He's a schnauzer/poodle mix so he's got a built in (terrier) attitude and thinks he's invincible.
At least you can pick them up, that's the first thing I do when I see a dog loose. But they both my hands are full so that's a problem if something happens, but i would rather get bit than them.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:30 AM

1,201 posts, read 793,700 times
Quote:
At least you can pick them up, that's the first thing I do when I see a dog loose. But they both my hands are full so that's a problem if something happens, but i would rather get bit than them.
Unfortunately there have been many cases of Pit bulls ripping the dogs (and babies) from the owners arms!

Old 03-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Unfortunately there have been many cases of Pit bulls ripping the dogs (and babies) from the owners arms!
It's still better than leaving them on the ground so the pit does not have a clear shot of going for the dogs throat.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:36 AM

1,201 posts, read 793,700 times
Quote:
It's still better than leaving them on the ground so the pit does not have a clear shot of going for the dogs throat.
That is very true but don't expect it will work. I do the same though, pick my little dog up when I see a pit bull, even on a leash. I pick him up, cross the street, and get my pepper spray ready. There are many, many cases of leashed, "friendly" pit bulls attacking, and even killing, other dogs on the sidewalk or street because the owners are in denial about genetics and don't believe their "pibble" would ever hurt a fly - then when it goes for another dog or person, they are completely impotent to control it and prevent it getting its target victim. YouTube and LiveLeak are full of videos of innocent pets being attacked on a sidewalk/street by leased pits. These things are everywhere now, like cockroaches, so you always have to be diligent and aware of your surroundings, and be prepared to protect your normal pet. Many people are now using those coyote vests to protect against pit bulls although I'm not sure how effective they would be.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:46 AM

296 posts, read 261,501 times
One of my pet peeves is dog owners with the same narrative "my dog won't bite, my dog is friendly". Blah blah blah. That just tells me they know nothing about K9 behavior. Any dog can be triggered to react and we won't see it coming until it's too late.

Dogs are not computers who respond the same way each time.

You got lucky, and I know how scary this is. I agree that you need to make a report to animal control, if you felt threatened by the dogs, which any person would, AC needs to know.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:43 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
I know, from experience, that those zappers will not stop a pit bull. NOTHING will stop a pit bull from attacking another dog. Please walk your dogs a different way. Dont endanger your dogs' lives by going near that house ever again.

P.S. A dog who doesnt bark is the most dangerous dog of all. Barking is a way of saying either "hi" or "go away". A dominant dog, especially one who's bent on attacking, does not bark.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:15 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,585,323 times
Quote:
I'm walking my dogs where I always do. I pass a house with 2 large pitbulls in the yard. They don't bark at me or my dogs. I don't see them outside very often but have seen them before a few times.

I have 2 small Chihuahuas. Actually one large and one huge one. The big one weighs like 13 pounds but he's very big not fat. he needs a bigger harness and collar than the large 9 pound one.

So I try to rush them along as they try to smell everything every 3 feet and one wants to go to one side of the street and the other wants to pull to the other side.

So I'm walking past and one of the pitbulls presses against the gate and it opens. Now I'm terrified so I pick up my dogs. The bigger of the 2 pits walks in front of me and my bigger dog starts to growl and I tell him to be quiet.

I'm carry 2 dogs and I have mace but my hands are full. I see a car and the dogs are around it so he slows down I tell him to call 911 but he just drives off and doesn't even open the window a crack it was a younger guy with a girl in the car.

So I don't panic and decide to walk back to a neighbors house to see if she can help or ring the doorbell of the house. The dogs are off towards the corner and the lady who's yard it was comes out her back door and I tell her that her dogs got out.

Sh says they are good dogs I tell her she should always be outside when they are outside. She didn't say anything. She didn't even go towards them she just called out to them and eventually they went over to her.

In the end everything was fine, thank God.

I do not trust pitbulls my cousin had one that he raised from a puppy and one day it attacked him and his wife and he had to barricade himself in a room and call the cops to kill it and his wife was in the hospital with scalp wounds for 3 days.

From what you've said, you are frightened because the two pit bulls escaped from their fenced yard while you were walking by with your leashed dogs and did not do anything to you but walk by, while your larger dog was growling.

I think you're over-reacting a little, due to your fear of pit bulls. If these pit bulls had wanted to harm you or your dogs, they had ample opportunity; yet they walked in front of you, and kept on going, and took no aggressive action. I am not saying that these dogs would never be aggressive - I can't say that, I don't know the dogs. But on this occasion, they did nothing.

You should have a talk with the idiot who owns these dogs and is not keeping them properly contained; or send a letter to the landlord saying that you have the right to walk your dogs on the sidewalk without fearing that the pit bulls are going to escape their yard and the owner is allowing them to do so. The dogs are going to end up getting killed either by people who fear them or cops/animal control or hit by cars.

I hope you do not encounter these particular dogs again. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
From what you've said, you are frightened because the two pit bulls escaped from their fenced yard while you were walking by with your leashed dogs and did not do anything to you but walk by, while your larger dog was growling.

I think you're over-reacting a little, due to your fear of pit bulls. If these pit bulls had wanted to harm you or your dogs, they had ample opportunity; yet they walked in front of you, and kept on going, and took no aggressive action. I am not saying that these dogs would never be aggressive - I can't say that, I don't know the dogs. But on this occasion, they did nothing.

You should have a talk with the idiot who owns these dogs and is not keeping them properly contained; or send a letter to the landlord saying that you have the right to walk your dogs on the sidewalk without fearing that the pit bulls are going to escape their yard and the owner is allowing them to do so. The dogs are going to end up getting killed either by people who fear them or cops/animal control or hit by cars.

I hope you do not encounter these particular dogs again. Good luck.
The first dog walked right in front of me. Maybe he was friendly and my dog did a low growl instinctively and he shut up as soon as I told him to stop.

there is a lady a few houses from there who has a really friendly medium sized dog and had she been outside unleashed which she sometimes is, God knows what would have happened.

The problem is they are an unpredictable breed, I have cousins who were almost killed by their own pit who they raised from a puppy.

This is only the second loose dog to get close to me. The first was a medium sized dog in a different city who would get out of their house and jump over a 4 foot fence and look for trouble. In that area I was also once walking and there were 2 pitbulls near some bushes in front of a house, they did not approach me with my dogs, I picked them up and walked away.

Normally loose dogs don't approach people they are so happy to be outside they want to explore their surroundings.

I don't think I'm overreacting at all.

If you have a pitbull and love it, don't leave it untended where it can get out. Your dog may end up dead because of what you do because if it attacks a child or adult of other dog it may have to be put down. And if a dog ever attacks me or my dogs, it will get knifed.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:42 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
Quote:
...I don't think I'm overreacting at all...

No, you're not overreacting.

Many years ago I was walking my daughter's Golden Retriever in my neighborhood when I saw a door open and someone let his pit bull out to run loose, presumably to go potty in someone else's yard. Of course, the pit bull headed straight for me and the Golden. Knowing that pit bulls like to go for the head, I immediately grabbed the Golden's head and put it in between my legs, with the Golden's body and back legs facing outward. The pit bull kept circling me, trying to get to the Golden's head -- but I kept turning away, and turning the Golden's head away, from whichever direction in which the pit bull was going.

It worked long enough for the pit bull owner to open his door and call the dog back in. Naturally, the pit bull did not respond so the owner had to come out and put a collar and leash on his dog to get it back into the house. I didnt dare say anything to him because I worried that he might get angry/defensive and let the pit bull loose just for spite.

Had that pit bull been a pack, or even a group of two, one might well have attacked the Golden's hind quarters. And, had the owner not opened his front door fairly soon, I might not have been able to keep moving the Golden's head away from the pit bull's mouth.

I was a dog trainer for 25+ years and, as I said previously, I know that a zapper will not deter a pit bull that's in attack mode. I also know that bear/pepper spray wont deter a pit bull either. When those dogs are attacking, they dont see, hear or feel anything. Even a gun wont stop a pit bull unless the bullet kills it immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs