Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 04:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Fostering a pet is not like fostering a child where you get money for doing it. It's a volunteer thing.

Am I reading this wrong or you inquired about Fostering and thought it was a job for pay?
no someone contacted me saying that they needed a foster and they really meant a pet sitter . then when I asked what they were paying they pulled the poor college student language and said they would get back with me as to how much they were paying . I don't expect to hear back from them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,599 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I'm sorry to keep at this, phone lady, but how did the person come to the belief that you would be willing to do this, at least for pay? Did you sign up somewhere that you were willing to do this, or did you mention to friends, and this was a friend of a friend?

I'm just trying to figure out how this person got your contact info and knew you were somewhat interested in taking care of a dog.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:29 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
no someone contacted me saying that they needed a foster and they really meant a pet sitter . then when I asked what they were paying they pulled the poor college student language and said they would get back with me as to how much they were paying . I don't expect to hear back from them .
Okay I didn't understand you original story.

I think you could have handled it a better way and explain to them that a foster is usually run by an organization who houses dogs that need to find new homes. Give them a break they were young and didn't know what it was.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm sorry to keep at this, phone lady, but how did the person come to the belief that you would be willing to do this, at least for pay? Did you sign up somewhere that you were willing to do this, or did you mention to friends, and this was a friend of a friend?

I'm just trying to figure out how this person got your contact info and knew you were somewhat interested in taking care of a dog.
Exactly that was another confusing part of the story. How would this person know she was fostering was my first thought if someone called her. My guess is that a foster would only work with rescue organizations to house a pet before they were adopted. One of my friends neighbor across the street does it, he's retired and has had as many as 7 dogs in his home at once.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

I have a lot of doggie friends and this was someone who knows someone sort of thing and they said for them to call . they said they told them they were not sure if I would do it for pay or not . you know how messages get messed up in btwn people right and that is what happened here I do believe . I don't deal in two party conversations you know and I don't like it when it happens to me . I'm sure I wont hear back from them because they know I will charge now .

Old 03-15-2018, 04:55 PM

sorry for the confusion .

Old 03-15-2018, 05:08 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Even with fostering for a rescue, there is no salary but the rescue pays for vet care and usually pays for dog food.

I occassionally see ads for private parties looking for someone to take over care for their pet, very often for a long time. I suspect that their expectations are unrealistic.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:48 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
I got a call this am and someone heard I might be interested in fostering for 8 weeks . Well I got an email back from the person and I asked them what they were paying for the fostering ? I want you all to know they were shocked that someone would actually want to be paid for fostering a pet . I mean come on no one works for free . I think that is a lot of nerve to expect someone to foster your pet for 8 weeks and actually do it for free . Who thinks like that ? it was supposed to be for a college kid and they tried to play that broke and poor college student routine LOL , give me a break . LOL
Of course they were shocked someone would actually want to get paid for fostering. I'm shocked someone would think they should get paid for fostering. I have given foster care for dogs couple of weeks to as long as as a year. I have done so for deploying soldiers, people being hospitalized, women going in domestic violence shelters, college students, people in brewer not homes, etc. Not only have I never been paid, but sometimes they couldn't even pay for the dog's kibble, vet care, and/or grooming, so it cost me money to do it. So, who thinks like that? I guess me.

You need to stop referring to what you do as foster care, if you are expecting to be paid. You need to call yourself a dogsitter. That will help people not be so confused.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:57 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
No, what they meant was they needed a foster. They knew they couldn't afford a pet sitter. You, or someone on your behalf, claimed you were offering fostering when you meant pet sitting. They weren't the one operating under a false assumption in this case - you were.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
people in brewer not homes, etc.
what's that? Is that like a Henway house?

I also didn't think of fostering for soldiers or people in hospitals. or other emergency situations, that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs