Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:48 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I got a call this am and someone heard I might be interested in fostering for 8 weeks . Well I got an email back from the person and I asked them what they were paying for the fostering ? I want you all to know they were shocked that someone would actually want to be paid for fostering a pet . I mean come on no one works for free . I think that is a lot of nerve to expect someone to foster your pet for 8 weeks and actually do it for free . Who thinks like that ? it was supposed to be for a college kid and they tried to play that broke and poor college student routine LOL , give me a break . LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 01:02 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I got a call this am and someone heard I might be interested in fostering for 8 weeks . Well I got an email back from the person and I asked them what they were paying for the fostering ? I want you all to know they were shocked that someone would actually want to be paid for fostering a pet . I mean come on no one works for free . I think that is a lot of nerve to expect someone to foster your pet for 8 weeks and actually do it for free . Who thinks like that ? it was supposed to be for a college kid and they tried to play that broke and poor college student routine LOL , give me a break . LOL
Sounds more like pet sitting than fostering. Fostering usually means you have an animal that is in rescue living in your home until it is adopted. As far as I know, no rescue pays for fostering. Pet sitting for an owner who is on vacation is a different situation entirely.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:15 PM

okay maybe it is pet sitting but either way they did not sound like they wanted to pay anything for the pet sitting shall we say . thanks rowan .

Old 03-15-2018, 02:04 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I've fostered with two organizations and I think we're on the list for a third, and we've never been paid for fostering. The foster organization pays for vet bills but runs on volunteers. The one I have currently is has an adoption fee of $475. Of that, I've turned in $365 in receipts for vet work (includes a neuter, deworming, and another )

I picked him up from a Vet after he was sprung from the pound, and he had been given a rabies shot, and a dewormer, beforehand, and that wasn't free.

I advise you refer the "college students" to a boarding facility.

Good thing you walked away from that one, who knows if they'd even be back for the poor animal?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:11 PM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Quote:
Fostering is for free. In addition to fostering rescue animals, some people foster military pets while their owners are deployed, or for someone who might temporarily be going through a crisis. Other than that, it's called pet sitting and they should certainly be expected to pay for the service.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've fostered with two organizations and I think we're on the list for a third, and we've never been paid for fostering. The foster organization pays for vet bills but runs on volunteers. The one I have currently is has an adoption fee of $475. Of that, I've turned in $365 in receipts for vet work (includes a neuter, deworming, and another )

I picked him up from a Vet after he was sprung from the pound, and he had been given a rabies shot, and a dewormer, beforehand, and that wasn't free.

I advise you refer the "college students" to a boarding facility.

Good thing you walked away from that one, who knows if they'd even be back for the poor animal?

I think they must have called around before hand and found out what a boarding facility charges and then they thought oh I will call a friend of a friend and see if they will do it for free sort of thing you know ?

Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Sounds more like pet sitting than fostering. Fostering usually means you have an animal that is in rescue living in your home until it is adopted. As far as I know, no rescue pays for fostering. Pet sitting for an owner who is on vacation is a different situation entirely.
If this really is pet sitting then, yes, you should be paid.

I agree with the other poster who suggested that the person found out how much it would cost to board a pet and thought that they could try to find someone who would do it for free.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I see this from time to time on craigslist. Someone desperately posting - they are having to do an internship in another city where they'll be staying in student housing, a person needs a kidney transplant and they have to be housed near the hospital for up to 3 months, etc.

I always wonder about those cases, whether they are able to find someone to do that. Paying a for profit kennel would be cost-prohibitive.

I do know that's one of the main reasons animals are released to the shelter - and many times, the owners beg for the shelter to just take them for _____ weeks until they get their situation resolved.

And there ARE those people who will do it "for free". We saw that during Hurricane Harvey's aftermath - people stepped up to help out with evacuees who were staying in shelters and didn't have anywhere to put their dogs and cats, but dearly wanted them back.

OP - I agree, it sounds like there was confusion between your willingness to foster vs. board or petsit.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:14 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Playing devil's advocate here. If this was the first time these people had ever had a pet, ever needed someone to care for one, its possible they had no idea what's expected. They didn't even use the right term for what they wanted...."fostering" versus "pet sitting". So, they were surprised and got a reality check. There's a first time for everything. So what? All you had to say was no, correct? All you had to do was suggest a boarding kennel, right?

Old 03-15-2018, 03:38 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Fostering a pet is not like fostering a child where you get money for doing it. It's a volunteer thing.

Am I reading this wrong or you inquired about Fostering and thought it was a job for pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs