Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They aren't meant to.
Were you told otherwise?

Again... Were you told otherwise?
---

The tricky part is putting the doggy door near the door you'll use for the house training.
(which I think was the conflict the OP has written about)

My doggy door is not near the door we go out on leash when I potty train but all my adults as well as my 2 that were small puppies caught on to the dog door and the fact they could go out to potty without me right away. Of course I have l always had older dogs who they would watch, but with Jazz, who was one of the two puppies she only had an accident in the house and my older dog ran over and made a racket barking at her then ran out the doggy door with Jazz behind her and they both urinated and that puppy never in her 14.5 years had another accident indoors. My dogs have never liked being outside without me so they do only use the dog door to go out to go potty, so my experience was it really did speed up house training as the other one that was a puppy Chaos was house trained within a week.

When we have been places that do not have a pet door my dogs will come look at me if they need to pee but if we are someplace that has a pet door they will use it, they understand they are not to go inside the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 04:42 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Apparently you didn’t read the article very well. My Nextdoor is primarily lost and found dogs because there are so many irresponsible dog owners here. Quite a few involve lost dogs that have a dog door out to a fenced yard. Note how many of these attacks involved a fenced back yard and/or a dog door! Safety Before Pit Bulldogs: Extreme Attacks: List of Invasion Attacks by Pit Bulls
OK, we know from your other posts that you are very anxious about pit bull attacks. All any of us can relate is our personal experience. My family usually had multiple dogs and used dog doors. My siblings and I still have dogs and use dog doors. Friends and neighbors of mine have dogs....some use dog doors. None of these dogs have been attacked by anything except run-of-the-mill ectoparasites or an occasional pissed off nesting bird.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They aren't meant to.
Were you told otherwise?

Again... Were you told otherwise?
---

The tricky part is putting the doggy door near the door you'll use for the house training.
(which I think was the conflict the OP has written about)
YES, I WAS told otherwise. We adopted a dog and we were told she was house trained. She wasn't. She just went in and out a doggie door.

No, I wasn't told otherwise. This is MY opinion which is what these boards are all about. Don't get so snitty!

Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
We have had doggie doors since I can remember and have never had an issue. Ours go from the kitchen to the garage and then from the garage to the backyard. Have you look into maybe having one installed in the wall itself? Our neighbor did this for his small dogs over a sliding door one. Much more secure.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:23 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
we had doggie door up until the day a raccoon got in the house and my papa said no more doggie door . that raccoon scared the bejesus out of all of us and even the dog . My papa finally got him out of the house by kicking him with some work boots my papa (grandpa) was a old farm boy and he had seen some of the farmers kick them around out of their fields rather than killing them we got rid of the doggie door pronto and never had another one .

Old 03-21-2018, 01:13 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
home depot and Lowe's have sliding glass door doggie door inserts.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:48 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
I've had one which I got at Lowe's. The first issue I had was getting the seal tight on the door side. I used all kinds of weatherstripping and I still had drafts and tiny bugs, mosquitos, and all their friends on warm nights when I had the lights on inside during the summer. If I closed the screen, then the dogs couldn't go in and out.

The second issue was that once the panel was installed, the human walk-through space was only 15.5 inches. That was with the medium size dog door. I'm a small person so I was OK, but if I wanted to take a tray of meat, for example, out to the BBQ, I had to go around via the side garage door to the backyard! Quite the nuisance. I was also concerned about safety issues in an emergency. I literally could not have gotten through the door space if I'd been on crutches, such as I was last year after a nasty fall in the wilderness.

I finally gave up and got one of the through-the-glass dog doors. They're not inexpensive - mine was about $1500 all in - but so worth it. Plus the security is so much better. Once you have the panel, it's difficult to have a secure locking apparatus. With the full glass, you're right back to a normal sliding glass door.

Here's what I have.

https://www.moorepet-petdoors.com/IN...OORS-s/503.htm

I've not had any problems with critters coming in. I always close the panel up with the sliding insert panel at night.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:06 PM

263 posts, read 437,778 times
THANK YOU to the minority of you who were able to properly read & comprehend my request, and post a relevant response. For the rest of you, hey, I guess I did your local community a favor by keeping you inside the house, writing your rant or story.

The Hale Pet Doors look very nice, but I suggest that interested parties quickly go to the pricing page and see how much they are. In my case, I wasted about 15 minutes looking at the various models, before 20 seconds on their pricing page ruled them out for me.

I ended up going to Lowe's and spending $150 on a model that (so far...) has been meeting the objective perfectly.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:10 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
Great news! I'm glad you found something that works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs