Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 05:51 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
I, for one, am not content to just have dogs as sofa ornaments. My dogs have EXCELLENT many things!

What is a Title, Really?

Not just a brag, Not just a stepping stone to a higher title, Not just an adjunct to competitive scores.
A Title is a tribute to the dog that bears it, a way to honor that dog, an ultimate memorial. It will remain in the record and in the memory for about as long as anything in this world can remain. Few humans will do as well or better in that regard. And though the dog himself doesn't know or care that this achievements have been noted, a Title says many things in the world of humans, where such things count.
A Title says your dog was intelligent, and adaptable,and good-natured. It says that your dog loved you enough to do the things that please you, however crazy they may have sometimes seemed.
And a Title says that you loved your dog, that you loved to spend time with him because he was a good dog, and that you believed in him enough to give him yet another chance when he failed (or you did), and that in the end your faith was justified.
A Title proves that your dog inspired you to have the special relationship enjoyed by so few; that in a world of disposable creatures, this dog with a Title was greatly loved, and loved greatly in return.
And when that dear short life is over, the Title remains as a memorial of the finest kind, the best you can give to a deserving friend, volumes of praise in one small set of initials before or after the name.
A Title is nothing less than love and respect, given and received permanently.

by Sandy Mowery
sofa ornaments? LOL.....

To each his own........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 12:53 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
It's not about "showing off" at all. For me, it's about having a dog with manners. If you've ever been dressed up, going to an interview or wedding, you don't want your dog or your friend's dog jumping on you at that point.

Also, some people don't like dogs, and putting your dog into sit/stay makes person more comfortable while they are talking to you if you meet during a walk.

I'm not trying to train the next winner of America's Got Talent! This is why I like CGC (canine good citizenship). I'm not after a certificate. I just want my/my friend's dog to be welcome in public, and that gives me specific behaviors to train for.

I do this will all the dogs who end up in my house while their owners are deployed (or in school), and I've told the owners this will happen because I can't have misbehaving animals around. The cool thing is that the training has stuck! The husky I had one summer no longer drags everyone down the street and gets walked more often by the seniors in the household now.

I see this as a win-win for everyone.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:01 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
I agree that a dog should have manners. While I am not planning on titling my new dog in anything, I have a farm and my dogs are my companions, my farm helpers and my watch dogs. They have jobs. And they enjoy the sofa. The parents are titled in many working line things. I'm not sure what a show line title means given what it has done to some breeds.

My cattle dog is a very good dancer though. Something we've worked on in our spare time.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
I, for one, am not content to just have dogs as sofa ornaments. My dogs have EXCELLENT many things!

What is a Title, Really?

Not just a brag, Not just a stepping stone to a higher title, Not just an adjunct to competitive scores.
A Title is a tribute to the dog that bears it, a way to honor that dog, an ultimate memorial. It will remain in the record and in the memory for about as long as anything in this world can remain. Few humans will do as well or better in that regard. And though the dog himself doesn't know or care that this achievements have been noted, a Title says many things in the world of humans, where such things count.
A Title says your dog was intelligent, and adaptable,and good-natured. It says that your dog loved you enough to do the things that please you, however crazy they may have sometimes seemed.
And a Title says that you loved your dog, that you loved to spend time with him because he was a good dog, and that you believed in him enough to give him yet another chance when he failed (or you did), and that in the end your faith was justified.
A Title proves that your dog inspired you to have the special relationship enjoyed by so few; that in a world of disposable creatures, this dog with a Title was greatly loved, and loved greatly in return.
And when that dear short life is over, the Title remains as a memorial of the finest kind, the best you can give to a deserving friend, volumes of praise in one small set of initials before or after the name.

by Sandy Mowery
LOL...do you know who that lady is?
Yeah, she doesn't have an agenda at all.

I got an oil painting done of my dog when she passed. Does that mean I love her more than people who didn't? I'm sure it does.

What is an oil painting, really? By -stan4

Old 03-25-2018, 08:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
It's not about "showing off" at all. For me, it's about having a dog with manners. If you've ever been dressed up, going to an interview or wedding, you don't want your dog or your friend's dog jumping on you at that point.

Yeah, but I've met plenty of very, very well-behaved dogs that had no titles.
Hey, if that's what you're into, that's great. Everyone should have hobbies and it's good for the dog, too. They love to work!
But it's weird how many people seem to act like (or post like) your choice is between two extremes: titled dogs and total wild animals.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But it's weird how many people seem to act like (or post like) your choice is between two extremes: titled dogs and total wild animals.
That's OttoR. I have zero titles, nor do I have any certificates for the dogs.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:46 AM

1,201 posts, read 803,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, but I've met plenty of very, very well-behaved dogs that had no titles.
Hey, if that's what you're into, that's great. Everyone should have hobbies and it's good for the dog, too. They love to work!
Nope - but poster above was being snarky about training and showing dogs. It’s pretty easy to do nothing but it takes a HUGE commitment to your dogs, and countless hours of quality 1:1 time to be successful in the ring.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:11 PM

423 posts, read 289,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
She won't come back for a cookie, but she will come back for a size 7 correction??

I do correct my dogs when they misbehave, but it is a voice correction that they know and understand means they effed up.... works for us!!
Your dog was not attacking wild boars who could rip their guts out.

My GSD veers off a chase with a verbal command too. But she blew off the No! and Come! out in the dark with the hogs roaring and and screaming. A size 7 correction brought her back, not a cookie. It probably saved her life.

Last edited by BlackberryMerlot; 03-25-2018 at 12:29 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 12:23 PM

423 posts, read 289,004 times
Quote:

What is a Title, Really?

by Sandy Mowery
And in the case of German Shepherds bred in Europe, a Title is all these things plus a Title allows their puppies to be registered. They are bred to other titled dogs. They have been selected for generations for temperment, intelligence and Biddability (trainability) because they had to be titled. The AKC registers anything.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
Your dog was not attacking wild boars who could rip their guts out.
This is just a situation that a dog owner who has always lived in a 'burb or "in town" probably won't understand.

If I were living somewhere rural, I'd use whatever tools I needed to keep the dogs safe. Some border collies of a relative chased buggies in Amish Country (Holmes, Co., OH). The shock collar used correctly was about the only thing that worked to stop the behavior. It might sound cruel to an outsider, but it was that or potentially have the dog smashed by the buggy (or shot for spooking the horses).

That's another "won't come for a cookie" situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs