Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:34 PM

48,360 posts, read 34,494,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I feel like a panicking dog isn't going to learn anything, but maybe if it was done gradually you would see results. Basically, try exposure therapy or create a mask sound.

I found this: Frightful Noises Audio CD - Pethealth

1. Determine if the recording, when played through your audio equipment, does alarm your dog but do this once only.
2. If so, expose your dog to a level of the recording that causes NO fear and repeat that daily for a few days
3. Then incrementally increase the volume of the noise daily while ensuring your dog remains calm and content.
4. Once successful, the same noise tracks can be used mask the noise of thunder

What a great idea.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 02:07 PM

22,952 posts, read 18,253,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What a great idea.
Maybe what we need are good noise-cancelling headphones for dogs. No, I am not trying to laugh at others' expense. I wonder if it might be a possible aid. Sure, it would do nothing about the air pressure or the static charge triggers.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:09 PM

4,513 posts, read 2,495,897 times
melatonin given at first sign of storm.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:26 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,007,918 times
I once had 2 greyhounds: BEST DOGS EVAR!!!!!

But nothing bothered them.

Now I have a mutt who hides between the toilet and the wall during storms. It's not the sound of thunder; it's the feeling they get when barometric pressure drops. My dog alerts me to an oncoming storm at least an hour before it hits. She feels it. I always suspected it was the feeling rather than the noise. Now that she's old and completely deaf, she still shivers, quakes, and hides, so I'm positive is something they feel.

I've never tried a thunder shirt or anything with my girl. She's gonna hide and shake, so I let her. Once the pressure is back to normal, it's like nothing happened.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,975,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Maybe what we need are good noise-cancelling headphones for dogs. No, I am not trying to laugh at others' expense. I wonder if it might be a possible aid. Sure, it would do nothing about the air pressure or the static charge triggers.
They do make noise-cancelling headphones for dogs. The reviews are mixed on whether they work or not. I do not know anyone who has used them. In theory they should help if not to totally drown out the storm/fireworks, hopefully at least to deaden the noise a little. As with any new piece of equipment, they would need to be slowly and randomly introduced to the dog with an abundance of fun and positive reinforcement.

https://www.pilotmall.com/product/Mu...CABEgKNv_D_BwE

Old 04-08-2018, 10:11 PM

105 posts, read 85,310 times

We have a dog with storm phobia and we manage it with doggie xanax, a thunder shirt, and a crate.

We give her the meds as directed by our vet. She wears her thunder shirt and then we do one of two things. If we are home and not busy, we will relax with her on the couch, keeping her physically close. If we are busy or won't be home, we put her crate in a quiet spot and play soothing music for her.

She never completely relaxes but this does seem to help calm her quite a bit. We tried several solutions before resorting to the drugs, but she was too miserable and nothing gave relief like the meds.

Good luck!!! Greyhounds are great dogs.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 5,098 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone. It is thundering away here and she's in her closet with some light sedation from the vet on board. Not perfect, but better than she has been previously. I now have lots of suggestions now to try. Thanks so much everybody.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:52 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,521,894 times
This has been something that concerns me with my new pup (14 weeks).
My last Great pyrenees was afraid of storms, and paced. He also hated fireworks.

A storm finally rolled through last evening. It was fast moving, and only about 4 claps of thunder.
It made the electric go down for about 1 minute. Thankfully, Wolfie was just fine, didn't
bat an eye at the thunder. LOL, but what did puzzle him was the electric going off. He was heading
for the kitchen when it happened. He turned around and looked at me quizzically, as to say
''Dad, what's going on? I don't hear the tiny hums made by machinery anymore.''

I'll have to wait for 4th of July to see how he reacts to the fireworks.

*In anticipation of these kinds of noise problems, I am doing my best to condition him to all kinds of
stimuli. He goes for car rides, hears horns honking, tires, traffic. He hears the ocassional kids that race
nearby on their ATV's, he hears my noisy neighbor yelling at her children and husband.
A few doors down are three boxers. He hears them too.

The only sound that he freaks out over? My computer speakers!

Last edited by TerraDown; 04-11-2018 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs