Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:25 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,982,767 times

Advertisements

A neighbor has 2 dachshunds that literally never stop barking for more than a minute. They're inside and have a view of the street through a front window. Their yapping goes on all day long. Every time a car drives by or somebody walks past, the barking escalates into an absolutely frenzy of barking/snarling and the dogs repeatedly hurl themselves against the window. The house is set 50' back from the sidewalk. In short, they are completely deranged. I've never seen dogs in such a state of unrelenting rage.

It occurred to me that these animals must be in some kind of extraordinary psychic pain or distress to constantly exhibit this behavior. It's clear they are suffering greatly or are somehow completely unbalanced. Is there anything to be done? I have no reason to think that they're being mistreated yet it seems that the merciful thing to do would be to end their obvious suffering. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 12:28 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,671,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
A neighbor has 2 dachshunds that literally never stop barking for more than a minute. They're inside and have a view of the street through a front window. Their yapping goes on all day long. Every time a car drives by or somebody walks past, the barking escalates into an absolutely frenzy of barking/snarling and the dogs repeatedly hurl themselves against the window. The house is set 50' back from the sidewalk. In short, they are completely deranged. I've never seen dogs in such a state of unrelenting rage.

It occurred to me that these animals must be in some kind of extraordinary psychic pain or distress to constantly exhibit this behavior. It's clear they are suffering greatly or are somehow completely unbalanced. Is there anything to be done? I have no reason to think that they're being mistreated yet it seems that the merciful thing to do would be to end their obvious suffering. Thoughts?
It sounds, to me, like they're having a fabulous time.

Dogs who hang out by the window for the pleasure of getting all worked up and barking seem like they enjoy it. As irritating as it is to passersby.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:32 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
Yeah I think it is more likely the neighbors such as yourself that are suffering from all that barking. The dogs no doubt think they are doing a great job protecting their home, They bark and go crazy and the car, the person what ever was out there goes away..yup we just saved the house!

Old 04-10-2018, 12:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 793,051 times
Quote:

Yes, I believe it is animal cruelty. If I could hear it inside my own home, I would be calling animal control regularly (and have in the past). Otherwise, I'd just feel really sad for the dogs having such a miserable life.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:22 PM

2,617 posts, read 6,982,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Dogs who hang out by the window for the pleasure of getting all worked up and barking seem like they enjoy it. As irritating as it is to passersby.
But they DON'T seem to actually enjoy it. They go into a rage the likes of which I've never seem, their nervous systems on 10,000% overload. I've had dogs all my life and never seen any that went into such a rage or terror or whatever it is. And the barking really never stops, it just goes up and down. I've had guests repeatedly ask, "What's wrong with those dogs?"

To be clear, it doesn't bother me much. I can't hear it inside my house. I just think of them as being in a state of never-ending aggression/fear/rage and hence in ongoing horror and misery.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:06 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,088,169 times
Quote:
But they DON'T seem to actually enjoy it. They go into a rage the likes of which I've never seem, their nervous systems on 10,000% overload. I've had dogs all my life and never seen any that went into such a rage or terror or whatever it is. And the barking really never stops, it just goes up and down. I've had guests repeatedly ask, "What's wrong with those dogs?"

To be clear, it doesn't bother me much. I can't hear it inside my house. I just think of them as being in a state of never-ending aggression/fear/rage and hence in ongoing horror and misery.
In a way, maybe they are being abused...they may get no attention or stimulation from the humans who live there, not even to tell them to shut up (not my words ). Every moment of their days ends up focused on the world outside because there's nothing on the inside other than water and food bowls.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:08 PM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
Quote:

I think you might have to look at the breed as while cute little dogs Dachshunds are rather scrappy little guys who mean business. They were bred to scent, chase, and flush out badgers and other burrow-dwelling animals so yeah I can see them getting worked up into what you might feel is anger when they see something outside they can not get at but really want too. And they will keep at it unlike many breeds who will decide it is not worth it.

My late Jazz was put into place by a dachshund named Peanut. She thought she would go give Peanut a hard time for not following her rules and Peanut decided not to allow some crazy herding dog to push her around.It was like someone unleased this crazy angry beast that could not let go of that anger . Peanut ended up teaching Jazz not to mess with her as she was a force to be reckoned with. For the rest of that afternoon at the park she gave Jazz a hard time and just seemed angry. Jazz learned Doxies are not a breed to mess with as they have attitude and they will back that attitude up. But being they were bred to deal with Badgers you want a dog with that stick with it get it stubborn attitude.. and yes they can be stubborn as that is the one thing that drives my friend crazy about her Doxie if he gets something in his mindset he is stubborn as can be.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:27 PM

19,363 posts, read 22,309,954 times
No.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:50 AM

32,477 posts, read 47,394,627 times
The dogs are entertaining themselves. It's recreational barking and it is self rewarding.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:34 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,082,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Are they so different from some of the participants in C-D Forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs