Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 06:42 AM

199 posts, read 129,333 times

Advertisements

Our dog is 10.5 and he was recently sick. The meds caused him to pee a lot. He is better now but we are still cleaning up pee everyday. A diaper doesn’t work, he just chews pee pads....we now keep him confined to the bedroom during the week when we are at work so the messes are confined to one room and the rest of the house is decent for company....are bedroom carpet is ruined though and smells. I have a good cleaning spray that I use everyday but the carpet is so saturated with pee spots and discoloration is embedded in the carpet. I don’t want to call in industrial carpet cleaners or recarpet until he goes....any temp suggestions on a good cleaner and also ways to stop him from peeing?
We can’t keep him in the kitchen either since the floor is hardwood and could ruin from the pee.

Last edited by Joanna4k; 04-13-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 07:58 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
You can get carpet shampoo designed for use with pets, it has enzymes to help stabilize. Sadly though you're going to lose the carpet and carpet pad. As the urine has without a doubt gone through to the subflooring make sure to use Kilz over the sub floor before placing new flooring.

What has your vet said about the potential pro-longed side effect?

Old 04-13-2018, 08:01 AM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Why doesn't a diaper work? Have you tried belly bands if he is a male? A friend has a similar problem with her 16-year-old dog and she uses a belly band with a maxi pad inside it. That works really well but makes him stink; she has to bathe him every other day. Your carpet and padding (and possibly the subfloor) are done. You will just have to plan on replacing all of that. If it soaked through to the subfloor, you'll need to replace that because the next dog will be able to smell that, even through new carpet and padding and that might make house training a challenge.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:38 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
You might also consider paying someone to come over a few times a day to let him out. He probably doesn't want to be peeing in the house either.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:16 AM

199 posts, read 129,333 times
To replace all of that would be a few thousand?

Belly band doesn’t work. He moves it.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:52 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
i used to put down a shower curtain and cover it with an old comforter. Actually had several old comforters and would rotate-one one the floor, one in the laundry and one ready to go down. Jessie dog would piddle on the comforter.

Had a few piddle puddles to clean when I got home but it saved the rug.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
Can someone run home on lunch and let him out to pee, or hire someone to let him out?

You could try those pee pads that look like grass: https://www.chewy.com/wee-wee-patch-...ontent=Wee-Wee

I heard this stuff helps with the smell/clean-up:
https://angryorange.net/

Old 04-13-2018, 10:20 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
another thought: have you talked to your vet about this? I think I read there's a pill to help if it's just age related.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 AM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
We can’t keep him in the kitchen either since the floor is hardwood and could ruin from the pee.
What about gating off a bathroom? Utility or laundry room? Get some large absorbent entry floor mats for the smaller space, rotate them out and hose them off? Given the expense you are facing now and in future for that ruined carpet, might be easier, cheaper, and more pleasant for everyone to hire someone to let him out a couple of times a day.

No "spray" is going to completely get rid of the urine. At least a good enzyme cleaner (Nature's Miracle etc) will help with the surface odor/stain.

This is one main reason I'd never put hardwoods in a kitchen. Too much going on in there that can ruin it, too much fuss over it all the time.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Pee can Rot the Sub floor.... And you don't know whats under the carpet. My son rented to a friend whose cats killed the carpet....under the carpet was Hardwood floors! What a mess redoing that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs