Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 PM

560 posts, read 452,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I paid $ 740 for my rottweiler to have one molar pulled and
teeth cleaning.
I called around this area where I live and the range I was given seems to be normal. How did you Rottweiler do? I’m just worried about my little old man. He’s never been at the vet without me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Costs are going to vary by practice and what the "local" market will tolerate with competition, but here's what my vet charged lately. My 7 year old medium size breed rescue has pretty bad teeth, always has since she was young:

Full dental cleaning (includes anesthesia, meds, IV, the physical cleaning supplies, surgical suite, tech and dentist time, applying Doxirobe gel, Sanos sealant application, follow-up pain med): $580. If the cleaning took more time, it can add another $100-200.

Full dental plus 3 extractions: $960.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:33 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
I have paid for mannnny dental surgeries for several pets. That price is in the normal range. IMHO
You are getting an estimate for what the vet KNOWS is wrong, just by looking into your dog's mouth. Once your dog is out of it, and x-rays are done... could be a whole new ballgame.

Old 04-20-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I have paid for mannnny dental surgeries for several pets. That price is in the normal range. IMHO
You are getting an estimate for what the vet KNOWS is wrong, just by looking into your dog's mouth. Once your dog is out of it, and x-rays are done... could be a whole new ballgame.
Thanks! Yeah that’s why they said they sent the low (for what he saw Monday) and the high (if he needs to do more). I am hoping it’s just the bad back molars that are hard to see because I am moving that day and I just had surgery myself and wasn’t expecting to drop a grand. I had about 400 saved for the dental surgery. Eeeek!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:27 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
my two Chihuahuas aged 10 and 12 had some of their teeth removed about two years ago and both under anthesia and it was 320 .00 for both of them . Find another vet this guy is ripping you a new one .

Old 04-20-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my two Chihuahuas aged 10 and 12 had some of their teeth removed about two years ago and both under anthesia and it was 320 .00 for both of them . Find another vet this guy is ripping you a new one .
According to the area vets they would charge about the same, however they all said they would have to see him before scheduling so I would have to pay for a vet visit then give an estimate. They did say for a small dog between 8-9 years old that is around what they charge. I live in an expesinve area.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:33 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
I agree with others - your prices sound within a normal range - but that will vary depending on where you are. Prices where I am (MA) would likely be a bit higher. For a cleaning only, I would expect to pay from $400 to 700. I used to be able to the dogs teeth cleaned for about 300, but I don't think I could anymore.

And it doesn't bother me, because I've found a better answer. Raw meaty bones (RMB) on a regular basis remove tartar and keep dogs' teeth clean.

Depending on how bad the bad teeth are, you could try starting the dog on raw meaty bones (RMB) immediately. I always pour boiling water over mine to scald the outside and kill surface germs, just in case. You don't want to cook them, just to scald the surface.

You have a little guy - so I would say get chicken necks or leg quarters. The leg quarters in my groceries have a little section of hip and back bone which is just right for a little chewing exercise. I cut off the leg with it's large bone, which leaves a nice little section of crunchy nutrition.

The purpose is to give the dog something to chew that will also clean his teeth. RMB are my 'go-to' method for that. I don't get my dogs teeth cleaned because they don't need it - they get RMB at least a couple of times a week, and it keeps their teeth clean. The bones aren't cooked, so they are flexible and a dog can break them up into bite-sized chunks. The bones digest readily, and RMB also add a natural dietary source of calcium, and all that joint-stuff (chondroitin, glucosamine etc) that we buy expensive supplements to add!

Depending on how bad the gingivitis is, cleaning the teeth of tartar may allow the gums to heal. That can happen surprisingly quickly.

I did have one dog, though, who was so used to kibble and canned that she didn't recognize RMB as something to eat. No help, there!

Old 04-20-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I agree with others - your prices sound within a normal range - but that will vary depending on where you are. Prices where I am (MA) would likely be a bit higher. For a cleaning only, I would expect to pay from $400 to 700. I used to be able to the dogs teeth cleaned for about 300, but I don't think I could anymore.

And it doesn't bother me, because I've found a better answer. Raw meaty bones (RMB) on a regular basis remove tartar and keep dogs' teeth clean.

Depending on how bad the bad teeth are, you could try starting the dog on raw meaty bones (RMB) immediately. I always pour boiling water over mine to scald the outside and kill surface germs, just in case. You don't want to cook them, just to scald the surface.

You have a little guy - so I would say get chicken necks or leg quarters. The leg quarters in my groceries have a little section of hip and back bone which is just right for a little chewing exercise. I cut off the leg with it's large bone, which leaves a nice little section of crunchy nutrition.

The purpose is to give the dog something to chew that will also clean his teeth. RMB are my 'go-to' method for that. I don't get my dogs teeth cleaned because they don't need it - they get RMB at least a couple of times a week, and it keeps their teeth clean. The bones aren't cooked, so they are flexible and a dog can break them up into bite-sized chunks. The bones digest readily, and RMB also add a natural dietary source of calcium, and all that joint-stuff (chondroitin, glucosamine etc) that we buy expensive supplements to add!

Depending on how bad the gingivitis is, cleaning the teeth of tartar may allow the gums to heal. That can happen surprisingly quickly.

I did have one dog, though, who was so used to kibble and canned that she didn't recognize RMB as something to eat. No help, there!
He was using those breath bones from Milk Bone and dental sticks, but he won’t chew on them anymore and hasn’t for the past 2 months. When I saw his back teeth I can see why. I am sure they are hurting. He only eats his food one at a time and even his treats he nibbles slowly. I’m hoping once he gets them removed and healed he goes back to loving them because thy did help with his teeth.

He is suppose to be getting the other ones cleaned after they remove his two bad ones. Hopefully he can get by with just those two.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2018, 09:52 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
I am glad that YOU understand why your estimate is what it is. Bloodwork before any surgery is a good thing. It will give the vet a very good idea if your guy can handle being put under, or what to keep an eye on.

Just like for yourself, x-rays are also a good thing. There are often things going on that can't be seen by the naked eye. I'd rather have everything taken care of at one time, if possible... not have to make a return visit.

Bloodwork and x-rays add up, but you want a vet that is thorough. Do it right the first time!

Keep the bloodwork results in a file. The info can come in handy later. It will give a vet your dog's "norm," if something should come up later.

We feed raw. I won't make this about food, but... we have never had to repeat dental surgery, after the first time. Species appropriate food and raw meaty bones, keep the teeth and gums in primo condition!

Anytime a pet or person is put under, there are risks. BUT it sounds like your vet is on the ball! Your guy will be fine... and so will you.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I am glad that YOU understand why your estimate is what it is. Bloodwork before any surgery is a good thing. It will give the vet a very good idea if your guy can handle being put under, or what to keep an eye on.

Just like for yourself, x-rays are also a good thing. There are often things going on that can't be seen by the naked eye. I'd rather have everything taken care of at one time, if possible... not have to make a return visit.

Bloodwork and x-rays add up, but you want a vet that is thorough. Do it right the first time!

Keep the bloodwork results in a file. The info can come in handy later. It will give a vet your dog's "norm," if something should come up later.

We feed raw. I won't make this about food, but... we have never had to repeat dental surgery, after the first time. Species appropriate food and raw meaty bones, keep the teeth and gums in primo condition!

Anytime a pet or person is put under, there are risks. BUT it sounds like your vet is on the ball! Your guy will be fine... and so will you.
Thanks! Did your dog do in house blood work or labs sent out of house? My vet gave the choice of in house the day of surgery to check “check kidney and liver function as well as electrolytes” and then the choice to bring him in on 5/1 or 5/2 to have blood work sent out of house. There is a 40 dollar difference between the 2 and the Dr would like me to do the out of house, but it’s not mandatory as they do the in house. I was thinking of sticking with the in house only.

His vet said for the X Rays he will do the 2 teeth that look really bad and if needed he can do the others.

I’m just nervous for him! He’s my baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs