Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 06:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times

Advertisements

The greeter ladies at HD here keep treats for the dogs.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:23 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I think you need to leave your dog at home if your going to go shopping. Period.

If you cant function without your dog, you obviously qualify for mental illness and support animal status.
You r screen name says all about you.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:28 PM

666 posts, read 642,134 times
Good for Home Depot, I'll try to shop there more often now. I have a pretty serious fear of dogs and it has absolutely nothing to do with being "familiar" with them. Not entirely sure what that even means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yeah, I know it is an arguable policy. Some people are afraid of dogs because they are not familiar with them.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:32 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,334 times
You’re more than welcome to start your own store and permit dogs or any other animals that you want. Big government shouldn’t decide for us, it is up to free enterprise.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:03 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
No more. We were refused entry today and told it is corporate policy.
Corporate policy is no more dogs except for service animals.
That may differ by store. I just called my local store and the rep said that corporate policy hasn't changed, but that individual stores have the option of not allowing dogs.

About once or twice a month I meet with clients at our local Home Depot and the staff love it- they are always welcoming, curious what we are working on, and always want to say hello and get time with the dogs. We go during off-peak hours, are always careful to be considerate, not to get in the way and avoid congested/busy areas. The dogs have always been very well-mannered and none of them have ever pottied in the store, barked, or grabbed anything.

If you have another store in your area you might call them to see if they allow dogs.
Your regular store may have had several bad experiences with irresponsible owners.

Last edited by twelvepaw; 04-27-2018 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-27-2018, 08:18 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,791,579 times
I adore dogs, but I've never understood the appeal in taking them shopping.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I think you need to leave your dog at home if your going to go shopping. Period.

If you cant function without your dog, you obviously qualify for mental illness and support animal status.
Oh brother . Being insulting doesn't make your view point right. Whose to say who the mentally ill one really is. Not us, that's for sure. During the cooler months my ex, and I would bring our little dog into HD, and petco, and she loved it. Overwhelmed with joy because she loved being where we were. And all the new smells, what fun. It really did help her see new things, and get socialized. There were almost always other dogs in HD, and that made it fun for us too. People didn't get uptight about it. When the weather warmed up we would leave her at home so she didn't get hot.

So I'm on the side of the dog visitation people except I wouldn't stay away from HD if they didn't allow them. Not wild about the aggressive breeds though since I've had a run in with 2 pitties.

We will never agree. Everyone wants their own way. Just be reasonable.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:42 PM

23,586 posts, read 70,350,712 times
As long as they haven't banned my pet elephant, I'm good. He is very good at picking out the best lumber in a stack, and makes loading the van much easier. Mind you, we always go to the garden section when he has to take a dump. I have no idea on how he knows to do so, but if you get a bonus pack when you buy black cow, you can thank my elephant.

I can't even imagine what life would be like if they banned Dumbo. Why, what next? No Starbucks for Dumbo? I'm OUTRAGED! No perusing the ladies lingerie section of Khols? How rude! Dumbo has spent at least $50 there.

My real problem though is that airlines don't seem to warm up to the idea of a support elephant on flights. I can't imagine why. To top it off, some of them actually told me to "get a life!!!"

Old 04-27-2018, 08:44 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,054,460 times
My last ancient dog loved to got to Home Depot, especially when the weather was either too hot or too icy to walk. She loved the socialization with all the people who would pet her and the employees always greeted her and gave her treats. On her bucket list weekend before she passed away that was one of the places we visited. I never got any shopping done but it wasn't about me it was for her. Hoping that my local HD doesn't enforce the rule.

We're currently on vacation and I appreciate all the dog friendly restaurants we have encountered as well as a Air & Space Museum. I'm not big on taking my pups shopping but it is nice to have the option if necessary.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:06 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,591 times
I think the bringing your pet everywhere thing is overdone now. I've seen people bring their dogs into IKEA, even though signage restricts to service dogs. I've seen people bring their dog into the movie theater. If you're that emotionally dependent on your dog, maybe you should just stay home.

I'm willing to bet safety and liability are Home Depot's reasoning moreso than people being scared of dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.