Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 03:24 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Believe me I am trying but he is relentless. I feel it's half sexual as he is worse with my 2 female spayed cats than me or my neutered male dog.

See, my vet is saying the opposite and that certain cancers (of course testicular/prostate in nature) will be eliminated with neutering. Years ago he even neutered a 12 yr old male stray I found for preventative reasons.

I am bringing this up as I am sure LOTS of people are being told this by their vets too. Will starting him early on ortho supplements help prevent future problems, you think? The only thing my vet mentioned is I could stop the puppy food and switch to regular after. He said the puppy food just adds more calories he won't need.
Well I don't think that still correlates to sexual, could be the cats are easy targets? Idk. I've seen dogs relentless hump pillows or stuffed animals.

Your vet isn't saying opposite, I don't disagree with your vet. BUT since the risk of your dog dying from testicular cancer is insignificant (less than 1%) I don't see as a big an issue compared to serious cancers correlated to early spay / neuter. Both bone cancer and cardiac cancer are serious lethal cancers. I would worry much more if you have a large breed since they seem to be a big issue in certain large breeds, but either is possible in any breed. Triple risk of hypothyroidism also. With other issues like urinary tract cancer or prostate cancer the increased risk in neutered dog is insignificant. Prostate issues are more common in intact dogs and maybe that's what your vet meant? That's basically what mine had told me also was the same thing found in studies neutered dogs are at only a slightly increased risk for prostate cancer and intact dogs have a risk for (non cancerous) prostate issues, like enlarged prostate. A sign would be terrible urinating.

Imo neutering for preventative reasons is silly, since there are not great risk of serious problems, nor one's that couldn't be corrected later with neuter. I have no issue if someone wants to neuter either. Personal choice. But neutering a 12 year old dog to "prevent" something doesn't make sense to me. My 11 year old will remain intact unless there ever arises a need to alter.

When it comes to female I think it IS better to spay, but still wait until maturity. Pyometra can be deadly if not caught quick and spay almost 100% eliminates that chance.

Idk how much the supplements will help. It is a compound issue genetics, activity and diet, but early neuter has been shown to increase risk even more. The cost of CCL tear in surgery is very expensive, as are other ortho issues. The problem is also greater in certain breeds (even higher risk with early neuter), but Beagles are not one of those breeds to my knowledge. If you really want to neuter I would hold out a few more months, ince the growth platelets are all done.

Also for anyone if you find you can deal with your dog during testosterone peak around 9 months old (this will reduce) you will have been through some significant hormone increase and have survived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 03:29 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Your vet is correct. He has the medical knowledge to determine this. Untrained people do not. Your dog deserves a healthy and happy life.
Um not all vets agree. Considering vets do contradict each other we can't assume a vet is correct. There are those that actually understand the complex issue of behavior. The people involved in studies on increased health risks associated with neutering include those with medical training, Phds, ect. Dogs do deserve happy and healthy lives, neutering doesn't guarantee this, nor does keeping the dog intact.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:35 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
The idea that dogs have to be neutered/spayed is a very North American idea. It's not necessarily the view elsewhere, such as places like Norway or Germany. I would not want to go back to the days of so many unwanted dogs running around. I think the situation here has historically been different. I do however think that spaying and neutering ought to not automatically be pushed the way it is here as there are scientifically a host of issues it causes.

https://www.nitrocanine.com/blog/201...told-be-wrong/

Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
That is pretty normal behavior. My male pup certainly tried it. That is a training issue. I let my pup know that was NOT acceptable behavior, just like I taught him barking, chewing inappropriate things, and eliminating inside were not allowed. If he even looked like he was thinking about it, I told him to knock it off.

Both intact male spaniels who I have raised in the last 30 years (at different times) have gone through an adolescent phase where they attempted frequently to mount my limbs. It was not difficult to teach them that this was not allowed, just repetition with a firm voice. My last male dog (neutered around the age of 10 years) retained a sex drive that was occasionally expressed with a very large teddy bear he'd had for awhile; my current dog, intact at 11, occasionally mounts younger male dogs at the dog park (who seem not to mind, I always ask the owners if my dog is too much for their dogs, and if necessary will leash him). I don't have any plans to neuter my male dog; I asked my vet about it some two years ago and he said it wasn't necessary. It's certainly not as if my dog is running unsupervised around the county siring unwanted (or any) pups.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:29 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
A beagle, eh? Well, as you may know, that will make things a little more difficult! Pretty independent breed. I pretty much agree with other folks posting replies about the humping - although Otto sounds a little harsh, he/she also tends to write things that sound a bit more dramatic than what I think he/she does in actual life.

Now, as for the changes I've observed as a result of neutering. Neutering will make for a more docile puppy, but that also translates into a more submissive/subservient adult. I will have to take the scientists' word about more aggressive, but I do think it can make them snappier as adults - not as calm and confident in daily life. More likely to handle things in a snippy sort of fashion. This is not hard and fast - it is trends. The neutered dog is more likely to avoid conflict, IMO, which is great as a pup, but less desirable as an adult. I want my adult dogs to stand up to challenges, not run away. I don't want an aggressive dog, but I DO want a calm and confident dog. (BTW, the words I am finding to describe this are woefully inadequate.)

The changes I've noticed are less likely to be seen if the dog is older than 1 yr when neutered.

As for normashirley's comment - maybe its right, but I'll give the scientific studies the benefit of the doubt for now.
Glad you are aware of some of the challenges I am facing. Beagles are known to be difficult to train. Sweet natured dogs but stubborn. Nothing like some of the herding breeds I have owned. I am hoping I won't have to worry about "snippy" as most beagles aren't by nature. You may be aware they are the breed of choice for laboratory experiments primarily for that reason and their size.

The title of this thread really concerned me as my biggest motivation to neuter ASAP is to prevent any aggression. I have another male beagle, but have been assured by many that as long as both are neutered I am unlikely to have problems.

Like another poster pointed out I went by my vet's recommendation and he stated when asked that there would be no issues and anytime after 16 weeks and upon receiving their final vaccinations is fine. I have an appt set up, but have some doubts now.

I did do more research on beagles specifically and the BeaglePro site recommends 4-6 months also. They even state with males the earlier the better.

They mention the only "known" risk is spay incontinence with females. The other "possible" risks; cancer, bone formation, etc. aren't proven and haven't had enough research.

The Best Age to Spay or Neuter
When it comes to health, the earlier the better. Clinical studies show that a female dog’s best chance of good health is to be spayed before her first heat.

The odds of developing mammary cancer increases as she enters each heat. To offer her the best chance of a long and health life, a female Beagle should be spayed at the age of 4 to 5 months old. However, even if an owner waits, having this done at any age will help to increase the life span of the dogs.

For males, it is also suggested that the earlier the better. It is best if a male is neutered at a young age before habits are formed.

Beagle Pro | Spaying / Neutering Information

I also checked the BeagleWorld forums and 4 to 6 months is very popular there. Some do 6 to 8 but that is the latest. So maybe breed should be factored in with decisions.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 AM

1,201 posts, read 802,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Glad you are aware of some of the challenges I am facing. Beagles are known to be difficult to train. Sweet natured dogs but stubborn. Nothing like some of the herding breeds I have owned. I am hoping I won't have to worry about "snippy" as most beagles aren't by nature. You may be aware they are the breed of choice for laboratory experiments primarily for that reason and their size.

The title of this thread really concerned me as my biggest motivation to neuter ASAP is to prevent any aggression. I have another male beagle, but have been assured by many that as long as both are neutered I am unlikely to have problems.

Like another poster pointed out I went by my vet's recommendation and he stated when asked that there would be no issues and anytime after 16 weeks and upon receiving their final vaccinations is fine. I have an appt set up, but have some doubts now.

I did do more research on beagles specifically and the BeaglePro site recommends 4-6 months also. They even state with males the earlier the better.

They mention the only "known" risk is spay incontinence with females. The other "possible" risks; cancer, bone formation, etc. aren't proven and haven't had enough research.

The Best Age to Spay or Neuter
When it comes to health, the earlier the better. Clinical studies show that a female dog’s best chance of good health is to be spayed before her first heat.

The odds of developing mammary cancer increases as she enters each heat. To offer her the best chance of a long and health life, a female Beagle should be spayed at the age of 4 to 5 months old. However, even if an owner waits, having this done at any age will help to increase the life span of the dogs.

For males, it is also suggested that the earlier the better. It is best if a male is neutered at a young age before habits are formed.

Beagle Pro | Spaying / Neutering Information

I also checked the BeagleWorld forums and 4 to 6 months is very popular there. Some do 6 to 8 but that is the latest. So maybe breed should be factored in with decisions.
With one exception, I don't think breed is a consideration for the decision. Almost all issues for which owners look to altering a dog to prevent or cure are training issues. I got frustrated with my own dog years ago when he was around a year old. I was having trouble with keeping his focus at dog shows and keeping his head off the ground - the nose was constantly working! In my frustration, I said I guessed I was going to have to neuter him. I was overheard by a couple of trainers/experienced competitors. They gave me a bit of a dressing down, telling me that if I wanted to neuter my dog, that was fine, but make sure it was for the right reasons. The said neutering was not going to fix my dog's focus/attention and ground sniffing problem as those were training issues. They pointed to the confirmation rings where all the dogs were intact, with males and females right beside each other, yet all focused and paying attention to the handlers. They told me if I neutered my dog, I'll still be dealing with focus and sniffing issues, he just wouldn't have balls. Neutering is to prevent accidental procreation, nothing more. I definitely would NOT consider neutering before the dog is fully grown and all the growth plates closed land he is showing mental maturity. I'm not a breeder but I can also tell just by looking at dogs if they are altered. People frequently comment on how small my miniature schnauzer is. And he is compared to any that you see out in public (save those horrid "toy/teacup" schnauzers from disreputable breeders). But I always tell him he is the perfect size for the breed and to the breed standard. Dogs altered before they are finished growing grow larger than they would be otherwise, and bones can grow and stop growing at different rates, and they are thinner, so you can get an odd conformation in the end.

https://www.saveadog.org/Documents/E...SpayNeuter.pdf

http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/...tions_2013.pdf

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...joint-disease/

http://veterinarytechnicianguide.com...utering-a-dog/

Old 05-21-2018, 02:58 PM

768 posts, read 858,141 times
Egads. couldn't read all these asinine posts. Blaming spay and neuter for a dog's bad behavior. What....? Is he mad you removed his gonads? Really. I have had many animals throughout my lifetime and the ONLY reason to leave them intact is to show them toward a championship in order to breed them. Any other reason is just ludicrous.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Egads. couldn't read all these asinine posts. Blaming spay and neuter for a dog's bad behavior. What....? Is he mad you removed his gonads? Really. I have had many animals throughout my lifetime and the ONLY reason to leave them intact is to show them toward a championship in order to breed them. Any other reason is just ludicrous.
What are your credentials? Have you written any papers or conducted any peer-review studies on the matter? I'd love to read them.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:56 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,097,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Agreed but then again the OP tends to post some really asinine things from time to time so I usually take his posts with a grain of salt. lol

Old 05-22-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Agreed but then again the OP tends to post some really asinine things from time to time so I usually take his posts with a grain of salt. lol
Perhaps you didn't read the sources of the information. I didn't come up with this myself and it the information is widely accepted by knowledgeable dog people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs