Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 10:37 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,391,254 times

Advertisements

One of the dogs even went after first responders

They weighed no more than 40 pounds each and reached just up to one's knees, but all together, a pack of seven dachshunds proved a deadly force in Oklahoma. Carter County Sheriff Chris Bryant says 52-year-old Tracy Garcia was mauled and killed Thursday night by her neighbor's dogs near her home outside Ardmore, KXII reports.

Oklahoma Woman Killed After Attack by 7 Dachshunds

Old 05-19-2018, 11:19 PM

17,264 posts, read 11,085,176 times
A dachshund is suppose to weight between 16 and 32 pounds max. Those must have been some pretty large and or obese dachshunds. Their combined weight was 280 pounds. No wonder the poor woman wasn't able to defend herself. The article said 6 of them were a dachshund terrier mix. Hmm, I wonder what kind of terrier that was.....

Old 05-19-2018, 11:33 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,490,141 times
This dachshund/pit mix became a viral sensation. It wouldn't surprise me due to his popularity to see people trying to breed them now.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/02/22/us/da...dor/index.html

Old 05-19-2018, 11:52 PM

36,962 posts, read 40,902,803 times
Caution, there is a photo of the dog killed by the police at the link.

Woman Dies, Mauled by Dachshund Mixed Dogs: Report | PEOPLE.com

"According to the euthanasia technician, Amanda Dinwiddie, all of the dogs were standard dachshund – also known as sausage or weiner dogs – mixes, with six of the canines being a mix of dachshund and terrier, while the other was believed to be a border collie mix.

'A predominant breed in these dogs is definitely standard dachshund,' Dinwiddie told KXII-12. 'They have really noticeable characteristics like their knobby legs, knees, very short legged dogs and their coats.'”

Old 05-20-2018, 12:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 793,554 times
Clarified Ari James of The Ardmorite at 11:31 a.m., also on May 11, 2018, “All seven of the dogs involved were rounded up by Ardmore police department’s animal control officers. According to Ardmore Police Department records, the animals were taken to Westwood Veterinary Hospital, then were delivered deceased later to the Ardmore Animal Shelter.”

C. Douglas Aldridge, DVM.
(Westwood Veterinary Hospital photo)
DVM: pit bull & four pit-mix pups

Stated Westwood Veterinary Hospital senior veterinarian C. Douglas Aldridge, DVM, via Facebook on May 15, 2018, after controversy over the dogs’ identities arose, “The dogs appeared to me to be a pit bull and four pit bull mix puppies. Who knows what the female was?” Aldridge said of the one dog whose ancestry appeared to be uncertain. “She looked to me like an Australian shepherd mixed with something with short legs.”

Old 05-20-2018, 01:34 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,584,950 times
The one photo I've seen of the dog that was shot did not look like an obvious pit bull mix; it could have been German Shepherd x Dachshund, or another Dachshund mix. I'm not saying that it's impossible that the dogs were part Pit Bull; but just that I have seen no evidence that proves it. From what the article said, the dogs were in poor condition; infested by ticks and fleas. Dogs so poorly kept could also have been raised as semi-feral or not trained at all. Sorry that the poor woman was killed...

Old 05-20-2018, 08:19 AM

17,264 posts, read 11,085,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Caution, there is a photo of the dog killed by the police at the link.

Woman Dies, Mauled by Dachshund Mixed Dogs: Report | PEOPLE.com

"According to the euthanasia technician, Amanda Dinwiddie, all of the dogs were standard dachshund – also known as sausage or weiner dogs – mixes, with six of the canines being a mix of dachshund and terrier, while the other was believed to be a border collie mix.

'A predominant breed in these dogs is definitely standard dachshund,' Dinwiddie told KXII-12. 'They have really noticeable characteristics like their knobby legs, knees, very short legged dogs and their coats.'”
The dog is either a standard dachshund or it isn't. There is no such thing as a standard dachshund that is part terrier as well. The euthanasia technician, sadly doesn't know what she's talking about if she thinks otherwise. If a dachshund or any pure breed is mixed with another breed or unknown breed than it becomes a mutt.

Last edited by marino760; 05-20-2018 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 09:43 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,692,869 times
Look like Doxie x Bull Terrier by the body and muzzle. Its not unbelievable. Once the woman falls down the dogs could essily maul to death.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:49 AM

7,238 posts, read 9,209,354 times
It's unbelievable the bizarre mixes people think up. When I was looking for a dog, strange mixes were so common I gave up and went to a breeder. Out here pit bull mixes are not common but there were other mixes with made up cutsy names and genetically similar health or temperament issues selling for hundreds or thousands of dollars. It gave me no confidence that any of the mixed breed mutts would be healthier than a purebred dog or temperamentally better due to the nature of the mixes. There were no Heinz57s of the variety I knew growing up. There were deliberate attempts to cash in on what was originally a goldendoodle craze.

I was so discouraged. I went with what I know and when you get a purebred dog from a good breeder, at least you know what the inclinations of that breed are. I'm not cutting breeders any slack since many, if not most of them, didn't attempt to improve their breed, as witnessed by dogs with breathing problems due to overly short noses, or the German shepherd bred for a certain look that doesn't allow for walking (#sarcasm). The proof is in the pudding.

And what a dreadful story.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:52 AM

36,962 posts, read 40,902,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The dog is either a standard dachshund or it isn't. There is no such thing as a standard dachshund that is part terrier as well. The euthanasia technician, sadly doesn't know what she's talking about if she thinks otherwise. If a dachshund or any pure breed is mixed with another breed or unknown breed than it becomes a mutt.
You may want to read it again.

"... all of the dogs were standard dachshund – also known as sausage or weiner dogs – mixes."

The part between the dashes just defines a dachshund, presumably for those who are unfamiliar with the word.

The dead dog in the photo does not look anything like a pit mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.